Options

Car Insurance anomalies?

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a small 1.2 automatic. 10 year old car, one claim not at fault 6 years ago.

My parter has a 1.6 automatic. 7 year old car, one claim not at fault 3 years ago,

He is in his 50s, I am in my 40s. I am female, he is male.

I do 17k miles a year, he used to do 50k miles but now does 5k miles.

Both cars registered as having us both on for personal, commuting and business use. Comprehensive insurance.

His insurance last year was £230. Mine was £330. This was when his mileage was 50k miles.

Yesterday he renewed and cut his mileage to 5k as he now gets the train in. His insurance is now £210pa.
I have renewed my insurance today and it was £290 including a discount. This was with aviva and he is with tesco so I phoned tesco and they gave a price of £310.

Why is mine 310 and his 210 when theres not really much difference between us? I fiddled round with the figures and even when I put lower mileage (just to check) it put the quote down to £306?

I have now gone with aviva as a new customer to get cash back of £73.50 from a quote of £302 as a new customer so should end up paying around £230ish.

My insurance seems to be much more expensive than his since the rules changed about women not getting better prices because of us being less risk.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what advice you want. My insurance is £220 for a 3.2 Ltr car and had a 50/50 accident 4 years ago.

What other insurance companies have you tried, i'm with LV.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are thousands of factors they calculate, no one really knows what changes things. From what I can see it might be the car changing things try your details with his car?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Earlier this year I was mucking about online trying different details to see what effects it had on my car insurance. Strangely enough if I claimed to be female I got £15 knocked off. That was with a couple of different companies.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, off the top of my head.

Just because your car has a smaller engine doesn't mean that it would be cheaper to repair.

Being over 50 might cause a slight reduction in his premium.

Do you live at the same address, one post code could have higher risk statistics than the other.

Do you both have the same excess?

Are both vehicle kept the same ie both on a driveway or both in a garage?

Do either of you have a medical condition and are both policies taking that into account?

Just a few suggestions. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because your car has a smaller engine doesn't mean that it would be cheaper to repair.

Do you live at the same address, one post code could have higher risk statistics than the other.

Do either of you have a medical condition and are both policies taking that into account?

All is the same apart from his car is kept on the road over night, mine is the one on the driveway, so you would expect that to be cheaper. The only difference is in the car, which I cannot imagine is a huge impact and the age, which could be a big impact.

They are both small Nissan cars, mine is a micra his is a Note. Slightly different excess but when I fiddled with the figures it made a negligible difference.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I have a small 1.2 automatic. 10 year old car, one claim not at fault 6 years ago.

My parter has a 1.6 automatic. 7 year old car, one claim not at fault 3 years ago,

He is in his 50s, I am in my 40s. I am female, he is male.

I do 17k miles a year, he used to do 50k miles but now does 5k miles.

Both cars registered as having us both on for personal, commuting and business use. Comprehensive insurance.

His insurance last year was £230. Mine was £330. This was when his mileage was 50k miles.

Yesterday he renewed and cut his mileage to 5k as he now gets the train in. His insurance is now £210pa.
    I have renewed my insurance today and it was £290 including a discount. This was with aviva and he is with tesco so I phoned tesco and they gave a price of £310.

Why is mine 310 and his 210 when theres not really much difference between us? I fiddled round with the figures and even when I put lower mileage (just to check) it put the quote down to £306?

I have now gone with aviva as a new customer to get cash back of £73.50 from a quote of £302 as a new customer so should end up paying around £230ish.

My insurance seems to be much more expensive than his since the rules changed about women not getting better prices because of us being less risk.

insurance is funny really, im 45 and im paying over £400 per year for a 1.8 Vectra, the insurers claimed apart from the obvious "L" postcode, that Vectras are high risk even though it is a sensible family car,

and i also hold a professional licence..if that makes any difference im not sure but my insurers are aware.

not wanting to offend you, i wouldnt say women are safer, in fact i would say some of them are lethal being honest, on their phones and driving pretty fast..

my ex was a teararse, she really was..

i think with your partner being over 50, that will bring it down..and also the Note is only a little car, probably not high risk..but neither is your Micra..
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jobs/careers can also play a part in insurance quotes too. Martin Lewis says to try different descriptions (as long as you could still be reasonably classed as whatever you describe yourself as) and see what comes up as cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

insurance is funny really, im 45 and im paying over £400 per year for a 1.8 Vectra, the insurers claimed apart from the obvious "L" postcode, that Vectras are high risk even though it is a sensible family car,

and i also hold a professional licence..if that makes any difference im not sure but my insurers are aware.

not wanting to offend you, i wouldnt say women are safer, in fact i would say some of them are lethal being honest, on their phones and driving pretty fast..

my ex was a teararse, she really was..

i think with your partner being over 50, that will bring it down..and also the Note is only a little car, probably not high risk..but neither is your Micra..

Im not offended. I am a safe driver, I dont use my phone when driving. I dont agree with hands free either so dont even use one of those. Statistically I thought women were viewed as safer drivers.

No, neither of our cars are high risk, his being slighter newer means that its worth more than mine to replace, so another reason why mine should be cheaper.

I can only put it down to the age thing then.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And an important one you have omitted, what are the occupations of the OP and their spouse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Jobs/careers can also play a part in insurance quotes too. Martin Lewis says to try different descriptions (as long as you could still be reasonably classed as whatever you describe yourself as) and see what comes up as cheaper.

I couldnt describe myself as any thing else, we both work for local government in roles where we provide public service.

Thinking about it, it was last year that his insurance went down substantially which is when he turned 51, I do wonder then whether it is the over 50 thing. Up until then mine was vastly cheaper than his. (same jobs, same cars, same address)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not offended. I am a safe driver, I dont use my phone when driving. I dont agree with hands free either so dont even use one of those. Statistically I thought women were viewed as safer drivers.

No, neither of our cars are high risk, his being slighter newer means that its worth more than mine to replace, so another reason why mine should be cheaper.

probably the fact hes over 50...

i didnt say you used your phone, i see a lot of it though on the bus being honest....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably the fact hes over 50...

i didnt say you used your phone, i see a lot of it though on the bus being honest....:)

No, I know I was just saying. I also see a lot of people using phones, I cant believe some of them. I spend an inordinate amount of time on the motor way and people are texting and all sorts.

Also plenty of people on phones driving round roundabouts with a phone to their ear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I know I was just saying. I also see a lot of people using phones, I cant believe some of them. I spend an inordinate amount of time on the motor way and people are texting and all sorts.

Also plenty of people on phones driving round roundabouts with a phone to their ear.

idiots they are, makes me really annoyed..

i use the hands free on my iphone but even then you are distracted
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that December 2012 was the deadline for insurers to stop gender discrimination, so it's hardly surprising if there's been some fluctuations in premiums over the last couple of years.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try the comparison websites (Gocompare, Moneysupermarket, etc)and then see if one of the cheap website is also listed on one of the cashback websites(Greasypalm, Topcashback, Quidco, etc)

You will also find that some insurance companies are not on comparison websites.

Swinton do a £50 cashback for new customers (why can't they just take £50 off in the first place!!?)

If you're lucky, you could get cashback from a cashback website and then the £50 cashback from Swinton too.

I personally can't see why you're asked what job you do? Do insurance companies ever check up to see if you're telling the truth like they do when they ask you for proof of the number of years with no claims ?
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Insurers aren't just concerned with the car you drive though, as what they might have to pay out in the event of an accident will largely depend on the other car involved and any injuries caused.

The fact your partner's car is newer would make it more costly to replace, but it also might be deemed to be a lower risk i.e. someone driving a newer car might drive more cautiously than someone who has an old banger.

That said, I think the main factor will be age. I used to (sort of) work for a major High St brand who offer car insurance. Their product is provided on a white label basis by another supplier, who in turn use a panel of c. 20 insurers to provide the quotes. Two big factors influencing price were age and location. Broadly speaking, if you were a 25 year-old living in a city, you would get a much higher quote for the same car than a 50 year-old living in a rural part of the country. For us, being over 40 did make a big difference to the quote, but being over 50 would produce even lower quotes.