Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Firstly I'd completely disagree regarding the semi-final week being the weak link - for me that's one of the best things about BGT, gives the live shows momentum and means they don't drag on for a couple of months.

I think it did give it momentum in the past but there's little indication of that now. Generally the number of acts in the semi-finals (40 in all) is wildly out of proportion with the 7 auditions shows. Far too many filler acts in all of them. And 2 and a half hours every night of the week is a massive commitment for viewers and the evidence is that they're not making it.

While I do think it's good that they don't go on for months, I would like to see them work on the format to reduce the number of semi-finals.
    I also think last year although they undoubtedly bought the start forward the live shows were always going to be that week due to various ITV commitments in the following weeks, so in the end all that happened was that audition shows just ran on Saturday rather than having to double up with Sunday episodes once or twice along the way. Running into June isn't an issue either - for god sake a few series ago it managed 19m for it's final, so the audience is there if they can serve up the talent.

2009 was highly unique. It was absolutely must see TV. No amount of hot weather was going to prevent it rating well then. As a more mature show, it relies to an extent on casual viewers. And every show can benefit from airing in a better slot.
    Charnham wrote: »
    cant help but think Elementary wont make a second series, ok the Superbowl episode is an excuse for a relaunch of a show, (see Alias) but this is Sherlock Holmes, how much more can CBS change it, unless of course Joan Waston is replaced by a long lost brother called John.

I can't see them dumping Elementary. They've thrown their weight behind it now with The Superbowl lead-in and cancellation would be them admitting a massive mistake.

More to the point, it's a CBS in-house production so it'll get away with slightly lower ratings anyway. It might lose its Thursday slot, but I doubt it will go altogether.

Looking at CBS' current line-up, I think their best option would have been to go for The Big Bang Theory - take the money and run! The ratings for that could have been phenomenal. I have a feeling Elementary will post some really mediocre numbers.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    Looking at CBS' current line-up, I think their best option would have been to go for The Big Bang Theory - take the money and run! The ratings for that could have been phenomenal. I have a feeling Elementary will post some really mediocre numbers.
    cant decide if TBBT is an even worse match for the Superbowl than Elementary, or if the fact its a comedy, means it could make ALOT out of, the guys in it, having no interest in the Superbowl, Penny aside no one in TBBT cares about the Superbowl, however an easy storyline would be for Raj to be invited to a Superbowl party, and do a gender role reversal, on the uninterested female, attending a Superbowl party with her bf.

Of course TBBT can make alot of the Superbowl ads, for example the lads would be very excited about the Iron Man 3 trailer.

actually yeah, this could totally work.

Agreed Elementary wont pick up high post Superbowl numbers.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant decide if TBBT theory is an even worse match for the Superbowl than Elementary, or if the fact its a comedy, means it could make ALOT out of, the guys in it, having no interest in the Superbowl, Penny aside no one in TBBT cares about the Superbowl, however an easy storyline would be for Raj to be invited to a Superbowl party, and do a gender role reversal, on the uninterested female, attending a Superbowl party with her bf.

Of course TBBT can make alot of the Superbowl ads, for example the lads would be very excited about the Iron Man 3 trailer.

It wouldn't need to be about The Superbowl. The Friends Superbowl episode (which had 53m viewers) didn't even mention it, IIRC. They just packed it full of big name celebrity guests.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    It wouldn't need to be about The Superbowl. The Friends Superbowl episode (which had 53m viewers) didn't even mention it, IIRC. They just packed it full of big name celebrity guests.
    looking into it, I confess I was not aware Friends even had a Superbowl episode.

not sure what Elementary has planned, but it seems a very odd choice for a post Superbowl slot.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant decide if TBBT is an even worse match for the Superbowl than Elementary, or if the fact its a comedy, means it could make ALOT out of, the guys in it, having no interest in the Superbowl, Penny aside no one in TBBT cares about the Superbowl, however an easy storyline would be for Raj to be invited to a Superbowl party, and do a gender role reversal, on the uninterested female, attending a Superbowl party with her bf.

Agreed Elementary wont pick up high post Superbowl numbers.

Tbbt - don't they already have an episode like thus when Leonard is invited to watch a Super Bowl at penny's and ends up getting kicked out?
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rugby peaked at 6.8m according to Roger Mosey.

Superb considering it aired in an afternoon slot! Also easily outpeaked Splash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.33m for Splash, second highest rated show of the night. (UKTVratings)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny Cummins ‏@jscummins
    The Splash! final peaked with 6.6m, and averaged 5.6m - highest rating show of the night.
    9:40 AM - 3 Feb 13

Includes +1 as Jenny's ratings always do, but good end to the series.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rugby peaked at 6.8m according to Roger Mosey.

Superb considering it aired in an afternoon slot!

UK TV Ratings tweets that the Splash final averaged 5.33m excluding +1, second highest rated programme of the day. Rugby top?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings tweets that the Splash final averaged 5.33m excluding +1, second highest rated programme of the day. Rugby top?

I assumed Casualty or In It To Win It.

The rugby started at 3.30pm.

edit: uktvratings claims rugby top with 5.39m - from 4.30, but it actually started at 3.30
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an amazing stat. @tvscoops: 'Splash' averaged 5.4 million viewers (inc +1) across its 5 episodes, the highest rating 1st series of a new ITV entertainment show in 5 yrs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope. Rugby averaged 5.39m.

Casualty 5.16m
    Lottery 4.90m

Pointless (R) 4.99m:eek:
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

edit: uktvratings claims rugby top with 5.39m - from 4.30, but it actually started at 3.30

UKTVRatings is all over the place this morning :D.

This is correct:
    Saturday top rated: BBC News (6pm) 5.52m; #SixNations Eng-Sco 5.39m; Splash! 5.33m; Casualty 5.16m; In It to Win It 4.90m; Pointless 4.99m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Pointless shows up Secret Service as the pitiful TV disaster that it is**. But the BBC should have known that from the reaction to Fool Britannia last autumn.

Pointless didn't seem to help Britain's Brightest. Don't think Brightest deserves a second series.

**come to that, so did the News.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »

This is correct:
    Saturday top rated: BBC News (6pm) 5.52m; #SixNations Eng-Sco 5.39m; Splash! 5.33m; Casualty 5.16m; In It to Win It 4.90m; Pointless 4.99m.

can someone confirm this is a full slot rating for the rugby not just from 4.30?
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Good ratings for BBC1 yesterday, 6 out of 7 top ratings yesterday. The only bad rating it looks liek Britains Brightest still rated not well even with a lead in of 5million viewers.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can someone confirm this is a full slot rating for the rugby not just from 4.30?

3.30-6 average. Pointless 4.89m to clarify. Will post more later as soon as I possibly can...
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,228
    Forum Member
    Nice to see Splash! remained stable during the course of the series.

When they say the highest rating first series of a new ITV entertainment series in 5 years, would that be since BGT when it first started?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »

This is correct:

Tut tut ronant. :D

Very good night for BBC One, completely justifies getting Hammond off the schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Very good night for BBC One, completely justifies getting Hammond off the schedule.

Have they completely removed him off the schedule? As I assume there were two more episodes to be aired after last week.

Maybe CBBC will commission/air it instead :D
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Hammond on Saturday nights on BBC1 has been a bit of a disaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hammond on Saturday nights on BBC1 has been a bit of a disaster.

Ironic as the first series of Total Wipeout four years ago was getting 5-6m in the overnights.
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Ironic as the first series of Total Wipeout four years ago was getting 5-6m in the overnights.

I certainly don't think Richard Hammond was responsible for the success of Total Wipeout to be honest...

Pointless did very well, Splash did quite well too. I don't think ITV should run a second series- I think it would be very likely to flop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I certainly don't think Richard Hammond was responsible for the success of Total Wipeout to be honest...

Pointless did very well, Splash did quite well too. I don't think ITV should run a second series- I think it would be very likely to flop.

They'd have to promote it well - but I can't see Splash! going anywhere with it getting 5m regularly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent for the Pointless repeat. Wonder if it did better than on its first showing??

Hope ITV now go ott with Splash series 2, a 10 week run at 2.5hrs a night. And then the Beeb absolutely pulverise it with something half decent.
This discussion has been closed.