Options

UKIP to target Labour voters.

Comments

• Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Hmmm, those 2 massive recessions under the Conservatives and the risible 'green shoots of recovery" that never actually happened until Labour took power in 1997 - I just completely imagined those, did I ?

Labour were following conservative spending plans well into the early 00's, even ran a surplus under those plans then the borrowing started right back up again.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Labour were following conservative spending plans well into the early 00's, even ran a surplus under those plans then the borrowing started right back up again.
    When the evidence doesn't fit, just ignore it, eh ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the evidence doesn't fit, just ignore it, eh ?

You have not posted anything that even looks like evidence.

If this is regarding Britains fall in GDP rankings as BA says it does not factor in debt.

My point still stands blair inherited an economy that was growing and followed conservative spending plans which led to a budget surplus.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If this is regarding Britains fall in GDP rankings as BA says it does not factor in debt.

My point still stands blair inherited an economy that was growing and followed conservative spending plans which led to a budget surplus.

It was part of their election pledge that they would follow the Conservative spending plans for two years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was part of their election pledge that they would follow the Conservative spending plans for two years.

They had no choice but to, the bonds had already been sold.
  • Options
    sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean the national debt that's risen from £0.76 trillion to $1.33 trillion under this government?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt
    http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt_chart.html
    http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

How the Tories have got the nerve to accuse Labour of being the "borrowing" party is just the biggest joke of them all.
    They're leading us to ruin, selling us down the swanee.
    But do they care? No. Because after their term is over, they'll all still be multi millionaires,
    and as per usual, it will be the people who suffer the consequences.

The Tories cannot be trusted with anything. The NHS, the welfare state, education, public services, statistics, facts, the country, the truth, nothing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sangreal wrote: »
    You mean the national debt that's risen from £0.76 trillion to $1.33 trillion under this government?

How the Tories have got the nerve to accuse Labour of being the "borrowing" party is just the biggest joke of them all.
    But do they care? No. Because after their term is over, they'll all still be multi millionaires,

The Tories cannot be trusted with anything. The NHS, the welfare state, education, public services, statistics, facts, the country, the truth, nothing!

So you are advocating more cuts?

The borrowing figures would have been the same under any party that had been elected, you simply cannot cut a £150 billion (that Labour left) deficit down to nothing in a couple of years.
  • Options
    sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are advocating more cuts?

The borrowing figures would have been the same under any party that had been elected, you simply cannot cut a £150 billion (that Labour left) deficit down to nothing in a couple of years.

No. Cuts are not the solution. At least, not cuts that directly affect the public so heavily. And not as fast and deep as the ones this government's made.

Growth is part of the solution, but this country had no growth for the first 3+ years of the coalition and has only just started to get into +% growth again.... just!

They could've generated some money from our national assets, if only they hadn't privatised them all...

How much of that 150 billion deficit was fiscal stimulus packages as an attempt to fix the damage done by the global credit crunch / global financial downturn / global recession?

How much of it was used for bailing out the banks?
    Have the banks paid any of it back?

The Tories killed growth, wasted all the money from those stimulus packages and led us back into another recession, resulting in us losing our AAA credit rating.

All as an excuse to bring in the cuts they originally came into politics for in the first place.

But the Tories are still trying to blame Labour for the global crisis.

Oh, and it's been 4 years, not 2
    (and almost 6 years since the crisis).

You're right though, we'd undoubtedly be in a mess no matter who was in power.
    It's just the way of the world these days...

Under the present system, I'm not sure if there is a solution.

Imperialism didn't work.
    Communism didn't work.
    Capitalism is failing (or already has).
    What next?
    People power and true democracy maybe? Yeah, as if....
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You need to learn a bit a about how economics work.

It doesn't matter who you vote for, that deficit has got to be cut, not to zero, now we have to generate a surplus every year for the next 20 years.

If you want to import 6 million people, somebodies got to pay for them.
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, those 2 massive recessions under the Conservatives and the risible 'green shoots of recovery" that never actually happened until Labour took power in 1997 - I just completely imagined those, did I ?

bullsh*t. absolute bullsh*t.

the recovery was well on the way before 1997. i lived and worked through that period.so yes, you imagined it. as for after 97, all i can say is thank god brown stuck to the tory spending plans for the first two years of his teunre as chancellor.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    No. Cuts are not the solution. At least, not cuts that directly affect the public so heavily. And not as fast and deep as the ones this government's made.

Growth is part of the solution, but this country had no growth for the first 3+ years of the coalition and has only just started to get into +% growth again.... just!

They could've generated some money from our national assets, if only they hadn't privatised them all...

How much of that 150 billion deficit was fiscal stimulus packages as an attempt to fix the damage done by the global credit crunch / global financial downturn / global recession?

How much of it was used for bailing out the banks?
    Have the banks paid any of it back?

The Tories killed growth, wasted all the money from those stimulus packages and led us back into another recession, resulting in us losing our AAA credit rating.

All as an excuse to bring in the cuts they originally came into politics for in the first place.

But the Tories are still trying to blame Labour for the global crisis.

Oh, and it's been 4 years, not 2
    (and almost 6 years since the crisis).

You're right though, we'd undoubtedly be in a mess no matter who was in power.
    It's just the way of the world these days...

Under the present system, I'm not sure if there is a solution.

Imperialism didn't work.
    Communism didn't work.
    Capitalism is failing (or already has).
    What next?
    People power and true democracy maybe? Yeah, as if....

explain to me how this economic system of people power would work?

it sound like just empty words.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I agree and don't understand how people on here can continually blame the Labour party for mass immigration from Europe, its not as if the Tories have done anything about it either.

Labour do need to reconnect with the working class of this country, they need more people in the party who come from ordinary backgrounds.

Labour unnecessarily allowed unlimited EU immigration from new member states in 2004. Now they say it was a mistake !

Reconnecting with the working class isn't going to happen because we're no longer in the 1970s. Most of them were taught about aspiration and the "carrot and stick" in the 1980s.

New Labour was a new party that bore little resemblance to its previous form and is increasingly made up of metropolitan, middle class professionals who live in the bubble of comfort and feel they know best how to protect (and patronise) the working classes.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    The character of a clown. UKIP might do alright in an election the voters don't take seriously, but at the next general election it will be back under 5% and still seatless.
    It won't. UKIP will do very well and I think a few MPs will happen. Get Nigel in the House of Commons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A demagogue, you mean.
    A British patriot and a great guy.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

Ah! The "patriot" line.

Now where have I heard this approach before......?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

I think many people see Farage as a refreshing change from the other three leaders who are privileged and have not made their own way. In that sense he's seen to be in touch and on the people's side.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    I think many people see Farage as a refreshing change from the other three leaders who are privileged and have not made their own way. In that sense he's seen to be in touch and on the people's side.

Why is a person (son of a stockbroker) who went to public school and went on to become a commodities broker "in touch with the people" any more than other leaders from middle class backgrounds who went to public school??:confused:
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Why is a person (son of a stockbroker) who went to public school and went on to become a commodities broker "in touch with the people" any more than other leaders from middle class backgrounds who went to public school??:confused:

Maybe because he seems to care about the people of this country more.
    He gives the impression of wanting to do something for his country and the people, rather than the career politicians, who just want to serve themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah! The "patriot" line.

Now where have I heard this approach before......?
    I consider him a Patriot. I say fair play to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Unlike you GGP, I have no chip on my shoulder and am able to make a judgment about someone not based on whether he had a private education or not.

He focuses on the expensive and excessive EU political process and how it removes decision making from the people. That shows me how he's more in touch than the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once Nigel is in the house of Commons and fighting on the behalf of British patriots and seeking freedom from European tyranny, it will be a great day indeed.

Most politicians come and go without attaining out highest attention and concentration and admiration. Now and then an individual appears marking his advent with evidences of marvelous superiority to his contemporaries in some higher sphere of human action. We can not always define his name or traits but want of a better term, we say he is gifted among mere mortals with genius. Such is Nigel Farage, he is a very genius of a leader.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Unlike you GGP, I have no chip on my shoulder and am able to make a judgment about someone not based on whether he had a private education or not.

He focuses on the expensive and excessive EU political process and how it removes decision making from the people. That shows me how he's more in touch than the others.

I believe it was you who mentioned the other leaders had privileged backgrounds, and then got a little miffed when it was pointed out that Farage had a similar privileged background.

Farage is totally out of touch with me and my values.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In order for UKIP to attract both Labour and Tory voters they'd have to:

a)Occupy the central ground - which they don't, and
    b) have credible budgetted and deliverable policies worth voting for - which they don't.

An interesting premise, but I just can't see how they can target Labour voters whilst also supposedly appealing to the tory right.

I think they fair well in the euro elections because the public aren't all the switched onto MEP goings on and quite like the idea of having a fly in the EU ointment but in a general election I still don't see UKIP winning a single seat because they're more a protest group than a party and without Farage at the helm they'd be nothing...

...and they aren't that much with him!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe it was you who mentioned the other leaders had privileged backgrounds, and then got a little miffed when it was pointed out that Farage had a similar privileged background.

Farage is totally out of touch with me and my values.

I wasn't "miffed", as you interpreted. I knew he was privately educated and had worked in the City. He does, however, have more of an idea about life's difficulties and struggling to survive than Cameron, Clegg or Miliband.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    In order for UKIP to attract both Labour and Tory voters they'd have to:

a)Occupy the central ground - which they don't, and
    b) have credible budgetted and deliverable policies worth voting for - which they don't.

and what if you intended to keep everything the same as it is now, except get out of Europe, why would you need any policies?