Options

Mum spent £3k taxpayers' money on holiday of a lifetime - and doesn't feel guilty

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet it was a shit holiday. Imagine taking a 10 month old baby round the world. What's supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip most undoubtedly turned into a procession of airports, while dragging a crying, jet-lagged, disorientated baby around. My idea of hell!
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I work and I can't go on holiday, my honeymoon last year was the first time I had been on holiday abroad in nearly 20 years. So seeing someone claim benefits and go on a holiday that I can only dream of right now pisses me off somewhat.

And maybe she should ask the father(a professional Rugby player apparently) to support the child, I read the other day she doesn't feel that she needs to ask him because the state can pay for it instead.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is only doing what thousands of young mothers do and realises that being a stay at home mum and claiming benefits makes more financial sense than working full-time and paying for childcare. However unlike a lot of women she wants to go back into work when the child is old enough, rather then live a life on benefits. I don't begrudge a mother taking a few years out of a 40 year work career to spend time with the child.
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the people justifying her are either lazy unemployed slobs or simply lack intelligence - or is it the same thing?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    All the people justifying her are either lazy unemployed slobs or simply lack intelligence - or is it the same thing?

How do you work that out.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Strangely enough, those that simply reply with a knee-jerk "benefits = scroungers, m'kay" response are the ones lacking in intelligence. If you condone OR justify this story and can provide some kind of justification then that's fine, but a simple, "IT'S BAD" is utterly pointless (as is simply saying it's fine).
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's rather ironic coming from you :D
  • Options
    LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I work and I can't go on holiday, my honeymoon last year was the first time I had been on holiday abroad in nearly 20 years. So seeing someone claim benefits and go on a holiday that I can only dream of right now pisses me off somewhat.

And maybe she should ask the father(a professional Rugby player apparently) to support the child, I read the other day she doesn't feel that she needs to ask him because the state can pay for it instead.

This is what I never get.

Why should anyone pay taxes for her benefits if the father of the child contributes nothing?

Is it my responsibility or his (and hers)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lkjh wrote: »
    This is what I never get.

Why should anyone pay taxes for her benefits if the father of the child contributes nothing?

Is it my responsibility or his (and hers)?

Well the DWP or the courts have not managed to get him to pay, so if the legal system cannot its not her fault
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well the DWP or the courts have not managed to get him to pay, so if the legal system cannot its not her fault

Have they tried?

"However, she does not receive any money from her daughter's father, a professional rugby player she met in Rome but now lives in Australia, saying she asked him not to pay maintenance because she doesn't need it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2963750/Benefits-single-mother-admits-spending-3-000-taxpayers-cash-dream-round-world-trip-Australia-Bali-Dubai.html#ixzz3Sma7ncAa
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with smoking, I don't care what people spend their benefit money on. It's her money, she's entitled to spend it on what she wants.

This!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have they tried?

"However, she does not receive any money from her daughter's father, a professional rugby player she met in Rome but now lives in Australia, saying she asked him not to pay maintenance because she doesn't need it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2963750/Benefits-single-mother-admits-spending-3-000-taxpayers-cash-dream-round-world-trip-Australia-Bali-Dubai.html#ixzz3Sma7ncAa
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

Well i tend to believe facts, not what the newspapers say. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-30955060&ei=CRjuVK3WOOmX7AaTzoCwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGKWLApAXsFkYsGp5NL5oymYKdZJg&bvm=bv.86956481,d.ZGU&cad=rja Also it is very difficult and in a lot of debt cases no chance of recovering money from someone who does not live in this country.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    This!

Agreed

And to add to that I hope she had a good time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are no conditions surrounding what she should spend the money on, so who cares?

Besides, to go to all the places she did with just £3,000 seems quite frugal and far from a holiday of a lifetime if you ask me! My wife and I are off to Vegas again in May - just the hotel and flights alone will cost nearly £3k for a one-week stay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well i tend to believe facts, not what the newspapers say. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-30955060&ei=CRjuVK3WOOmX7AaTzoCwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGKWLApAXsFkYsGp5NL5oymYKdZJg&bvm=bv.86956481,d.ZGU&cad=rja Also it is very difficult and in a lot of debt cases no chance of recovering money from someone who does not live in this country.

Well it is a fact that lots of parents don't pay maintenance but this doesn't answer whether anyone has tried to get the father to pay in this case.

It still seems to me that the father isn't and therefore we have to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    There are no conditions surrounding what she should spend the money on, so who cares?

Besides, to go to all the places she did with just £3,000 seems quite frugal and far from a holiday of a lifetime if you ask me! My wife and I are off to Vegas again in May - just the hotel and flights alone will cost nearly £3k for a one-week stay!

Well evidently a lot of posters on here do care.

Such benefits should pay for essentials not for holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it is a fact that lots of parents don't pay maintenance but this doesn't answer whether anyone has tried to get the father to pay in this case.

It still seems to me that the father isn't and therefore we have to.

Well unless its changed the DWP used to try, but in cases like this were the person does not live in the uk, they have no powers at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Her parents were helping her out by thier own free choice, as when someone turns 18 parents have no leagl duty to surpport their children
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did this news story make the newspapers? A family "friend" with a grudge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, that's not how it works, is it? You cannot tell me what to do with the child benefit we receive and neither can I tell you what to do with any benefits you may receive. To be frank, the posters who do care should maybe burst a blood vessel worrying about something more important than what others are spending their own money on.

Besides, it wouldn't be a workable scheme anyway.

What next, NHS only available for essential treatments that aren't self inflicted?
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with smoking, I don't care what people spend their benefit money on. It's her money, she's entitled to spend it on what she wants.

I actually think it's tax payer's money.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »

you think wrong ..... it's government money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is only doing what thousands of young mothers do and realises that being a stay at home mum and claiming benefits makes more financial sense than working full-time and paying for childcare. However unlike a lot of women she wants to go back into work when the child is old enough, rather then live a life on benefits. I don't begrudge a mother taking a few years out of a 40 year work career to spend time with the child.

I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you. If I had a choice however, I'd rather not fund a 'holiday if a lifetime' out of my portion of income tax. I'd much rather it went to someone in genuine need.

I kind of thought that was what benefits were meant to be about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

And where does the government get that money from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    And where does the government get that money from?

You're both wrong. It's her money......very much like if I gave you £50 for your birthday and you spent it on **** and booze, I can't really say "cough, that's my money you're spending!!".