University Challenge 2014-15

1121314151618»

Comments

• LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    No, just giving him the benefit of the doubt in not actually being a moron thinking this question was in any way unfair, assuming the version of it that was actually broadcast was the version Quinn complained about. As any rational person would agree.

And change the record.

But you're contradicting yourself. Earlier you suggested he was talking nonsense but now you're suggesting that he's probably sensible. Before, you also suggested he was being magnanimous, but if so, why would you think he was being a moron?

So what is it? Did he agree with Quinn because he believed he rightly contested the question - his own words - or did he think the objection was wrong and just pretended to agree - something he has not said - to come across well?

Poor.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you're contradicting yourself. Earlier you suggested he was talking nonsense but now you're suggesting that he's probably sensible. Before, you also suggested he was being magnanimous, but if so, why would you think he was being a moron?

So what is it? Did he agree with Quinn because he believed he rightly contested the question - his own words - or did he think the objection was wrong and just pretended to agree - something he has not said - to come across well?

Poor.
    For crying out loud :D

Ok, listen very carefully because I will say this only once.

It is nonsense to suggest that the question we heard was unfair or some sort of trick because many of the UC questions are of the form that only leaves you with a unique answer if you hear the whole thing.

Nowhere have I ever said I think he's a moron, which you would have to be to genuinely think this, so the only solution for such a silly statement on the face of it is that he was just happy to have won and didn't want to start a stupid spat with his opponent. That is if he even cares about it. I'd be amazed if he really thinks the question was unfair, as I say unless we heard an edited version anyway.
    Forum Member
    For crying out loud :D

Ok, listen very carefully because I will say this only once.

It is nonsense to suggest that the question we heard was unfair or some sort of trick because many of the UC questions are of the form that only leaves you with a unique answer if you hear the whole thing.

Nowhere have I ever said I think he's a moron, which you would have to be to genuinely think this, so the only solution for such a silly statement on the face of it is that he was just happy to have won and didn't want to start a stupid spat with his opponent. That is if he even cares about it. I'd be amazed if he really thinks the question was unfair, as I say unless we heard an edited version anyway.

YOU said that YOU thought I was making up what he had said. YOU were proved to be wrong. Since then you have done nothing but make up the scenario and Loveday's motivations to bolster your argument rather than simply accept the facts.

Ted Loveday says that Cameron J Quinn rightly contested the question he believes was poorly worded during the filming of the final.

It's not about the question. It's about you refusing to believe Ted Loveday. You're either suggesting he's silly for thinking the question was unfair or suggesting he was lying when he said Quinn was right. What makes you so sure he only said it because he was just happy to have won?

If it's nonsense, why are you so determined to create a character for Loveday rather than just accept what he says? Is it because it threatens your own argument if you do?
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YOU said that YOU thought I was making up what he had said. YOU were proved to be wrong. Since then you have done nothing but make up the scenario and Loveday's motivations to bolster your argument rather than simply accept the facts.

Ted Loveday says that Cameron J Quinn rightly contested the question he believes was poorly worded during the filming of the final.

It's not about the question. It's about you refusing to believe Ted Loveday. You're either suggesting he's silly for thinking the question was unfair or suggesting he was lying when he said Quinn was right. What makes you so sure he only said it because he was just happy to have won?

If it's nonsense, why are you so determined to create a character for Loveday rather than just accept what he says? Is it because it threatens your own argument if you do?

Shouldn't bother anymore. Some people have no grace and are unable to admit when they are wrong. Just be glad you don't have to put up with them in real life!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh stop being a complete fool.

The bottom line is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the question, and if Loveday agreed with the complaint then he either a) didn't understand the complaint properly or just didn't care, or b) was being generous to an opponent because he had just won a quiz. This is because I don't think he's stupid enough to actually think there was anything wrong with the question which he coped with perfectly well at the time, and why I was surprised that he would have agreed with the complaint in the first place.

Basically your take on the question is complete nonsense, which is presumably why you are now saying "It's not about the question", and you're now just dragging this out as long as you can to try and score internet points. Or something.

As I have found so often, there is no point arguing with cloth brained fools, so have it your own way. Which seems to be both ways now anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    Shouldn't bother anymore. Some people have no grace and are unable to admit when they are wrong. Just be glad you don't have to put up with them in real life!
    Hilarious. Has your friend admitted she was wrong about the question being unfair yet? I think not.
    Forum Member
    Oh stop being a complete fool.

The bottom line is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the question, and if Loveday agreed with the complaint then he either a) didn't understand the complaint properly or just didn't care, or b) was being generous to an opponent because he had just won a quiz. This is because I don't think he's stupid enough to actually think there was anything wrong with the question which he coped with perfectly well at the time, and why I was surprised that he would have agreed with the complaint in the first place.

Basically your take on the question is complete nonsense, which is presumably why you are now saying "It's not about the question", and you're now just dragging this out as long as you can to try and score internet points. Or something.

As I have found so often, there is no point arguing with cloth brained fools, so have it your own way. Which seems to be both ways now anyway.

Resorting to name calling and insults? Again, poor technique.

Here's the truth...

You cannot agree with Loveday as that would contradict your own argument. Instead you have created a false scenario to validate it to somehow have him agree with you by proxy. It's ridiculous.

Just stop tying yourself in knots and admit defeat.
  • Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you two still arguing the toss????????

Settle it with pistols at dawn and be done with it if it is that important for either of you to be right
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magnanimity : thats would Loveday embodied....and its a dying art.
    It was so refreshing to see someone conveying this quality,whether he lost or won.

Loveday and Quinn were opposites, the one self sacrificing, the other self serving.And in a way they illustrated in person the societies we have / hope for. Quin is what we have, Loveday is what we hope for. You can see all that so clearly in their facial expressions and mannerisms.

Id love to see someone write a play around this and the two characters involved.

Its odd, because clearly Oxford wanted to be memorable for being the only ones to introduces themselves by first names alone, yet i cant remember any of them. I only remember surnames! Yet Loveday is immediately memorable for being simple and loveable Ted Loveday. What a name! Its a gift for playwrights!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the current thread? Good episode tonight, I thought. Gutted for Glasgow, but I'm sure we''ll see them again.
  • Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Is this the current thread? Good episode tonight, I thought. Gutted for Glasgow, but I'm sure we''ll see them again.

If we do perhaps their captain can wash her hair in advance of the show
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    If we do perhaps their captain can wash her hair in advance of the show

Is that a requirement for intellectual excellence?
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Paxman shouldn't have allowed 'Pennine Trail'. Way off the mark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Paxman shouldn't have allowed 'Pennine Trail'. Way off the mark.
    Especially when he disqualified the other answer for being "too specific". Retirement and Channel 4 have affected him. He's dumbing down already. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally when the captain mishears an answer from teammate he disallows it, but to say "you meant Avogadro didn't you?" and give them the points was ridiculous.

I thought he was also very patronising to the woman who knew the football answers, and personally I would have gone for "but we do need the answers in English please" rather than the slightly sneery "you Welsh by any chance?".
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normally when the captain mishears an answer from teammate he disallows it, but to say "you meant Avogadro didn't you?" and give them the points was ridiculous.

I thought he was also very patronising to the woman who knew the football answers, and personally I would have gone for "but we do need the answers in English please" rather than the slightly sneery "you Welsh by any chance?".

Please note- there is a new thread (already on page 3) for the 2015/16 series of UC.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2092377&page=3