The Lucy Beale / Melissa Suffield Axing Saga (Merged)

LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems to me EastEnders is on really thin ice - The majority of the half-decent characters aren't going to be in it by next year. Where are they going to go from here?

I don't know, it's just my opinion of course, but all these pathetic attempts at re-vamping the show and all this. Just making EastEnders a bit lacklustre and kind of irritating for me. I'm not really compelled to watch it anymore, which is a shame as I enjoy looking forward to it when it's good.

And now it's axe of Melissa Suffield seems kind of unnecessary and a total overreaction.

Humph :(

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a222578/eastenders-bosses-axe-unruly-actress.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to me EastEnders is on really thin ice - The majority of the half-decent characters aren't going to be in it by next year. Where are they going to go from here?

I don't know, it's just my opinion of course, but all these pathetic attempts at re-vamping the show and all this. Just making EastEnders a bit lacklustre and kind of irritating for me. I'm not really compelled to watch it anymore, which is a shame as I enjoy looking forward to it when it's good.

And now it's axe of Melissa Suffield seems kind of unnecessary and a total overreaction.

I wouldn't say its on thin ice all its going through is a creative renewal
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,954
    Forum Member
    It will. Ian, Jane, christian, Max, tanya (Not back full time till autumn but still), Lucas, all the masoods, phil, ronnie, shirley are not leaving and theyre all good characters who can still carry the show when the other characters leave.

we've also got ones arriving/coming back :)
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member

I've not seen A Revamp in EastEnders
    the show is not changing but the faces are
    and i don't see a problem with that.
    They are axing the people that do nothing now(adam,libby ect)

Melissa was axed for being very stupid
    she was warned and ignored it so its her own fault.

I've been watching since the early 90's and have enjoyed the show ever since and am enjoying it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why DS posters can't understand this. Melissa Suffield is being payed by the BBC and using that money to do something illegal. Something many teenagers do perhaps but it's still illegal. She was warned, she didn't stop, they had every right to let her go.

I really like her and enjoyed that BBC3 doco she fronted but it's very simple to understand why they've 'fired' her.

As for 'the majority of the semi decent characters going', who exactly? Chelsea, Stacey, Peggy, Lucy and Jean? That's five. Perhaps Minty and Liz at a push.

Ian, Dot, Pat, Janine, Phil, Carol, Bianca, Jane, Denise, Max, Shirley, Zainab, Ronnie, Roxy, Tamwar, Masood, Syed, Lucas, Ryan - that's eighteen very decent characters and I've been quite ruthless with who I didn't include in that list. A majority are staying, not going, not to mention that new and returning characters are going to be boosting the cast.

It isn't the producers who have overreacted, it's the DS posters.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    I don't see why DS posters can't understand this. Melissa Suffield is being payed by the BBC and using that money to do something illegal[/i]. Something many teenagers do perhaps but it's still illegal. She was warned, she didn't stop, they had every right to let her go.

I really like her and enjoyed that BBC3 doco she fronted but it's very simple to understand why they've 'fired' her.

As for 'the majority of the semi decent characters going', who exactly? Chelsea, Stacey, Peggy, Lucy and Jean? That's five. Perhaps Minty and Liz at a push.

Ian, Dot, Pat, Janine, Phil, Carol, Bianca, Jane, Denise, Max, Shirley, Zainab, Ronnie, Roxy, Tamwar, Masood, Syed, Lucas, Ryan - that's eighteen very decent characters and I've been quite ruthless with who I didn't include in that list. A majority are staying, not going, not to mention that new and returning characters are going to be boosting the cast.

Lets face it alot of DS posters couldn't understand that Danelle was dead and still think she's coming back:rolleyes:

Thing is it sounds like the BBC gave her chances which she didn't use to get her act together and now shes axed.

I agree with yout eighteen characters and infact there's more then 18 that can carry the show
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    The characters are not bigger than the show.

Of course we will miss the departing characters like Stacey,Jean,Peggy,Charlie etc but the show will go on as good as it was.

B.K knows what he's doing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I don't see why DS posters can't understand this. Melissa Suffield is being payed by the BBC and using that money to do something illegal. Something many teenagers do perhaps but it's still illegal. She was warned, she didn't stop, they had every right to let her go.

I agree....I am sad to see the character of Lucy go but I appreciate that her misbehaviour is unacceptable and obviously it has been discussed with her on numerous occassions with no improvement. When it comes down to it she is an employee who has been warned over her behaviour and has not improved so has been sacked. I say fair enough.

The cast that have been cut thus far are deadwood in the most past, some like Lacey and Gillian who have chose to leave will be missed but thats just how things go when actors leave for pastures new. We still have plently of talented actors to watch and new characters will hopefully be exciting. Jake Wood's new relationship is something I am very much so anticipating.

The cull of dire characters like Libby, Chelsea, Minty, Adam etc is welcome imo and while I am sad to see Lucy go it is ultimatley her own fault.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member

Exactly she has been given warnings which she has chosen to ignore, so its her own fault she has been axed. If she wasn't in the public eye and in a regular job it'd be fine but she isn't.

I love the character of Lucy but the actress can easily be replaced.
  • ListedBuzzListedBuzz Posts: 9,042
    Forum Member

Your boss doesn't have the right to tell you what you can and can NOT do with your money, end of!

Stop acting like the BBC is above any other company.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only decent characters going are Stacey, Jean, Peggy, Lucy, Zsa Zsa and Chelsea. Lucy got sacked for behaviour outside the set and the other five quit for their own reasons. The other leavers are rubbish characters anyway.

We have decent characters coming in and coming back. Kat, Alfie, Tanya and Kim are all returning and they are great. We also have Mercy, Grace, Vanessa and Jodie all coming in!
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders will still look pretty much the same next year. It's not like viewers instantly see the likes of Libby, Minty and Adam as the faces of 'EastEnders' if they ever think about the show. I'd say that the only decent characters leaving are Jean and Stacey and they'll be the biggest loss, but out of the other 12 or so characters leaving, that's really nothing.
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ListedBuzz wrote: »
    Your boss doesn't have the right to tell you what you can and can NOT do with your money, end of!

Stop acting like the BBC is above any other company.

Actually... They can. She signed a contract, she was given warnings - she broke their policies. She is an actress playing a character on a soap, and has acted inappropriately. She could have an effect on under 18's with smoking and drinking, as well as the reputation of the soap.

When I was at University, I had a management job in a cinema, nothing big - but, I was not allowed to ever mention work on my social networking. Neither was I allowed to add staff from work, and give off a negative impression.
  • blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Now that
    Lucy
    has been axed from EE, and now that Steven, Cindy, Cathy, Mel, Laura, Elizabeth, Pauline, Lou, Kenny and Pete have all left too, there aren't many of them left and there is speculation that the rest of the family will be axed too. They should be saved as they are one of the longest running families in the soap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    They can't axe Ian!!! What will Adam do? He's been playing Ian for most of his life
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    They can't axe Ian!!! What will Adam do? He's been playing Ian for most of his life

and i luve his scenes with Phil :D
  • ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    There is no speculation that the rest of the beales will go! Why do people continue to stay this? There is NO speculation or indication to suggest they are going at all.
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    There is no speculation that the rest of the beales will go! Why do people continue to stay this? There is NO speculation or indication to suggest they are going at all.

No, but people fear that when Lucy goes it will damage the family- especially Ian. They would be missing one of their main members and since most recent Beale plots have revolved around Lucy they may find it hard to write stories for them any more. It's a slight overreaction but I see their thinking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't need saving Ian Beale will forever be in Eastenders, no chance of him being axed or Woodyatt deciding to leave.
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but people fear that when Lucy goes it will damage the family- especially Ian. They would be missing one of their main members and since most recent Beale plots have revolved around Lucy they may find it hard to write stories for them any more. It's a slight overreaction but I see their thinking.

I'm sure they could pull a long lost cousin or something from the woodwork.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that
    Lucy
    has been axed from EE, and now that Steven, Cindy, Cathy, Mel, Laura, Elizabeth, Pauline, Lou, Kenny and Pete have all left too, there aren't many of them left and there is speculation that the rest of the family will be axed too. They should be saved as they are one of the longest running families in the soap!

There's no speculation that the rest of the Beales will go. All that has been said is that Melissa whatshername has been axed because she wasn't behaving. People seem to be jumping to conclusions here.
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    why has lucy been axed?? i had no idea! what a bizarre decision...
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I was starting to like her and was getting used to her growing up, she could of been a really good character in the future.
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    i dont really understand the reason for the axeing. she was axed because she goes clubbing? how odd. was it actually affecting her work?
  • ElliotSaundersElliotSaunders Posts: 403
    Forum Member

True but Peter is still there and they could always bring Jane's Mum back she was fantastic.