Options

People on 50 grand a year can't manage without Child Benefit

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some of these people need a wake up call. THEY can't manage - how do they think people on minimum wage cope - or those on basic benefits.

Comments

• Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    They are always saying how hard they work, obviously they have to because they could not have achieved much by virtue of being clever.

I have always found that poorer people are better at managing budgets than those in senior positions who have never learnt to go without
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    Some of these people need a wake up call. THEY can't manage - how do they think people on minimum wage cope - or those on basic benefits.

Why let it bother you no one is saying they cant live without benefits just pointing out how unfair the system is which it is

But then the government is just flippin useless so no wonder they have made this such a mess
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why let it bother you no one is saying they cant live without benefits just pointing out how unfair the system is which it is

But then the government is just flippin useless so no wonder they have made this such a mess

There were women being intervewed who said considering they were losing the benefit because of their husbands wages, that they WOULD have to work to make up for losing the benefit.

The reason it bothers me is the damn hypocrisy of the news and press hi-lighting their very sad plight. I don't think I have ever seen it where anyone has done an article or programme on how people on basic benefits manage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were women being intervewed who said considering they were losing the benefit because of their husbands wages, that they WOULD have to work to make up for losing the benefit.

The reason it bothers me is the damn hypocrisy of the news and press hi-lighting their very sad plight. I don't think I have ever seen it where anyone has done an article or programme on how people on basic benefits manage

So what you saying it's been highlighted by tv because this will affect many in the media?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what you saying it's been highlighted by tv because this will affect many in the media?

What a strange assumption to make. The answer is no.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I agree they should be able to manage without Child Benefit what I don't understand though is why a family were both parents work and earn £98,000 between them keep all their child benefit yet a family were only one parent is working and earning £60,000 they lose part of their Child Benefit.....:
    For a family with two children and one parent earning more than £60,000 it means losing £1,752 per year.

But if both parents earn £49,000, the benefit will be unaffected.

http://news.sky.com/story/1033952/child-benefit-payment-cut-off-for-families

...Somehow the sums just don't add up to me.

Maybe someone could explain ?
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the folks on £50K can go sell the Big Issue to make up for the shortfall. Either that or stop driving so far in their BMWs. Its hard to feel sorry for them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange assumption to make. The answer is no.

Well i dont get your point

Theres been thousands of reports about the unemployed etc

Anyway who cares i'm off bed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I agree they should be able to manage without Child Benefit what I don't understand though is why a family were both parents work and earn £98,000 between them keep all their child benefit yet a family were only one parent is working and earning £60,000 they lose part of their Child Benefit.....:

Yesterday a politician was asked this question (don't know who he was, and he stated that it had been done this way as to do it any other way would have cost too much money, I was just like eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's nothing to explain it's a policy thought up by an idiot
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Anyone that earns 50k and pays their taxes deserves it far more than teenage single mothers who have never worked.
    I will sit back now and wait for the abuse...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Anyone that earns 50k and pays their taxes deserves it far more than teenage single mothers who have never worked.

I tend to agree with you - have you a suit or armour we can share
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing to explain it's a policy thought up by an idiot

Indeed, anyone who thinks earning £60k per year especially in and around London is rich is an idiot. Whilst its not breadline it ain't rich, maybe it is the further North you go? I had to laugh at the poster saying we drive BMW's, the only one of those on my road belongs to a bloke on benefits.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Indeed, anyone who thinks earning £60k per year especially in and around London is rich is an idiot. Whilst its not breadline it ain't rich, maybe it is the further North you go? I had to laugh at the poster saying we drive BMW's, the only one of those on my road belongs to a bloke on benefits.:D

Read it again - I never commented on BMW's. Bloody hell I must be the most misquoted person on here,

Oops that was not directed at me. I am now getting paranoid.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to agree with you - have you a suit or armour we can share

It's so the child doesn't suffer. The one with the feckless mum is already at a disadvantage and you want to make it worse.

Nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have to agree with you or at least as far as the teenage girls who continue to get pregnant by different men is concerned.

Once can be a mistake but when they continue to go from one man to another geting pregnant then it seems deliberate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    It's so the child doesn't suffer. The one with the feckless mum is already at a disadvantage and you want to make it worse.

Nice.

The trouble is we now have too many 'feckless' mums. I have 3 daughters myself all grown up now but if any of them had ever got pregnant in their teens I would not have sat back and watched them go from one man to another getting pregnant with each one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »

Nice.

So giving the feckless mother more money is such a good idea that the feckless one thinks - ohhhhhh I have extra money - I better not make my child suffer, Like that one will work.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Yesterday a politician was asked this question (don't know who he was, and he stated that it had been done this way as to do it any other way would have cost too much money, I was just like eh?

The problem with it is that the system that they would have to put in place to check both partners wages and then remove child benefit would be much more complex than what they are doing.

This would mean that the tax office would have to employ more people to carry out the checks.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    We pay more in, we should get something back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    The problem with it is that the system that they would have to put in place to check both partners wages and then remove child benefit would be much more complex than what they are doing.

This would mean that the tax office would have to employ more people to carry out the checks.

Bit that means creating an unfair sytem they know is unfair so as not to employ more people

Which is what they've done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »

Aha - a win win situation. More people employed and more money taken away from the public. Hells bells - they missed a chance there.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Welfare is not a saving scheme. You only take out if you need help. We put in to make sure that help is there for everyone who NEEDS it.
  • Options
    001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but anyone who earns £50K just doesn't need a handout from the State and this should have been reigned in a long long time ago.

I was sickened and dsimayed by the woman interviewed on TV the other night who was moaning about how it was going to have a dramatic effect on her and her kids. These people do not have the slightest idea of how so many people have to struggle on a fraction of what they earn and I'm not just talking about benefit recipients but a lot of hard working but low earning individuals.

The loss of this income will no doubt be missed, and Iunderstand that nobody likes having things taken away from them. But to bleat about it in the manner that she did, suggesting that it will cause hardhship, was an insult to people who are genuinely impoverished.

There are a lot more inequities in the tax and benefits system, for example OAPs living in mediterranean countries being legitimately able to claim cold weather heating payments and it's high time these were all targetted and the money saved redistributed to those who really need it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »

How much would you like back then?
    Welfare is not a saving scheme. You only take out if you need help. We put in to make sure that help is there for everyone who NEEDS it.

What a sensible statement.