Options

Man drives at two girls, kills them and pleads not guilty to manslaughter

mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
Forum Member
✭✭
.....and the CPS accepted his lesser plea of causing death by dangerous driving.

This was not his first driving offence.

I simply cannot understand why the crown prosecution service allowed him to do this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-26371753
Samuel Etherington, 20, had taken ketamine and mephedrone before the accident.

Nicholas Haggan QC, prosecuting, told the court Etherington had been due to pick up the girls after a party but drove past them, before driving his car at high speed directly at them.

Mr Haggan said a black box fitted to the vehicle for insurance purposes showed Etherington accelerated to 71mph (114kmh) with the collision happening at 65mph.

He described how the two girls had their arms around each other's shoulders when they were struck by the car on the wrong side of the road and flung into the air.

He got a nine year sentence, so is likely to be out in four and a half years.

Apparently he is very sorry and he cried for four days. Oh, and he is banned from driving for seven years. Big deal.

Have i morphed into a reactionary old bag, or is this totally out of order?

I checked the first three pages and couldn't find a thread on this which surprised me as I would have though it was a 24 carat outrage provoker.
Using search didn't work, but knowing what terms to search on was tricky. Selfish drugged up murdering **** didn't work.

Comments

• Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Very sad, but what the hell was he doing meeting up with a 14 year old kid?! What the hell was a 14 year old doing up a 4.15am, meeting a 20 year old guy?!

My niece is nearly 14, and the thought of her jumping in a 20 year old druggies car at 4.15 in the morning is scary, but I can't see her being so stupid.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have hung the ****.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Very sad, but what the hell was he doing meeting up with a 14 year old kid?! What the hell was a 14 year old doing up a 4.15am, meeting a 20 year old guy?!

My niece is nearly 14, and the thought of her jumping in a 20 year old druggies car at 4.15 in the morning is scary, but I can't see her being so stupid.

Rumour had it ( along with all other ones at the time) he was dating the 16 year old.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Letting him drive again in 7 years is worse than the lenient jail sentence.
  • Options
    IyahIyah Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Very unfortunate loss of two young lives and it seems he definitely got off lightly

Article in the OP says the decision was made in consultation with of the families of the victims.

Please consider that before erecting the DS gallows .
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Rumour had it ( along with all other ones at the time) he was dating the 16 year old.

I'd feel so weird at 20, taking a 14 year old out in my car at 4.15 in the morning, because I was going out with her slightly older friend, very creepy.

Not sure why I'd expect him to have any morals though if he drives while high and thinks driving at people at 65mph is a great idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Letting him drive again in 7 years is worse than the lenient jail sentence.

It's 7 years after he has completed his sentence and must take an extended driving test.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iyah wrote: »
    Very unfortunate loss of two young lives and it seems he definitely got off lightly

Article in the OP says the decision was made in consultation with of the families of the victims.

Please consider that before erecting the DS gallows .

I am well aware of the contents of the article.

I am totally in awe of the dignity with which the families approached the trial and the sentencing decision - which seems pretty much like a UK version of a plea bargain.

That does nothing to reduce my feeling that this young man has got off too lightly considering the crime he committed. To be honest, i find it hard to understand how anyone can claim that they did not intend to kill two people when they drove directly at them and hit them at 65mph. Seriously - how could you think that you wouldn't kill them (however high you were at the time)?

I have never been a supporter of capital punishment, but i think manslaughter was the crime which this person committed and that he should have received a sentence commensurate with that crime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You see - like the guy who got 4.5 years for killing a man by punching him it makes a mockery of the different tariff he will get for murder. Again to me these killings are no better than murder and her should receive a sentence appropriate to the one you would get for murder. Then, at least, it may act as a deterrent for those contemplating this kind of act in the future. Will this crime wasn't probably premeditated the result is the same - the death of the person (s) concerned.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm outraged, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I am well aware of the contents of the article.

I am totally in awe of the dignity with which the families approached the trial and the sentencing decision - which seems pretty much like a UK version of a plea bargain.

That does nothing to reduce my feeling that this young man has got off too lightly considering the crime he committed. To be honest, i find it hard to understand how anyone can claim that they did not intend to kill two people when they drove directly at them and hit them at 65mph. Seriously - how could you think that you wouldn't kill them (however high you were at the time)?

I have never been a supporter of capital punishment, but i think manslaughter was the crime which this person committed and that he should have received a sentence commensurate with that crime.

BIB - is an excuse in reality IMO. If you choose to do drugs (and you do have a choice), then IMO you automatically HAVE to accept responsibility for your actions even if you cannot remember them. That is the price you pay and the responsibility you take with taking drugs. Should have been given life IMO as a penance for the two lives he took.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a very sad story. I am so sorry for the families and friends of the two girls.