Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I was all excited to watch it again on Comedy Central, but it's awful, because of the laughtrack. Those things aren't necessarily bad, but before about 1985 it was ridiculously loud and out of place, many jokes from this show was casual wry asides, yet we get the screeching laughter after each one. So the Comedy Central version is unwatchable.

Apparently they gave the BBC a laughter-free print, but it was so poor it's worn out now. So it may not be CCs fault.

Even by the time of Cheers these things had been toned down.

A bit of trivia i recall. In 1989 BBC 2 accidentally showed a MASH episode with the laughter track. I remember watching it. The following day Open Air was inundated with complaints. The Beeb responded by saying they transmitted the wrong version which kind of implied they had both versions but chose to always transmit the laughter free.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously a made up story from the Daily Mirror. As Robbie likes to point out every week, being beaten by Countryfile isn't a new thing, and in any case Countryfile isn't some low rating 2m filler that the Daily Mirror is suggesting anyway, it's a high rating show all year round, regardless of how strange that may seem.

Axing a show so they can try out new ideas, is a ridiculous idea in itself. You axe a show once you've already got a new idea in place! There are ample places to try out new weekend entertainment formats which they have been doing for years.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Is there an obvious slot where it would have gone, or is there still basically no room for it.

1630 Final Score
    1710 Animal Antics 5/6
    1740 BBC News,regional news
    1800 Pointless Celebrities 4/6
    1850 Let's Dance for Comic Relief 1/4
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to know why ITV don't do this:

Saturday
    18:00 - You've Been Framed!
    19:00 - Dancing on Ice
    20:30 - Take Me Out
    21:30 - The Jonathan Ross Show

Sunday
    18:15 - All Star Family Fortunes
    19:00 - Dancing on Ice: Skate Off
    19:30 - Splash!
    21:00 - Mr Selfridge

Do what Strictly does, record Dancing on Ice's Skate Off on Saturdays. Move Splash! to Sundays to bring in the younger viewers versus the old skewing Call the Midwife.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Saturday

Sunday

Do what Strictly does, record Dancing on Ice's Skate Off on Saturdays. Move Splash! to Sundays to bring in the younger viewers versus the old skewing Call the Midwife.

To quote Ian Hyland in today's Mail On Sunday:
    Splash! pulled in reasonable ratings in the face of NO COMPETITION WHATSOEVER (his capitals)

so it needs to be protected if they don't want the ratings to totally collapse.

And moving DOI to Saturday will only hasten its ratings demise. It might improve Saturday night's dismal ratings but I bet it would be doing worse than it does on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Saturday

Sunday

People are getting bored of DOI because it has been around for years, making people commit to watching over 2 nights would make more people decide they've had enough of DOI.

Secondly, Splash would have flopped in this slot, it would have flopped both in numbers and in expectation (Sundays are more upmarket than trashy Saturdays, major dramas are both after it and against it etc)
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    I think dancing on ice is quite safe from being axed at the moment itv have no plan for replacing it with anything else. The only way it could go would be if they felt it was too expensive. I think that itv should put it back to saturday nights in quarter one and the ratings would receive a boost as bbc one have put nothing in its way on that night as Ian Hyland points out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    1630 Final Score
    1710 Animal Antics 5/6
    1740 BBC News,regional news
    1800 Pointless Celebrities 4/6
    1850 Let's Dance for Comic Relief 1/4

So it's basically been bumped from 6pm then. The first show of 2013 to be axed mid run.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    No one tweeting the ratings, not even a peak for Six nations. Ratings mustve been bad yesterday for both bbc and Itv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's basically been bumped from 6pm then. The first show of 2013 to be axed mid run.

Not mid-run but I suspect Britain's Brightest will not be returning either. Watched it for the first (and last) time last night, it was dire. Clare Balding does herself no favours by accepting every job offered to her, she should be more discerning, she looked out of her depth and positively unhappy, she's not the right person for this sort of show.I hope the prize money doesn't come out of my TV licence:(
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    No one tweeting the ratings, not even a peak for Six nations. Ratings mustve been bad yesterday for both bbc and Itv.

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

So just because they haven't been tweeted they must be bad?

Maybe they have been delayed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So they just decided to take Secret Service off the air because it was failing to hit 2m?
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

Average at best. If there were ratings good enough worth tweeting, the BBC or Itv Pr people wouldve done it by now.
  • Options
    excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly a vote of confidence in Animal Antics either, having the news moved after it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

Maybe they have been delayed.

Or, because it is Sunday and no one is generally tweeting ratings on a Sunday outside of the Autumn?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or, because it is Sunday and no one is generally tweeting ratings on a Sunday outside of the Autumn?

Are they on the BARB website?
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are getting bored of DOI because it has been around for years.
    Strictly has been around longer and viewers don't appear to be getting bored of that. The problem with DOI is that the whole format/presentation has been looking tired for a couple of years now and the producers have failed to correct these issues. SCD suffered in 2009 but they quickly addressed the problems the following year and the ratings went up.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I hope the prize money doesn't come out of my TV licence:(
    Where do you think the show's budget (which would include prize money) comes from?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I had a lie-in :D

BBC One
    14:00 - Six Nations (Scot/Ita): 3.51m (27.2%)
    * peak: 4.48m (31.5%) at 16:05
    16:30 - Six Nations (Fra/Wal): 4.71m (24.9%)
    * peak: 5.50m (25.0%) at 18:40
    19:00 - BBC News: 5.14m (23.6%)
    19:10 - Regional News: 5.58m (25.0%)
    19:20 - Britain's Brightest: 5.15m (22.7%)
    20:20 - The National Lottery: In It to Win It: 5.28m (23.2%)
    21:10 - Casualty: 5.59m (25.0%)
    22:00 - BBC News: 5.14m (24.9%)
    22:20 - Match of the Day: 3.99m (25.9%)
    23:40 - The Football League Show: 1.05m (13.9%)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »

BBC One

Very consistent and solid all the way through for BBC1, I have a feeling Britains Brightest will come back if only on the basis that the BBC wont have had any other ideas by next year. Although its a bit sad that next years schedule can probably be predicted now.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »

I suppose they could always try and give Andrew Lloyd Webber another shot. Superstar didn't do very well but it was buried in the middle of a very crowded summer and the stripped format was just odd. Maybe a weekly show in Q1 would have a little more success. Or I suppose they could spend a bit of money and try a UK version of The Amazing Race.

The Amazing Race would probably be too expensive and oddly I think it would be better as a weekday series than Saturday, I think the musical format can still work and its been successfully done in places like the Netherlands where they did shows searching for the leads in shows like Mary Poppins, Tarzan and Evita,
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When was the last time Casualty did that well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Where do you think the show's budget (which would include prize money) comes from?

Well if it comes out of the programme budget I can immediately save the BBC £50,000. Surely licence payers' money should not be spent on giving people prizes in tacky quiz and game shows ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great night for BBC One. I'm guessing ITV1 was below 4 million.
  • Options
    Forum Member

BBC One
    * peak: 4.48m (31.5%) at 16:05
    * peak: 5.50m (25.0%) at 18:40

First of all, how did you get access again?

Secondly, nice to see mostly everything in primetime over 5m.
This discussion has been closed.