Options

Roof collapse at Apollo Theatre, London

Comments

• Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing wrong in being concerned when you hear of news like this - especially if someone close to you is in the venue at the time (I don't know anyone there but others here may do).
  • Options
    JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky news reporting that all those trapped have now been freed. 65 injuries. Speculating that heavy rain could've leaked onto the ceiling plaster causing the collapse.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim extremists??

Don't be stupid
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    65 casualties announced now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we can certainly discount that witnesse's statement
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Don't be stupid

Its easy to say that now,but who knows how this collapse occurred!
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking

Five people seriously injured, more than 40 walking wounded, in London theatre ceiling collapse, police say bbc.in/1gJ6g9u
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saying 5 seriously injured on bbc news.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Talk about a performance to bring the roof down
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope people are ok

whoever is in charge of maintenance is in a shit load of trouble right now
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    hope people are ok

Not necessarily. If no visible cracks or bulges, etc., have appeared in the ceiling/plasterwork, then there is no way of telling what is happening to the internal structure. Water could have been seeping unseen in through the roof - doubt if anyone does a weekly wander over the roof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    hope people are ok

According to Wiki (I know), the theatre is a Grade II listed building and was sold in 2005 - presumably there was a surveyor's report done then and the structure will have been checked several times since.

I live in East London and we had thunder, lightning and lots of rain around two hours ago (didn't last long but was fairly intense). Perhaps that was a factor.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Wiki (I know), the theatre is a Grade II listed building and was sold in 2005 - presumably there was a surveyor's report done then and the structure will have been checked several times since.

I live in East London and we had thunder, lightning and lots of rain around two hours ago (didn't last long but was fairly intense). Perhaps that was a factor.

Yes im in South London, and it was tipping it down earlier, loud thunder and some flashes of lightning.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It wasn't 'DS over reaction', and no-one here has been hysterical.

I made the thread based on the news as it was announced on LBC radio, posting the situation as they announced it at the time.

You should leave the citizen's journalism to that other guy. :p
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, it's not just West End theatres either. The Leeds Grand and York Opera houses are in a complete mess and haven't been structurally renovated in a very long time.

Leeds Grand Theatre had a major refurbishment, including structural improvements, in 2005 and was closed for a year.
    Latest reports seem to be no serious injuries thank goodness*. The Apollo's a beautiful theatre, been there quite a few times.
    So it wasn't the balcony, it's a minor fall of non load bearing ceiling plasterwork ?

I mentioned to a friend that it might have been the plasterwork that had come off. It will still have been incredibly distressing for all involved and plaster falling from height can still cause injuries.

ETA: * I see the Beeb are reporting five serious now and 40 walking wounded.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am surprised sky not got the skycopter up and horrible kay burley on scene
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Leeds Grand Theatre had a major refurbishment, including structural improvements, in 2005 and was closed for a year.
    Latest reports seem to be no serious injuries thank goodness. The Apollo's a beautiful theatre, been there quite a few times.

There are people seriously injured unfortunately.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are people seriously injured unfortunately.

Yeah I just edited my previous post when I saw the latest update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so we had a couple in the balcony above who ran out, an australian in a bar who witnessed a badly injured woman but that woman managed to give him an account of what happened, an Italian in his kitchen talking gobbledegook, and some guy who wasn't there. Do you think they'll get some reliable ones out of the 750
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's gone from a balcony collapse to the roof collapsing. Now it's just part of the ceiling.

And has anyone heard of the play that's on in that theatre? I certainly have now. :-)
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    So it's gone from a balcony collapse to the roof collapsing. Now it's just part of the ceiling.

And has anyone heard of the play that's on in that theatre? I certainly have now. :-)
    Yes it's based on a book.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    So it wasn't the balcony, it's a minor fall of non load bearing ceiling plasterwork ?
    Is there such a thing as load-bearing ceiling plasterwork?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's based on a book.

I'm afraid I've never heard of the book either.I'll look it up.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as load-bearing ceiling plasterwork?

You are orilly men?
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    I'm afraid I've never heard of the book either.I'll look it up.

It's a good book, very unique.