What was the Millennium moment like?

HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm 16 right now and was two years old at the time, meaning I was too young to recall the moment the world entered a new millennium, which makes me sad as it seems that it was quite an exciting time.

I was discussing the millennium moment with some adults that I know earlier this week and I was interested to hear how they all celebrated the moment.

So how did you find the moment? Were you excited? Did you not care at all? Was it a moment you'll treasure or do you think it was just another plain old New Year's Eve?

Why am I asking? Just curious is all, plus it might give you the chance to feel a bit nostalgic for a moment. :p

Comments

• kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Y2K never happened, and we had the embarrassing spectacle of an exuberant and probably drunk Cherie Blair gurning her way through Auld Lang Syne whilst attempting to shake Her Majesty's arms off.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very noisy where I live. Fireworks galore. Oh I seem to remember we were also threatened with some kind of Armageddon re computers melting down, or some such nonsense. :D
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at a street party,they played Pulp's Disco 2000, the world didn't end which was a relief, and there was a great episode of Eastenders on that night as well if I remember correctly.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing.... no computer system melt down, no planes dropping out of the sky, no power stations exploding, no anarchy etc etc.. I'd stocked up on canned goods, water and guns especially :(
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    I just tried to ignore it all...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was eleven at the time and it just felt like a New Years party. Had my niece and nephew stay for sleepover. Was glad to be able to stay up all night. Didn't think much about the date.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know i keep going back to this but I swear that we were promised a "river of fire" that night with some absurdly over the top fireworks display but it never happened and nobody ever explained why ..
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    It was exactly the same as every other New Year's Eve, I was drunk at a party, we sang auld lang syne and that was it.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that is was a strange Christmas that year(1999) as it was totally overshadowed by the Millennium.

New Years Eve was quite exciting,with the TV counting down the moment from early morning but I ended up being at probably the worst party ever!

It was a bit of an anticlimax in the end as life continued as normal.

Wow I can't believe that was over 14 years ago!
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    My boyfriend at the time decided that we were going to a family party in Manchester. He was a Sikh and I borrowed a sari from his sister to wear for the occasion.

Halfway between Bradford and Manchester his car broke down. My Millennium moment was spent shivering on Saddleworth Moor, throwing a major strop about being stuck up there for what seemed like hours. We had a good view of everyone's fireworks at midnight so I cheered up a bit.

We finally arrived at his aunt's house at 3am.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were fireworks and nothing else of consequence happened, just like every new year. It was rather a let down after all the hype.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people celebrated it a year early too!
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was working making sure Y2K didn't become a reality - made a fortune.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a bit of a hazy blur to be honest, I was absolutely steaming on moonshine and beer.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my perspective, the Millennium permanently killed New Years Eve.

There was this massive amount of hype in the media about it so pubs and bars made the typical decision to exploit the situation and charge a fortune to get in. From what I remember most people decided to go to a house party instead. It all became a bit of an anti-climax really, which wasn't helped by the media then claiming that 1999 wasn't the real millennium and that the end of 2000 was.

I was 17 at the time and couldn't afford to go into town so agreed to go to a mates uncle's house for a party. Up to this point the only experience i'd had of family parties was on my dad's side, where usually 30 odd people would turn up, the women would make food whilst the men did their best to get as drunk as possible (which I thought was the most fun thing ever at the time). However my mate's uncle's idea of a house party was having 4 adults and 3 teenagers sitting in a living room drinking bottled beer with the tv on. To say I was disappointed was a understatement.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was high on mushrooms drinking champagne while watching Manic Street Preachers! It was an awesome night! :cool:

On a down side I introduced two people to each other who went on to have a very alcoholic and destructive relationship that should have been avoided. I have since removed myself for the people I was with as they were having a bad effect on my mental health.

Great night tho ;)
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 9 at the time and was so anticipating the end of the world because everyone was raving about the Millenium Bug.
  • Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    I stayed up to watch the ball drop and to see if the world was going to fall into utter chaos due to Y2K. Really I was disappointed because I was 9 months pregnant and I was hoping I would be the first one to have a baby in the new millennium :D
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member
    Total anti-climax. If you wanted to go out anywhere it cost a fortune, even if it was just to the local pub. But then I usually find new year a bit dull.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    Total anti-climax. If you wanted to go out anywhere it cost a fortune, even if it was just to the local pub. But then I usually find new year a bit dull.

I now sleep through it, much better! :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Funny to see a thread on this, I was just thinking about 1999 and the Millennium earlier on! :D I remember all the scaremongering about the Millennium Bug and how computers would crash and planes would fall out of the sky and all that stuff. I remember they sent out leaflets to every household on how to prepare for Y2K. Someone must have made a fortune on it!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny to see a thread on this, I was just thinking about 1999 and the Millennium earlier on! :D I remember all the scaremongering about the Millennium Bug and how computers would crash and planes would fall out of the sky and all that stuff. I remember they sent out leaflets to every household on how to prepare for Y2K. Someone must have made a fortune on it!

Yeah, IT developers made an absolute mint fixing affected systems. And they were surprisingly very successful in their work fixing financiaI and infrastructures systems... think a few ATMs had a couple of issues but that seemed to be about it. A rare example of a large IT maintenance project that went very well.... still disappointed that I didn't get to experience a post-apocolypse Mad Max style New Years eve
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Very overrated - we had a party and so did next door neighbours. We all got together at midnight to do Auld Lang Syne and that was it.

No different to any other New Year celebration really except for the fireworks which were a bit of an anti climax as nobody really wanted to stop partying and go out into the cold to let them off. Ever since fireworks appear to be a regular fixture of a lot of people's parties.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't notice the actual moment, because I was too busy with trying to stop two aunts from arguing into an eye-scratching-hair-pulling fight.

This was during the shogatsu week, too. It was a very confusing time, to be honest.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Millennium moment? There were plenty of people banging on about how we were celebrating it a year early as there was no year zero, so it shouldn't be until 00:00 01/01/2001.