Options

Would you boycott the Dorchester?

fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
Forum Member
The Sultan of Brunei has just sanctioned a law which allows the stoning to death of gay men. He also owns the Dorchester Collection of hotels.

Would you boycott the Dorchester because of this?
Even if they offered you a free stay?

Also, why the boycott now when women have been flogged and put to death for years? Are women not as important as gays?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/05/08/dorchester-collection-responds-to-boycott-over-brunei-stone-the-gays-law/

Richard Branson is the latest to jump on this bandwagon, despite flying to many places with anti-gay laws: http://travel.aol.co.uk/2014/05/04/richard-branson-virgin-boycott-brunei-dorchester-collection-hotels-stone-gays/

Comments

• Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    The Sultan of Brunei has just sanctioned a law which allows the stoning to death of gay men. He also owns the Dorchester Collection of hotels.

Also, why the boycott now when women have been flogged and put to death for years? Are women not as important as gays?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/05/08/dorchester-collection-responds-to-boycott-over-brunei-stone-the-gays-law/

Richard Branson is the latest to jump on this bandwagon, despite flying to many places with anti-gay laws: http://travel.aol.co.uk/2014/05/04/richard-branson-virgin-boycott-brunei-dorchester-collection-hotels-stone-gays/

No, but I'd be happy to stone it. Break a few windows.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I'd be happy to stone it. Break a few windows.

That and a boycott works for me.:)
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would most definitely boycott it. Brunei couldn't pay me to stay there at the moment, same as the Emirates couldn't pay me to fly on their airlines.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Branston is calling for a boycott of hotels worldwide owned by The Sultan of Brunei,and I believe Virgin have already started the boycott
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Richard Branston is calling for a boycott of hotels worldwide owned by The Sultan of Brunei,and I believe Virgin have already started the boycott

Must say, Im in a pickle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »

Yes ok, but taking a view is a dangerous business for a man like Branson. He still flies to quite a few countries where there are suspect laws about homosexuality. It's all very well saying he won't stay at the hotels but he is happy to fly to these places.

Also, what about the bloody women who have been persecuted for years? Why do the gays get all the press?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't boycott it, we can't hurt the owner financially but the staff might suffer.

I'd give my free room to a gay couple, and hope they lived it large.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, what about the bloody women who have been persecuted for years? Why do the gays get all the press?
    I agree with you. The way the media ignores the maltreatment of women is sickening.

Doesn't make what Brunei is doing here any less wrong though.
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I wouldn't boycott it, we can't hurt the owner financially but the staff might suffer.
    Make no mistake. The Dorchester Collection may well be a tiny part of the Sultan's assets, but it's a part he is EXTREMELY proud of. When it suffers he notices.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'll continue to boycott something I've never heard of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Yes, I'll continue to boycott something I've never heard of.

Why are you here? If you don't know what the Dorchester is, why bother to comment or try Google if you want to comment.

Sigh
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you here? If you don't know what the Dorchester is, why bother to comment or try Google if you want to comment.

Sigh

I'm here because I want to be, and because I do not need your permission to post here.

Also, I didn't see the word "the" before "Dorchester" in the thread title. I was curious as to what the thread was about, and why somebody would want to boycott a town in Southern England.

ETA: Google wasn't required, the links in the OP and article made it clear what it was. Still, my point stands - I shall continue not to go there. I'd feel very silly calling it a boycott though as like the majority of people I have never had enough money to stay in a luxury hotel.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I appear to have been boycotting the Dorchester my whole life. Result!
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    That and a boycott works for me.:)

I can't boycott it as that would imply I stay there...and I don't :D
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    I agree with you. The way the media ignores the maltreatment of women is sickening.

Make no mistake. The Dorchester Collection may well be a tiny part of the Sultan's assets, but it's a part he is EXTREMELY proud of. When it suffers he notices.

With the best will in the world, I can't help that feel that DS posters and Dorchester collection clientèle don't actually have a huge overlap.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've never even set foot in the Dorchester. I can't afford it. I don't think that'll change in the near future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    With the best will in the world, I can't help that feel that DS posters and Dorchester collection clientèle don't actually have a huge overlap.

Perhaps, but does that stop you having an opinion on whether you would or would not stay?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

i can't even afford to go there but if i could i would boycott it
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A protest outside such hotels would have more effect than a boycott alone , the people who can afford such hotels will probably still go, but the bad publicity from people standing outside with placards would not be welcome and may put people off.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can promise to continue with my "boycott" if that helps? :D
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

I think my suggestion (tongue in cheek but serious) is a valid form of protest. I know equating gay with camp is wrong and borderline offensive to some, but I'd like to see, well you can imagine. :D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Try reading The Guardian. It's obsessed with women's rights.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I would boycott it, yes.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the place is picketed and those who stay there named and shamed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try reading The Guardian. It's obsessed with women's rights.
    Considering just how badly women are abused across the world you can't begrudge that ONE media outlet out of all those in the UK actually report on it surely.
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    If the message gets around that the Dorchester is a poisonous brand to be associated with their clientele will shrink. DS and other Internet outlets can still spread the word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Hopefully the place is picketed and those who stay there named and shamed.

How would you suggest they are named and shamed? Why should they be named and shamed? If we all avoided restaurants, hotels and shops that had owners with odious views, none of us would ever do anything, would we?