Options

Why British Soaps are in Terminal Decline

Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
Forum Member
✭✭
I think its finally happened

The nation on a whole has fallen out of love with the soaps.

The explanation.

Theres only so many times an affair, an explosion, a car crash, a shock death, a wedding, a baby etc can be shocking an interesting.

Lets take Max Branning

A character that is going around and around in circles.

Marriage, Affair, Reveal, beg for forgiveness, renewed relationship, shock baby, marriage, affair....etc

I havent watched EastEnders properly for months.

I think the frequency of the episodes is Killing British Soap.

The inital demand for 4, 5 6 episodes a week was handled well to begin with. But the constant struggle for ratings has meant that writers are constantly going around in circles trying to manufacture Drama and in some cases recreate the golden years,

In coronation since Ricard Hillman weve had a further 2 High Profile multi Murder cases.

Tony
John Stape

All who started out as accidental killers. But as the storylines progressed Murdered to Cover their tracks.

Lets not forget Katy who went on to Kill herself and Tracy whoi Murdered Charlie. Karl who murdered Sunita,

There comes a point when the viewer becomes desensitised to the shock, and awe.

I used to love a good cracking stunt. Car Crash, explosion, tumble off a cliff etc.

But they happen that often now i find myself shrugging them off.

There was a time i would have been so excited about the big stunt in Emmerdale tonight. But its literally only 18 months since the last car went flying off a cliff.

The last amazing storyline was Danielle and Ronnie.

But even then impatient viewers are determined to wrap every major storyline up within a month (otherwise it gets accused of dragging.

Then they moan that Storylines are becoming repetitive. They don't give the stories a chance to breath and play out Naturally.

We've become a nation of rabid devouring, impatient soap watchers who love to complain.

I think the British soaps are in Terminal decline. I think its inevitable that at least one of the big 4 will end in the next 5-10 years

Comments

• Options
    Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody agree?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I agree, I don't understand why they have to be on so often, and I don't know why they employ writers with no imagination.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night Coronation Street secured an audience share of 39%. It regularly hovers around the 40% mark. So 4 out of 10 people watching all channels at that time are watching Corrie.

Unlike Elsie Tanner, it's not time for the knacker's yard just yet...
  • Options
    tripitakatripitaka Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    There are too many episodes and too many murders. I think corrie had one in the first twenty years but now they're a common occurrence. Even EastEnders didn't have that much in the early days.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Corrie definately over indulged on disasters and like since 2010, though from what I've been hearing, SB definately wants to cut back on them.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Hayley's Cancer storyline running until the end of the year i think you will find Corrie's ratings will rise significantly on last year or level, as one of the Street's most popular characters exits the soap.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its finally happened

The nation on a whole has fallen out of love with the soaps.

The explanation.

Theres only so many times an affair, an explosion, a car crash, a shock death, a wedding, a baby etc can be shocking an interesting.

Lets take Max Branning

A character that is going around and around in circles.

Marriage, Affair, Reveal, beg for forgiveness, renewed relationship, shock baby, marriage, affair....etc

I havent watched EastEnders properly for months.

I think the frequency of the episodes is Killing British Soap.

The inital demand for 4, 5 6 episodes a week was handled well to begin with. But the constant struggle for ratings has meant that writers are constantly going around in circles trying to manufacture Drama and in some cases recreate the golden years,

In coronation since Ricard Hillman weve had a further 2 High Profile multi Murder cases.

Tony
    John Stape

All who started out as accidental killers. But as the storylines progressed Murdered to Cover their tracks.

Lets not forget Katy who went on to Kill herself and Tracy whoi Murdered Charlie. Karl who murdered Sunita,

There comes a point when the viewer becomes desensitised to the shock, and awe.

I used to love a good cracking stunt. Car Crash, explosion, tumble off a cliff etc.

But they happen that often now i find myself shrugging them off.

There was a time i would have been so excited about the big stunt in Emmerdale tonight. But its literally only 18 months since the last car went flying off a cliff.

The last amazing storyline was Danielle and Ronnie.

But even then impatient viewers are determined to wrap every major storyline up within a month (otherwise it gets accused of dragging.

Then they moan that Storylines are becoming repetitive. They don't give the stories a chance to breath and play out Naturally.

We've become a nation of rabid devouring, impatient soap watchers who love to complain.

I think the British soaps are in Terminal decline. I think its inevitable that at least one of the big 4 will end in the next 5-10 years

John Stape was exceptional as he killed Charlotte in the heat of passion and Joy was manslaughter. He never set out to kill anyone. Richard Hillman era was also good though Richard was a cold blooded murderer who killed for money. The current Karl storyline is also good with Karl somewhere between John Stape and Hillman.

I never truly become bored of the soaps but I guess I'm exceptional.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody agree?

Have you checked out the Ratings Thread lately, and compared soap ratings with just about any other tv programme?

Apparently not.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    The soaps are still far away the most consistent ratings performers on telly. EastEnders is in decline compared to its former glories and I do think it's on a possible trajectory towards serious trouble, but Corrie and Emmerdale are safe as houses, and even EastEnders is still a very good performer in comparison to most dramas.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it is the writers or casting people who are causing the viewing figures to fall. Some recent 'actors' seem to have come in through the back door with no visible signs of talent, they are just annoying to watch. The girl who plays Faye in Corrie and the boy who plays Sean in Emmerdale - to name but a few. The producers need to read the forums and listen to what viewers want, not foist poor actors and poor storylines on us, in their 'nanny knows best' way.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it is the writers or casting people who are causing the viewing figures to fall. Some recent 'actors' seem to have come in through the back door with no visible signs of talent, they are just annoying to watch. The girl who plays Faye in Corrie and the boy who plays Sean in Emmerdale - to name but a few. The producers need to read the forums and listen to what viewers want, not foist poor actors and poor storylines on us, in their 'nanny knows best' way.

The two soaps you named there are the two soaps whose ratings, on the whole, are not falling.
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree - Coronation Street is having a really great run at the moment, and hasn't really faltered for at least 2/3 years now. It's on brilliant form.

Eastenders might not be at the level it was a few years ago, but a show that's survived as long as it has is always going to have ups and downs: it'll bounce back and viewers will return.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Hayley's Cancer storyline running until the end of the year i think you will find Corrie's ratings will rise significantly on last year or level, as one of the Street's most popular characters exits the soap.

A lot of people have said they've stopped watching it until that story line has finished because it's so upsetting so the ratings might in fact fall.

I don't just mean people on this forum but people I chat to on Facebook, other forums, real life LOL It's an unpopular story line.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest problem for TV execs is that these shows are consistently popular and get good ratings. ratings is everything these days especially on the commercial channels

Soaps are on too often and the storylines do suffer, get repetitive. However for TV to cu them back from 5 eps per week to say 3 would be serious loss of revenue for TV companies, so it aint gonna happen any time soon
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree they all need to be on less. I enjoy Corrie and Emmerdale but would prefer about 3 eps of each a week at most. Soaps have been dumbed down so much in the last 10/15 years. The acting has gotten worse, casting young uns for looks over acting skills etc.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree that they're in decline. Coronation Street regularly gets a 40% share. That's huge!

EastEnders and Emmerdale also pull in 30% - 40%. No other show touches them, considering they're on air every night.

The quality has certainly declined, but the demand for them is definitely still there. Less episodes can only be a good thing for them, but I doubt they'll cut the episodes when they're still holding up in their slots. Even so, if they do start to suffer due to the quality, they'll most likely axe the producer than axe an episode, unfortunately.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they deal with the same story lines, drug addiction seems to be flavour of the month.
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody agree?

Maybe you should have done a bit more homework on a wider tv scale eh?

TV in general is in decline - at least as far as overnight ratings go.
    The 3 main soaps are still generally the biggest rating shows on a nightly basis.
  • Options
    HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're on WAY too much! Six episodes of Emmerdale a week? Come on! When you've missed a whole week of Emmerdale you'll understand that 6 episodes of E'Dale every week is way too much.

2/3 times a week is enough, that way they don't need to come up with filler stories as often.
  • Options
    Steve SoapboxSteve Soapbox Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I totally agree with this thread and have been saying the same for years. Despite the explosion of other broadcast platforms - Internet, Sky, etc - which could be caused for the decline in TV ratings in recent years, if people want to watch a TV show they will find the time to do so.

UK TV on a whole has become completely unimaginative in recent years. American TV and even Australian TV setting the bar now for quality which UK TV desperately needs to learn from.

The UK soaps for the past 15 years have become desperately focused on sensationalism to deliver ratings, at the expense of truthful psychological character development. As the audience have got wise to this they've started switching off.

The demise of Brookside was caused by this. Once the most intelligent and boundary pushing soap on TV, it ended up becoming a shadow of its former glorious self, the plots and characters becoming stupid and absurd, and was axed years after it passed its sell by date.

IMO Neighbours is the best soap on the box at the mo, showing a maturity and relevance in its plots while putting character development at the heart of the drama.

I watch EastEnders but I can't say I enjoy it these days. Most of the actors are fantastic and always deliver, but the writing and storylining is mediocre, saying nothing illuminating about contemporary life. It's become a stocking filler of a TV show, very rarely setting the schedules alight these days.

What the soaps need to do is to go back to basics and return to being an intelligent, insightful and entertaining commentary on contemporary life. Only then will they regain their relevance and ultimately their ratings. As the author of this thread stated, while yet another sensational murder may get them on the cover of the TV mags, it is these plots what are ultimately killing their long term relevance and life span.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I don't think people have stopped watching all soaps, they just watch a couple. I know someone who used to watch six but now they watch two: Home and Away and Emmerdale.

If I had to cut down on two then Emmerdale would be one too.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HiMyNameIs wrote: »
    They're on WAY too much! Six episodes of Emmerdale a week? Come on! When you've missed a whole week of Emmerdale you'll understand that 6 episodes of E'Dale every week is way too much.

2/3 times a week is enough, that way they don't need to come up with filler stories as often.

Indeed. To make matters worse, once the producers decide which storyline to feature, they feature it for a run of successive episodes eg Rhona's drug addiction, Nikhil handling the aftermath of Gennie's death and now Alex's body on Declan's land.
    I totally agree with this thread and have been saying the same for years. Despite the explosion of other broadcast platforms - Internet, Sky, etc - which could be caused for the decline in TV ratings in recent years, if people want to watch a TV show they will find the time to do so.

UK TV on a whole has become completely unimaginative in recent years. American TV and even Australian TV setting the bar now for quality which UK TV desperately needs to learn from.

The UK soaps for the past 15 years have become desperately focused on sensationalism to deliver ratings, at the expense of truthful psychological character development. As the audience have got wise to this they've started switching off.

The demise of Brookside was caused by this. Once the most intelligent and boundary pushing soap on TV, it ended up becoming a shadow of its former glorious self, the plots and characters becoming stupid and absurd, and was axed years after it passed its sell by date.

IMO Neighbours is the best soap on the box at the mo, showing a maturity and relevance in its plots while putting character development at the heart of the drama.

I watch EastEnders but I can't say I enjoy it these days. Most of the actors are fantastic and always deliver, but the writing and storylining is mediocre, saying nothing illuminating about contemporary life. It's become a stocking filler of a TV show, very rarely setting the schedules alight these days.

What the soaps need to do is to go back to basics and return to being an intelligent, insightful and entertaining commentary on contemporary life. Only then will they regain their relevance and ultimately their ratings. As the author of this thread stated, while yet another sensational murder may get them on the cover of the TV mags, it is these plots what are ultimately killing their long term relevance and life span.

Indeed, I think the incest storyline on Brookside involving Nat and Georgia may have been the beginning of the end of Brookside. I think many people just found it too distasteful and unrealistic.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I've always thought of soaps as about being about characters rather than storylines.
    No two characters are exactly the same. Life is repetitive with babies being born, people dying, etc, so why would it be any different in a serial drama that's supposed to reflect reality?
  • Options
    KB1984KB1984 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Corrie, Brookside and EastEnders all started off as a pretty accurate depictions of real-life but they all eventually went into their own world.

Obviously Corrie was the first, starting in 1960, but even by the end of the 60s it was seen as an outdated nostalgic view of working class Northern English life.

By the end of the 70s, producer Bill Podmore had entered the fray and introduced more humour and light-heartedness to the show, stretching credibility a bit further. (the mid 70s to the mid 80s is still considered by some to be Corrie's "Golden Age")

By 1982, Corrie and Crossroads were the two main soaps and both seen as unrealistic and out-dated.

Channel Four was launching and Brookside was launched. Producer Phil Redmond wanted a realistic portrayal of ordinary life in the early 80s and was inspired by early Coronation Street.

By 1985, the BBC saw the success Corrie and Brookie was getting and wanting a piece of the action. So EastEnders was created, in a similar vein to Brookside, created a realistic view of 80s life, in the setting of the East End of London.

Coronation Street for the most part was still in it's nostalgic, light-hearted bubble and carried on in this vein.

Also through the 80s, popular US Soaps such as Dallas and Dynasty brought the idea of sensationalist/ stories to the UK audience (who shot JR? the Dynasty massacre etc etc etc)

The early 90s was when sensationalism really started in the UK. ITV's other soap Emmerdale's (people could argue this show was also in a bit of a nostalgic, idealistic bubble) ratings was in terminal decline. They turned to Brookside producer Phil Redmond in a last ditch attempt to save the show and get the show up the ratings table.

His solution? A plane crash. Nothing on this scale had ever been done before on a British soap before and it gripped the nation. It also attracted a lot of publicity for it's similarity to the Lockerbie plane crash only a few years previous. Nither reason did the ratings any harm whatsoever.

At the sametime over in Brookside, we had wife beater and child abuser Trevor Jordache killed by his wife and daughter and then buried under the patio. This controversial, sensational plot also drew in the viewers.

Around 96/97, Corrie was in decline. It was looking so outdated and twee compared to it's contemporaries (it was at the time compared to Last Of The Summer Wine), with far fetched mundane plots revolving around things like Derek's gnomes going missing and sending him postcards and the ghost of recently deceased character Ivy Brennan making her "presence" felt to certain Corrie residents.

In comparision to EastEnders, Brookside and the new and popular new youth-orientated soap Hollyoaks, Corrie was looking like a dinosaur.

Enter Brian Park, whose job it was to kick Corrie up the a?£e with sensationalist, headline grabbing stories. Many of the "old" characters like Percy Sugden and Derek Wilton axed to be replaced by the "family from hell" the Battersbys, a new, hunkier Nick Tilsley and a transsexual called Hayley :). Don Brennan going insane in his vendetta against Mike Baldwin, kidnapping his wife Alma, nearly drowning them both and then when that failed, driving at speed to kill Mike only for Mike to jump out the way to crash the car and kill himself :D amongst other storylines.

As people mentioned above, Brookside carried on getting more and more "out there" until it's cancellation in 2003.

With the increasing number of episodes per week also between the 90s and 00s (Emmerdale's trebled from two a week to six a week on average, the other soaps smilar) the quality has generally gone down and the producers still rely on sensationalism to bring the viewers in. The problem is viewers have seen everything sensational now and have tired/are tiring of it.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion the soaps now have too many episodes a week. Plus the writing seems to be dreadful most of the time.