Suicide Reaction - Compassionate and Understanding or Total Lack of Understanding?

Danny SimpsonDanny Simpson Posts: 323
Forum Member
Hey DS :cool:

Mentioning no names for obvious reasons, but someone I know has told me that someone in their family tried to take their own life. They're only 17 years old.

Ok so the friend that told me is very cool and supportive about it and concerned etc. Other family members however seemed angry and annoyed at his "selfishness". Personally this doesn't sound like they are contributing to a positive outcome for the victim long term wise at all!

Got me thinking, how would you react if a younger member of your family did this? Are survivors of suicide extremely selfish and are they even "victims"?

Thought I would do a serious topic today seeing as my other threads have been fairly irrelevant and self related with a dash of hyper thrown in! :D

Remember, play nicely!

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I attempted suicide myself about 2 and a half years ago I don't think a lot of people knows what goes through your mind at that point to most at that point in time in their mind it is a logical choice you think everybody would be better off without you.

When I did it it all made total sense in my own mind I thought the family would be better off if I wasn't around.

Plus I don't see how they can be seen as selfish as again a lot of the time they/we genuinely believe we are doing it for them.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    A teenager committing suicide is never selfish. It's just a tragedy - that they don't understand that most of their problems (caused by hormones and/or the lack of life experiences) will go away as they get older.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    It is a selfish act in a way because all the person who attempts or succeeds can think of is their own pain and how the world would be better off without them. If they could think for one second of the pain their family and friends would be in then they wouldn't be able to go through with it.
    An example is a the 16 year old best friend of my son who succeeded in killing himself. His family are in pieces. His friends can make no sense of it. On the first anniversary at the end of last year my son was in a really bad way because of it all. And as illogical as I know it was I was so cross at the boy for it and how it has affected those who cared for him. I do know though that if he could have foreseen all of this he wouldn't have been able to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a selfish act in a way because all the person who attempts or succeeds can think of is their own pain and how the world would be better off without them. If they could think for one second of the pain their family and friends would be in then they wouldn't be able to go through with it.
    An example is a the 16 year old best friend of my son who succeeded in killing himself. His family are in pieces. His friends can make no sense of it. On the first anniversary at the end of last year my son was in a really bad way because of it all. And as illogical as I know it was I was so cross at the boy for it and how it has affected those who cared for him. I do know though that if he could have foreseen all of this he wouldn't have been able to do it.

I'm sorry to hear that. That is completely awful. Age 16 - terrible. :(

My son is 17. Did the boy give any indication of how unhappy he was?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Nice one. Am I right in thinking your friend told you this in confidence? You then thought wow and came running along to ds to share your wee story. I am sure your friend would be so proud of you. Gloating about a kids suicide attempt is not big or funny. Should you ever go through this is your own immediate family then hopefully you will be more grown up about it. :mad:
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not always the case the teens displaying such extreme problems will grow out of it. My parents took this approach when I was younger and 12 years later I'm still screwed up, probably even more so as I did not get the support i was desperate for then.

The brain can take you into very dark places and tbh many people probably feel they are doing their friends/family a favour by removing themselves fro mthe world. Nobody can possibly realise how skewed their perspective is whilst they are experiencing such intense feelings.

So no, it's not selfish, in fact, I wish I'd got through it with a decade ago and saved my self and my family all these years of misery :(
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    It's not always the case the teens displaying such extreme problems will grow out of it. My parents took this approach when I was younger and 12 years later I'm still screwed up, probably even more so as I did not get the support i was desperate for then.

The brain can take you into very dark places and tbh many people probably feel they are doing their friends/family a favour by removing themselves fro mthe world. Nobody can possibly realise how skewed their perspective is whilst they are experiencing such intense feelings.

So no, it's not selfish, in fact, I wish I'd got through it with a decade ago and saved my self and my family all these years of misery :(

Sorry to hear you feel like that. I'm sure your family would rather have you here despite "all these years of misery". Don't you ever moments where you are so glad you didn't commit suicide?
  • HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a family member, say my brother who I knew had a loving family etc then hell yes I would be angry. Not straight away though, first I would be grateful he was alive and try and understand the reason, after that I would come down hard on just how selfish it was and that he should speak about it to somebody first.

People that end it who have family are selfish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they're selfish at all, just very unwell. There was a point many years ago when I contemplated suicide but sought help...I think if I had left it any longer then I would have been so far down that black pit I would have gone through with it. There's not a day goes by when I don't thank God I didn't go through with it all. When you are so depressed all you want is the pain to ease, other peoples' feelings doesn't enter the equation.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    other peoples' feelings doesn't enter the equation.

I have to disagree there in my case and many other you do think of their feelings but think they will be glad or happy you did it
  • Danny SimpsonDanny Simpson Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    If it was a family member, say my brother who I knew had a loving family etc then hell yes I would be angry. Not straight away though, first I would be grateful he was alive and try and understand the reason, after that I would come down hard on just how selfish it was and that he should speak about it to somebody first.

People that end it who have family are selfish.

What do you think of that reply guys?
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Nice one. Am I right in thinking your friend told you this in confidence? You then thought wow and came running along to ds to share your wee story. I am sure your friend would be so proud of you. Gloating about a kids suicide attempt is not big or funny. Should you ever go through this is your own immediate family then hopefully you will be more grown up about it. :mad:

No you far off the mark, so next time wait for the answer before you lecture. :rolleyes:
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think suicide is selfish. I don't understand how people can be so self- indulgent and wallow in self pity to the point where they decide they don't want to live anymore, and don't even consider how those around them will be affected. I can sort of understand it if you have a terrible life, but some people who commit suicide don't even have anything wrong with their lives. There are people dying all over the world who desperately want to live, but can't- yet there are others who can't appreciate the life they've got.
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, what do you think of it first?
  • Danny SimpsonDanny Simpson Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Ada Rabble wrote: »

So, what do you think of it first?

Think I asked first :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think suicide is selfish. I don't understand how people can be so self- indulgent and wallow in self pity to the point where they decide they don't want to live anymore, and don't even consider how those around them will be affected. I can sort of understand it if you have a terrible life, but some people who commit suicide don't even have anything wrong with their lives. There are people dying all over the world who desperately want to live, but can't- yet there are others who can't appreciate the life they've got.

Surely committing suicide shows that there is something very wrong going on in their lives. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you far off the mark, so next time wait for the answer before you lecture. :rolleyes:

Bit harsh.
  • randomliserandomlise Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine took his own life 3 years ago, and at the time I felt a mixture of grief/sadness and anger at what he had done. It was the first time anyone i knew had died and i was so upset, and I knew that for his parents and family it would have been 1000 times worse, and i just didnt understand how he could do that to them.

But at the same time I know he would never have intentionally hurt his family and friends, it must have just been that he could see no other way of dealing with whatever it was that drove him to it. So thinking about it now, i'm not angry with him i just wish we'd known something was up and helped him, maybe someone could have stopped him taking his own life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ada Rabble wrote: »

Think I asked first :)

Yeah, obviously but what's your input. It was your original question after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a sad story, but I do find it bizarre to suggest that other people wanting you to live should be reason enough for you not to kill yourself. For some people it is a release from perpetual mental torment, so it disturbs me that you seem to be suggesting that a person should endure that state to avoid other people being upset by their death. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree there in my case and many other you do think of their feelings but think they will be glad or happy you did it

"When you are so depressed all you want is the pain to ease, other peoples' feelings doesn't enter the equation".

Sorry I didn't put that very well. It should have read on the lines that when you've hit rock bottom and feel there's no where else to go other peoples' grief / anger / bewilderment at your suicide doesn't come into it as, like you said, most contemplating suicide think they are doing their families a "favour".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Surely committing suicide shows that there is something very wrong going on in their lives. :confused:

Not necessarily. For some people their problems are only in their head- it's the self indulgent thinking that escalates small issues into seemingly big problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    That's a sad story, but I do find it bizarre to suggest that other people wanting you to live should be reason enough for you not to kill yourself. For some people it is a release from perpetual mental torment, so it disturbs me that you seem to be suggesting that a person should endure that state to avoid other people being upset by their death. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

There must be terrible amount of guilt when a person kills themselves for the people left behind and heartbreak.
    I suppose if a person could forsee the devastation they leave behind they might relook at their life and find a way to over come the depression and anguish they feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. For some people their problems are only in their head- it's the self indulgent thinking that escalates small issues into seemingly big problems.

Only in their head? Where else do problems lurk then, if not in the head?:confused:
    You say self indulgent, another might say tormented
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »

It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to me :confused:

Also, if someone is suffering mental torment, should they not take some steps to lift themselves out of that? Get help, if needed get some medication etc. Or maybe do something to help others, to get some perspective on life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    It's incredibly selfish