Options

You are very rich and Ed Balls wants you to pay more tax

2»

Comments

• Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being a parasite or a selfish greedy bas..... person, I know myself well enough to know that if was a multimillionaire regardless of how I came by my wealth, I would have no problem whatsoever with doing my fair share and contributing towards making this country the great place it is,

As I have done as a poor working class person throughout my entire working life,

If you want a decent health service for everyone, if you want decent welfare system for everyone, if want decent roads, police, infrastructure public services etc etc, then it has to be damn well paid for,

I have often said that there are plenty of very wealthy people out there who have no problem with paying the tax they owe to this nation and I have nothing but the deepest respect for them and wish them well,

As for the wealthy parasites who do all they can to avoid contributing from the nation that has enabled them (in many cases) to become so wealthy, if they think they are paying too much tax, then I will be more than happy to pay double whatever they are supposed to pay if they are happy to swap bank accounts and homes,
    As yet I have had no offers.
  • Options
    LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Not being a parasite or a selfish greedy bas..... person, I know myself well enough to know that if was a multimillionaire regardless of how I came by my wealth, I would have no problem whatsoever with doing my fair share and contributing towards making this country the great place it is,

As I have done as a poor working class person throughout my entire working life,

If you want a decent health service for everyone, if you want decent welfare system for everyone, if want decent roads, police, infrastructure public services etc etc, then it has to be damn well paid for,

I have often said that there are plenty of very wealthy people out there who have no problem with paying the tax they owe to this nation and I have nothing but the deepest respect for them and wish them well,

As for the wealthy parasites who do all they can to avoid contributing from the nation that has enabled them (in many cases) to become so wealthy, if they think they are paying too much tax, then I will be more than happy to pay double whatever they are supposed to pay if they are happy to swap bank accounts and homes,
    As yet I have had no offers.

Why would someone who has got more money than you want to swap with you?
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lkjh wrote: »
    Why would someone who has got more money than you want to swap with you?

I was making the point, probably not very well, that quite a lot of very wealthy people whine and bleat about how much tax they have to pay, while living a life of luxury,

and that if they would like to swap my income and my tax outgoings for half their income and double their tax out goings I would be more than happy to do so,
  • Options
    LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I was making the point, probably not very well, that quite a lot of very wealthy people whine and bleat about how much tax they have to pay, while living a life of luxury,

and that if they would like to swap my income and my tax outgoings for half their income and double their tax out goings I would be more than happy to do so,

I'm sure you would as would I (swap places with someone richer).

However they have earned their money and you and I have earned ours.

We need to note that the rich pay far more tax than the poor and the question is really how much more they should pay.

Currently I think it is about right.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    razorboy wrote: »
    I thought the rich were supposed to be the wealth creators and therefore have more to gain from having a well educated workforce, modern reliable infrastructure and the maintaining of law and order

But the workforce have more to lose when everyone who creates the ideas and business behind acquiring wealth , or does the professional jobs, vanishes overseas, to somewhere warmer - with lower taxes.

And as most of the population does something inessential, for people who can afford it, if you lose chunks of the the people who can afford it, you just get massive unemployment, You lose the tax take those people would have been paying if they didn't leave, and any employment they create - and you just swap people getting more in benefits, and some more in government jobs, for people made unemployed elsewhere. .

You can already see this in action down to the level of junior doctors fleeing the NHS to Dubai or Australia, . Labours problem is that its as easy to do most top jobs overseas as here, and the mega rich can live and spend their money anywhere. At worst you make no money because the people who stay just avoid the tax, and the ones who couldn't avoid it, or were dubious they could, leave. Higher tax rates, just to appease jealous voters, are self defeating.

One of the features of this election is that it all occurs in a vaccuum- isolated from world experience elsewhere. The idea of higher taxes was tested to destruction by Hollande. The need for a nuclear deterrent, and replacing it when it wears out , is unchallenged in every other nuclear power, and Greece is showing just how fantastically ridiculous an anti- austerity is if you try it. Some of our politicians seem to reside in a fantasy world version of 1978.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    Not fair at all. Fair would be a single consistent rate of tax for the same level of service offered.

Luxury goods cost more because they supposedly provide more value than lower priced goods. Therefore it is reasonable to charge more for these.

Taxation is intended to support the provision of services to citizens. There is no upscaling of the level of service offered to higher tax payers. So there is no logical and fair basis to charge wealthier people more tax.

The main reason for charging the wealthy more is to appease those with less wealth who believe they are getting a "fairer" deal.
    I think the main reason is because they have most of the money and they are also the most able to survive with a little less money and they benefit greatly from living in a society rather than lawless anarchy. So yeah if your rich it comes down to keeping the far poorer masses from turning on you with pitchforks but the current status quo was created by the wealth to forestall violent social revolution, same as the wealthy used to pay for the bread and circuses to stop the poor masses from rioting and turning on their betters.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What would you prefer to receive 30% of £1million or 50% of nothing?

45% more like it