Trying to encourage my cat to be affectionate

mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
Forum Member
Hi. I have a kitten who I adore, she's my baby. :) But she's really not affectionate. She occasionally cuddles my dad or my brother. My brother can pick her up and she'll let him rub her tummy and cuddle her, but she won't allow me to do this. :( She never comes over to cuddle me. I play with her a lot, I'm the one who feeds her and cleans out her litter tray...she never seems to notice. Apologies if this sounds a bit pathetic, but it does upset me a bit. I'd love my cat to be affectionate. Any suggestions?:(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cats are just less affectionate and less cuddly than others but if she is more affectionate with your brother and you do everything for her maybe you are trying too hard with her so she gets more than enough of your attention, particularly if she isn't a naturally affectionate cat.
    Maybe try some hand feeding rather than feeding her from her bowl so she wants to spend time with you and you get to build postive assocaitions at the same time.
    Hand feeding also extends the time she spends with her food and you and your scent, rather than you just holding her bowl while she eats.
  • k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat pretends to dislike human affection but secretly she likes it and purrs when you pick her up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    You're below stairs darling, she's not inclined to mingle with the staff. :D

As well as feeding her and cleaning her litterbox, if you play with her she will come to you for cuddles eventually. The quickest way I have found to gain the trust and affection of a kitten is to get down on the floor and play with it. It really does make a difference if you on the floor at eye level or thereabouts so you can make some eye contact which they normally avoid. Keep at it, she'll become more affectionate as she gets older and will come to you for cuddles. My girl cat used to wriggle out of my grasp as a kitten and just wanted to run about all over the place (she had a brother for cuddles) but now she's clingy as velcro!

But they're pretty perceptive - she's already worked out your roles - brother/child as playmate, you as mother/servant and Dad as provider - therefore she will suck up to him. My parents' cat is the same - she's all over Dad yet Mum is the one who feeds and cleans her. When I visit, I'm the one who brings treats and toys so I get a cuddle too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quiet normal for a kitten to be like yours is. One of my kittens who was a rescued one belongs to my son(20). He feeds him etc. He will not go to him at all he hisses and spits at him as he does with everbody else but me. I can stroke him and pick him up but he only lets me. Give him time he should become more effectionate. Some of my cats can be but others are not has he got a companion at all? Your not pathetic wanting him to cuddle you. I not saying you smell but he might like your brothers smell more than you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    You're below stairs darling, she's not inclined to mingle with the staff. :D

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cats just don't respond to being called & encouraged to come towards you ~ especially if you open your eyes wide, stare at them & say "here kitty kitty". This sort of facial expression can be quite intimidating for cats as wide open staring eyes are a sign of aggression or a challenge of some kind.

I can remember when my sister & I were children we used to try to get the cat to come & sit on our laps by doing exactly that, & we were never successful. But my dad would be sitting dozing in front of the TV on a sunday afternoon & the cat would inevitably jump on his lap, whether he wanted it to or not:). This was because his eyes were closed or half-closed, he was sitting very still, relaxed & quiet. That sort of lap is far more appealing to a cat than a fidgety, chatty 7 year old's lap!

I've found that putting a large soft cushion or duvet or something on my lap can make the lap seem far more attractive to the cat.

I don't think your cat can really appreciate the fact that you are the one that cleans it's litter tray, goes shopping for cat food or takes the time & trouble to care for it. It may appreciate that you are the one that provides play time, & engages with fast toy games ~ but do these interactions with your cat suggest to it that you are a calm, quiet person with whom it can relax & go to sleep? Probably not ~ you may be fun to be with, but not when the cat wants to sleep.

As Tass says, hand feeding is a great idea for promoting positive associations with you, but as for the stroking, cuddling etc it may be a case of just going slowly & only doing it for a very short time ~ stop before the cat walks away. Possibly try a soft toothbrush to stroke around the cat's face, cheeks & ears?

I've found that with the many cats I've had over the years, even the most uncuddly cats develop a huge liking for a warm lap as they get older:).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    You can buy a product called Feliway as a spray. It can be used around the house but if you spray a little on your hands, let it dry for a few minutes, then gently offer your hand to your cat ( while avoiding eye contact! ) she will be won over.
    One of my friends has a gorgeous but unfriendly cat that I am always desperate to cuddle. When I go to visit I spray Feliway on my bag, and my shoes and my hands. That cat cannot leave me alone much to the amazement of it's owners!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all your replies. I'm gonna try the hand feeding her idea later. She loves biscuits, so that may work in my favour. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my 2 year old cat is like this. she is just very independant and doesnt like to be stroked or picked up at all.
    she is a rescue whom we have had for 5 months now and whereas before i just wanted her to settle in and feel comfy in her home - i now want to get closer to her.

in recent weeks i have started to hand feed some treats and she does let me stroke her once in a while now. though i have discovered she doesnt like to be stroked as she walks past, and she isnt keen on her body being stroked. and under no circumstances will she like being picked up!!
    so that leaves me with giving her head abit of a rub when she is sitting or laying still.
    maybe you will find there is a time or place where your cat is more receptive to your attention?

I do hope things will improve further with us though- maybe if i get some nice deli ham......................