Options

'The Story of Wales' BBC1 Wales

Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1/6. New series. Huw Edwards explores the history of the country, and begins by delving into the world's biggest pre-historic copper mine and visiting an Iron Age hill-fort. Plus, he reveals the scale of the Roman occupation and explains how Welsh saints shared the gospel with the rest of the Celtic world.

Im very much looking forward to this tonight at 9 on BBC1 Wales.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just starting this look to be very good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent start to the series and cant believe nobody has commented.

To watch episode 1 on iPlayer- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00mlrqc/The_Story_of_Wales_The_Makings_of_Wales/
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do the BBC assume that only people living in Wales would be interested in this?

I'll certainly watch it on i-player.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Really enjoyed it.
    utterly amazing to see the size of that Roman dock/town
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do the BBC assume that only people living in Wales would be interested in this?

They have been putting a few BBC2 Wales programmes on BBC2 though I wish they would give Coming Home a showing on network.

There is a natural history series on the at the moment and Iolo'S Jewels of Wales earlier in the year.

PS
    There is also Welsh Towns running on BBC1 Wales at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bs3vz/Welsh_Towns_Pontypridd/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun! wrote: »
    Excellent start to the series and cant believe nobody has commented.

To watch episode 1 on iPlayer- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00mlrqc/The_Story_of_Wales_The_Makings_of_Wales/

Should be interesting. Not expecting Anne Robinson to be tuning in in a hurry though.

Huw Edwards is an odd choice to narrate it given he chose not to live in his native country, [unless I'm being unfair and it was his parents who left, like Griff rhys Jones's].
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was simply brilliant, so looking forward to the next 5 episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... Huw Edwards is an odd choice to narrate it given he chose not to live in his native country, [unless I'm being unfair and it was his parents who left, like Griff rhys Jones's].

I thought he just followed his work like many other people and it was too far to commute from Wales. At least he is not a tax exile like Shirley Bassey and others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it matter if Huw Edwards does not live in Wales, no it does not. He is an amazing ambassador of wales. He presented the story with energy and enthusiasm, perfect choice. He was the only one who really could have given the program the justice it deserved.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Huw is good but he seems to narrate every factual programme made by BBC Wales.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're not wrong there.

If this was on UK wide I'd have watched this, iplayer it is.

(Thanks for letting us know about this OP)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not wrong there.

If this was on UK wide I'd have watched this, iplayer it is.

(Thanks for letting us know about this OP)

I am sure it will be blamed on parochialism in London (or Salford?) but I wonder if there is also not parochialism in Cardiff and Glasgow in not pushing their programmes to the rest of the network or perhaps even wanting to charge unrealistic amounts to show them on network?

I noted above that I really like Coming Home and I am sure it would get a good audience outside Wales even if shown during the day. The RCAHMW have done an excellent series on their work which can stand up against any of the other history series shown on network.

Recently BBC Scotland did an excellent programme on the history of the Commando training centre at Achnacarry that deserves a wider audience then the strangest of all they did two programmes as a co-production with the Australians on the fall of Singapore to coincide with the anniversary. As far as I can see there has been nothing on network to mark that anniversary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be interesting. Not expecting Anne Robinson to be tuning in in a hurry though.

Huw Edwards is an odd choice to narrate it given he chose not to live in his native country, [unless I'm being unfair and it was his parents who left, like Griff rhys Jones's].

I don't think Huw is an odd choice at all , he was born im Wales , educated in Wales, married and had children in Wales didn't get a job in London till he was about 37/38 until then he worked for the BBC in Cardiff and he commuted for a long time when his children were younger, remember London was ours once
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly! I love stuff like this, really enjoyed the History of Scotland series. I'm interested in the history of this Island I live on and would have loved to have seen this on my TV instead of the computer.

Just one question, is it in English or Welsh? :o
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1 Wales is in English. BBC Wales provides programmes in Welsh for S4C although many have sub-titles available in English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see others enjoyed the programme.

Just a reminder the second episode is on tonight in ten minutes (9pm) on BBC1 Wales.

Happy St Davids Day :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another excellent episode tonight :)

Looking forward to the next episode on Monday.

iPlayer- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cqmb5/The_Story_of_Wales_Power_Struggles/
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for making me aware of this & seen the first episode on i-player which was excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The third episode is on right now!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anothe rexcellent episode tonight. Looking forward to next week :)
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the series & very interesting debate afterwards. It will be shown on BBC2 later in the year.
  • Options
    AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remember London was ours once

You what?! London has never been in Wales.

Comments like that simply make you look stupid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJRevitt wrote: »

I think someone was trying an oversimplification of the areas where the Celts lived though are a lot of differing opinions on the Celts. Wales did not exist anyway as such and is just where some of the Celts ended up, mainly the ones who could not swim across to Ireland. :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AJRevitt wrote: »

See below
    lundavra wrote: »
    I think someone was trying an oversimplification of the areas where the Celts lived though are a lot of differing opinions on the Celts. Wales did not exist anyway as such and is just where some of the Celts ended up, mainly the ones who could not swim across to Ireland. :)

In Roman times, Wales did not exist. It was all Britannia.

A very enjoyable series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    See below

In Roman times, Wales did not exist. It was all Britannia.

A very enjoyable series.

There were some similar arguments in the comments in the paper after the publication this week of the book on Roman camps in Scotland. Some writers seemed to think they were driven back rather as in that great historical documentary "Braveheart". :):):)