Options

Tescos Sales down Again. Thoughts on Aldi Supermarket?

Comments

• Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of tescos item prices are way off compaired to other supermarkets. and the constant vouchers £5 off if you spend this 25 extra points if you buy this etc etc just give me your best price first time please :confused:

as for aldi i cant do a whole shop in there but there are several things i buy and stock up with. most of there food i find tastes nice and at a good price. better than the budget brands at the supermarkets
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some of tescos item prices are way off compaired to other supermarkets. and the constant vouchers £5 off if you spend this 25 extra points if you buy this etc etc just give me your best price first time please :confused:

as for aldi i cant do a whole shop in there but there are several things i buy and stock up with. most of there food i find tastes nice and at a good price. better than the budget brands at the supermarkets

I really cannot understand the level of hatred towards Tesco on here. Sure, they are not cheap - but they're still a lot cheaper than either Waitrose or Sainsbury's. Each time I've done a big shop at my local Sainsbury's, I've been shocked at the cost. :o Tesco has plenty of decent produce at a fairer price than the two supermarkets I've just mentioned.

However I'd like to check out Aldi some more, so will be going there for some long-life items tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they always have decent fruit and veg where Tesco's are getting third class. esp banana's and apples.

Oh my god I forgot about them, aldis thick and creamy yogurts, the raspberry one is the nicest raspberry yogurt I have ever had. I don't know if they do those exact "thick & creamy" ones now though, but they were good, :)
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    i live in caerphilly always brought goods from aldi its gone now though dont think it had many customers,and it was oppersite a morrisions,
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i live in caerphilly always brought goods from aldi its gone now though
    FWIW the Aldi web site lists ten locations within ten miles of Caerphilly:
    https://www.yellowmap.de/Partners/AldiSued2/Html/PoiNew.aspx?SessionGuid=653a3b4a-bdfe-4f5a-bede-2e7051032b49&View=4&ClearGroups=MapNav,GeoMap&Page=1&ClearParas=PoiListPageSize&Step=
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I really cannot understand the level of hatred towards Tesco on here. Sure, they are not cheap - but they're still a lot cheaper than either Waitrose or Sainsbury's. Each time I've done a big shop at my local Sainsbury's, I've been shocked at the cost. :o Tesco has plenty of decent produce at a fairer price than the two supermarkets I've just mentioned.

However I'd like to check out Aldi some more, so will be going there for some long-life items tomorrow.

They aren't 'a lot' cheaper at all:-

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/leisure/guides/food-and-grocery-prices-what-you-need-to-know/supermarket-prices-compared/
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i shop mainly at asda get a couple of things in tesco bread rolls and a couple of things in aldi
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There aren't big differences between the full price supermarkets (except Waitrose and M&S of course which for their own brands tend to be very expensive). Tesco online deliveries send me a coupon via email if their price comparison system indicates that I could have purchased the same items cheaper at another of the full price chains. I don't know if that applies with in-store purchases, or if the other chains operate similar schemes.

However, there are significant price differences between the full price chains and the discount chains (Aldi and Lidl).
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I really cannot understand the level of hatred towards Tesco on here.

I used to get my shopping delivered from Tesco every week. About half the time, a significant proportion of the items (typically about a third) would be missing. Each time this happened I'd have to wait ages on the phone and then read out the missing items one by one and all they would do was give me a refund on my card. If I wanted the missing items I had to go back onto the website and reorder them, and pay the delivery charge again. The local store always said it was nothing to do with them, it was the website, whereas the website always said it was nothing to do with them, it was the local store. After this had been going on for a few months, they started sending 'joke' items like pile cream. What finally did it for me was when I suggested to their customer service people that I shouldn't have to pay for delivery twice because of their mistake, and they basically told me to **** off. I just don't feel good about them and I don't want to give them any of my money. Our local Morrisons is great, the staff are really friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Tesco online deliveries send me a coupon via email if their price comparison system indicates that I could have purchased the same items cheaper at another of the full price chains. I don't know if that applies with in-store purchases, or if the other chains operate similar schemes.
    It does apply at the tills. Sainsury's operates a similar scheme, but it only applies to branded goods, so their overpriced (compared to Tesco and Asda) unbranded and own-brand goods are not included. Asda's scheme is best, as it gives you a voucher (three hours later by entering the receipt code online) if they are not at least 10% cheaper than Tesco, Sainsbury's Morrisons or Waitrose and it applies to branded, own-brand and unbranded goods. The supermarkets know what they are doing; when you go to a store you will be attracted by their special offers, which greatly reduces the chances of their not being the cheapest. In the case of Asda they put their money where their mouth is because they know they are the cheapest of the big supermarkets, although Iceland can often beat the lot of them for the restricted range they sell.

It is rear now for me to get an Asda voucher as they are consistently so much cheaper than the others, but it you want to "manipulate" their scheme a bit, go in with a partner/friend and stick all the special offers in one basket/trolley and all the rest in another and you are pretty much guaranteed to get a Price Guarantee voucher for the second lot. I can't see that this breaks the rules of the scheme at all, though it may break its spirit.

The other sad activity is to scavenge receipts from the car park, etc. I find I get better results with these than my own as other people tend not to be such savvy shoppers as I am!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    I used to get my shopping delivered from Tesco every week. About half the time, a significant proportion of the items (typically about a third) would be missing. Each time this happened I'd have to wait ages on the phone and then read out the missing items one by one and all they would do was give me a refund on my card.
    Tesco online deliveries have never worked like that round here. If an item isn't available then they'll offer a substitute if possible, which you can accept or reject. The driver handles that. If no substitute is available then you won't be charged. You never have to ring them up. Perhaps it's different where you live, or perhaps you're getting confused with a different supermarket chain?
    If I wanted the missing items I had to go back onto the website and reorder them, and pay the delivery charge again.
    Agreed. (Except that if you're on the delivery saver scheme and the next order is over £40 then there's no delivery charge.)
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they always have decent fruit and veg where Tesco's are getting third class. esp banana's and apples.

Yes, and their meat is always very good quality as well.

I find Tesco to have the rudest staff of any of the main supermarkets. They barely crack a smile or even look at you half the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Tesco to have the rudest staff of any of the main supermarkets.
    I find the Tesco online delivery drivers round here are polite, efficient and friendly (that's out of Norwich Blue Boar store). On the rare occasions that I visit Tesco shops (Stalham or Caister, usually) the checkout staff are equally good.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frozen fish is great value and good quality at these german stores. currently lidl lemon sole fillets are £1.43. £3 in sainsburys .......

aldi have an amazing range of great value non foods including power tools .....
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceland was mentioned above. good for some things but u have to be selective. their caramel slices are just as nice as thorntons millionaires shortbread. currently also selling mcvities cakes 2 for £1. if an iceland nearby thats handy but not much good fot the main weekly shop .....
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up shopping at Tesco a few months ago. I can now do a full weeks shop in Aldi. My shopping bill has drastically reduced.
    I can recommend the thin crust 4 cheese pizza. The layered yoghurts are gorgeous.
    I've just opened some salted caramel nuts. Good lord.....i've never had anything like this before..so nice. I'll be going back tomorrow to stock up.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    I gave up shopping at Tesco a few months ago. I can now do a full weeks shop in Aldi. My shopping bill has drastically reduced.
    I can recommend the thin crust 4 cheese pizza. The layered yoghurts are gorgeous.
    I've just opened some salted caramel nuts. Good lord.....i've never had anything like this before..so nice. I'll be going back tomorrow to stock up.

What are layered yoghurts?
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Aldi, I couldn't do a "big" shop there but it's great for odds and ends. Their hams and cooked meats are lovely and nearly all of their sweets and chocolates are as good if not better than leading brands. I love having a mooch through the special offers and have had some great bargains. I don't like the fact it's always busy and they have like, 2 checkouts open, one of which is usually about to close! And while they do have baskets you aren't allowed to take them to the other end of the checkout which means packing has to be done super quick if you've got more than a couple of things. As for Lidl, I'm no snob, but I find it no where near the same league as Aldi. Some of their stuff is ok, but it's the atmosphere of the actual shop that makes me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    What are layered yoghurts?

Yoghurt with a layer of fruit at the bottom. I have one everyday in my packed lunch.
  • Options
    LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    I have one quite near me and use it regularly for good quality fruit and veg. 4pts milk - 79p and also Hovis bread - can't argue with those prices. Also Brownings bakery which is fairly local to here - don't know how widespread they supply Aldis stores - these products are far cheaper than anywhere round about here. Also as someone else mentioned the kitchen/bathroom spray - far more superior than anything i've used else for a fraction of a price. Don't get me wrong - when it first opened when I was a teenager I wouldn't have been seen dead in the place but that was a while ago now :D
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    Yoghurt with a layer of fruit at the bottom. I have one everyday in my packed lunch.

Thanks - I've never heard of them but my yoghurt buying doesnt go past the "vanilla" product
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love, love, love Aldi! Don't shop anywhere else unless we've run out of something and need a replacement quickly. Their stuff is every bit as good as make stuff if not better, but the prices are way different. There is absolutely no difference in the taste, if someone bought Aldi Cornfkakes and Kellogs ones and took the labelling off, I swear you'd never tell which was which. Same with other stuff, Schweppes lemonade is around £1.89, Aldi's version 49p, tastes just the same. Self raising flour is about £1.50 in other shops, 55p in Aldi, cakes are just as good with it. Our closest store is 45 minutes away, but even with petrol costs, a whole weekly order is virtually half the price of anywhere else.

No they don't have BOGOFS and buy 3 for 2, an assistant for every department or someone to pack your stuff, but who cares, all those extras are what shove prices up as they have to get more staff. And those 'deals' aren't really great either, just makes it look like their givng you something,when all their doing is taking it off one thing and putting it on somewhere else. Much better if they just keep th prices consistently low in th first place instead of ginmicks like that (99) <-- old style rolleyes icon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A question for the people who said they could do a whole week's big shop in Aldi or Lidl: I'm not disputing what you say, just curious as to what items you need and they don't stock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I'm a fan of Aldi. Cheapish, easy pricing. None of this buy 1 for £1 or buy 2 for £2.50 nonsense. I don't have time for all that faffing about.

I just got a letter from Sainsbury's today, offering £X amount off my first shop £X amount of the second shop providing its within a certain period from the 1st shop. It went in the Bin, I simply don't have time to mess about when there is another option.

It took me a while to get used to Aldi, but i persevered since its the most convient supermarket for me to get to. I still goto Sainsbury's / Tesco's for the odd branded item I like, but the frequency I do so goes down and down.
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Both Lidl and Aldi are German companies. If you like German style food (which is fairly similar to Polish food), they generally do a reasonable selection. Salami, gherkins, pickled fish, smoked fish, stollen, that sort of stuff. However, the selection is nothing like in an average German supermarket, which literally has rows of shelves selling smoked meats for example, mindbogglingly so.

But non the less, cheaper than the big supermarket chains and usually of good quality.

Remember. Food snobs usually pay more. So, who has the last laugh.

I don't mind paying more because I think there are more importsnt issues than price with regards to food.

Free range, organic, and sustainable farming are all really important to me and that's why I tend to use Sainsburys and Waitrose whehn I use supermarkets.

I'm sure Aldi meat tastes fine but at that price something has had t give and someone is getting screwed over - whether that's the consumer paying for delicious filler like rusk or water in ham. Or more importantly the farmers and suppliers not getting paid enough - this then has an impact on animal treatment - when margins are tough for suppliers, they then need to cut something as well.

Ethics are important to food and I want to buy British produce not Green Beans imported from Kenya - a ridiculous amount of airmiles.