To spotify.. or not to spotify?

allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
Forum Member
✭✭
Don't know how many of you on here use Spotify but I downloaded the free version which is incredibly irritating as you can't shuffle the order and you get random ads suddenly while you're listening to your music.
Thing is, the monthly cost for subscription seems very steep (I don't earn much!) so I wonder if any of you know if there's a cheaper way of doing this. I only want the occasional individual track and £10 a month (or whatever) seems rather extortionate! At least with iTunes I only pay 79p per track.... can't do that on my android phone though!:confused:

Comments

• allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sphinxy1 wrote: »

Thanks, sphynxy - are there any deals there to avoid? Wondering if you do it month by month you end up paying more?
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just buy music from the Google Play Store if you prefer buying single tracks?
  • Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Thanks, sphynxy - are there any deals there to avoid? Wondering if you do it month by month you end up paying more?

Well it's usually £10.00 per month for premium so you can buy a bulk deal on eBay which works out much cheaper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    Why not just buy music from the Google Play Store if you prefer buying single tracks?

Er..... I didn't think of that!:blush::blush::blush: (As an excuse - I'm old and new to Android!:D) Will have a look at that now and also the ebay option.
    Thanks, guys!
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth mentioning if you're a student, or know a student with an NUS card (which costs £12/year I think), you can get Spotify Premium for £4.99/month. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth mentioning if you're a student, or know a student with an NUS card (which costs £12/year I think), you can get Spotify Premium for £4.99/month. :)

Damn! I've missed out by about 40 years!>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Rival Deezer sometimes has half price offers on.More or less the same as Spotify.
  • joelukenjoeluken Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    Damn! I've missed out by about 40 years!>:(

Lol - NUS is also available to mature students such as those studying at the OU.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sphinxy1 wrote: »
    eBay is usually your best bet for a code:

Thanks for the heads up on that.

I take it the ones advertising "Spotify Premium - FREE FOREVER!" for £1.99 and similar are ones to avoid (they seem to just be selling some instructions on how to keep on signing up for month long trials).
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I love Spotify, well worth the tenner a month. Its the equivalent of walking into a HMV or Virgin Megastore back in the mid 90's and saying "Right, everybody out, this shop is mine now". Back then you would have got arrested or had to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds to own a whole CD shop - now you can do it for a tenner a month.

When I listen to an artist I love browsing the section "Appears on" as you discover lots of forgotten and new gems that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    binary wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on that.

I take it the ones advertising "Spotify Premium - FREE FOREVER!" for £1.99 and similar are ones to avoid (they seem to just be selling some instructions on how to keep on signing up for month long trials).
    :D I saw that too and first thought: WOW! But then you read on......:(
    I love Spotify, well worth the tenner a month. Its the equivalent of walking into a HMV or Virgin Megastore back in the mid 90's and saying "Right, everybody out, this shop is mine now". Back then you would have got arrested or had to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds to own a whole CD shop - now you can do it for a tenner a month.

When I listen to an artist I love browsing the section "Appears on" as you discover lots of forgotten and new gems that way.

I loved my free trial of Spotify but I just don't think I'd make enough use of it for a tenner a month. If I earned a decent wage I wouldn't hesitate!
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to use Spotify a lot, but recently had a 3 months free trial of Google Music. Have to say, I think I'll be paying £10 a month once the trial ends after Christmas as its like having a music store on your device. I'm really loving it (and I've already uploaded my CD collection to it, and Google Music stores 20,000 of your songs for free even without subscription).

:) Mark
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My Sunday mornings watching my son at Rugby practice wouldn't be the same without my Sony Reader and Spotify - there are some curious omissions on Spotify, but overall it can make for some brilliant listening.

Its like the HMV megastore but without the obscure 12" remixes and picture discs.