Options

Vodafone, O2 look to speed up UK 4G rollout with Arqiva deal

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    EE/MBNL deal with Arqiva helped the roll out some what.. It was more that it allowed them to turn off sites where landlords were asking crazy prices to add the other operator or add 4g or both. But none of the networks will tell you that in press releases. It will certainly help out with cities as usually Arqiva sites are well provided connectivity wise.

Saying that I can't say I've noticed much expansion of O2/Voda out with the cities up here with 3G.. I've also spotted many Voda sites which are still only emitting an Voda signal which by now in city centres I'd expect them to have been combined (assimilated lol) by Cornerstone already.
  • Options
    M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read that Arqiva has 16700 sites which are now available to o2/Vodafone Yikes!

http://the-mobile-network.com/article/MzEz/Cornerstone-gets-access-to-thousands-of-Arqiva-sites.html
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M1kos wrote: »
    Just read that Arqiva has 16700 sites which are now available to o2/Vodafone Yikes!

http://the-mobile-network.com/article/MzEz/Cornerstone-gets-access-to-thousands-of-Arqiva-sites.html

That means structures which O2 and Voda (or cornerstone) can go and install equipment at though. It doesn't mean anything ready built.

It is good, I'm just saying that there's still quite a bit of work to be done to turn that into 3G / 4G coverage. O2 and Voda must already have more than that many of their own structures and land agreements and somebody posted before to say that separately O2 and Voda already had agreements with Arqiva I think.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Say hypothetically Cornerstone make use of all of these structures, would that give O2 and Vodafone the largest 3G network in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Say hypothetically Cornerstone make use of all of these structures, would that give O2 and Vodafone the largest 3G network in the UK?

What we need to bear in mind is that 8,700 of Arqiva's sites are 'active sites'.

Also O2 and Voda already had an agreement, this is a renewal under the new joint company Cornerstone. http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/30408/ctil-extends-mobile-network-infrastructure-deal-with-arqvia.aspx
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

No. MBNL is still larger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just googling CTIL the Cornerstone company name and it turned up this...

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/phone-mast-work-starts-before-7497173

If you ever wondered why we can't have decent mobile coverage it is because of silly people who object to the replacement of mobile cells with SMALLER ones on the basis that the shade of brown is slightly wrong.

Goodness me, she has a point about them not waiting for formal planning permission, but goodness it was really a like for like replacement, so I don't blame CITL for just getting on with it so that the residents can have 4G, they even took the care to make the cells brick patterned.

Incidentally, above the brick patterned cells... are those lightning rods or some form of aerial for linking to nearby sites in the event of fibre failure?
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    These are the same hypocrites that complain about poor reception but reject to having new masts installed because they cause cancer (although there is no evidence whatsoever of that).

They're also the same people that read the Daily Fail.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Around here the BT exchanges have *vodafone* masts on the roof; I always thought they were O2 but my friends with O2 have low signal nearby, but my work Voda has full signal.

I know a lot of the exchanges here have Three transmitters on the roof too but I don't know if these will now be MBNL.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are the same hypocrites that complain about poor reception but reject to having new masts installed because they cause cancer (although there is no evidence whatsoever of that).

They're also the same people that read the Daily Fail.

I'm also willing to bet they have a house full of cordless landlines, sitting neatly alongside wireless routers as well. Funny how they don't seem to object to that, isn't it?

Getting back on topic, I see this as good news. Vodafone's 2G coverage is hardly up to scratch to say the least. Let's hope it leads to rapid improvement.