LBC creeping back to to being a London station

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
Forum Member
LBC made great play of being a national station when it launced across the UK in February, but the novelty appears to have worn off and they are fast losing any pretence of being a national station.

The London focus is increasingly obvious - whilst I appreciate that the core of their audience is in the capital, I just can't see how they can hope to grow nationally off the back of a diet of stories focused on the London mayor, London taxis, London house prices etc., with roving reporters who never rove more than 10 miles from Leicester Square. All of this is packaged around adverts for London restaurants, Galliard Homes etc.

LBC will never succeed by being a London station that happens to broadcast nationally, completely alienating anybody outside the capital and the home counties.

I just hope LBC decides what they want the station to be and sticks to it.

Comments

• gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is currently being discussed on the LBC thread. I've borrowed a quote from there, which was issued by LBC when the station switched to DAB:

"Essentially, the only change you will notice is that you can now listen to LBC anywhere around the country on your DAB digital radio. We will have a new tagline - Leading Britain's Conversation - but you won't see any change in the content of the shows."

It has never been a national station, like Talksport, Absolute or FiveLive. It's a local (London) station which has made itself available to a national audience. The only difference is that the travel and weather bulletins cover a wider area.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    It does make the decision to spend money on national DAB a strange one - if they genuinely don't give a toss about listeners outside London why spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on carriage?

Any uplift in listeners and advertising revenue will be marginal.

Interesting that TalkSport, meanwhile, are developing localised content.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much of their content, even when it's London-focussed, is relevant to the rest of the UK. Some days are more relevant than others; I've not got a lot of interest in London taxi drivers for instance which was one of the big stories this week.

LBC's big moments since going national have all been universally relevant - the EU debate, Farage/O'Brien etc

Global are playing a good game with LBC - if it's successful nationally they can claim the credit, if not they can argue that it's just a London-station so there's no problem.

Of course the fact that they can now be heard nationwide gives them influence that perhaps they didn't have before. They've certainly stolen a march on Five Live since February.
  • Summer DeepSummer Deep Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I live in the Manchester area, and listen fairly regularly to LBC. I'm not particularly alienated by its London content and standpoint. The callers seem a pretty diverse bunch, largely articulate with interesting opinions, and there are some pretty decent presenters (Barkes, Hosken, Dale, Lamb).

I'd rather listen to it than Radio Manchester, which seems to play 60s and 70s music half the day, and Radio Merseyside, where most of the callers are still stuck in 1979 and drivel away about Thatcher and "the cuts" a lot of the time.

Then again, I did live in London for 27 years!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that people see the Uber controversy as a London story here. When NPR covered the story this week it was reported as an issue in several North American cities and across Europe. I didn't hear LBC put it into a world-wide context the way NPR did.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Interesting that people see the Uber controversy as a London story here. When NPR covered the story this week it was reported as an issue in several North American cities and across Europe. I didn't hear LBC put it into a world-wide context the way NPR did.

Interesting point - I heard the same story. My main criticism of LBC is not so much that it is London-centric but that is is parochial and repetitive.

Uber, interest rates, the property crisis all have a wider picture yet LBC repeats the same narrow arguments.

Maybe I really want NPR UK! As it is, I will be surprised if LBC is picking up many listeners on Digital 1.
  • mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Its London-centric stance is what attracts me to the station being stuck in Manchester.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people work in London but live way outside the city and London (like it or not) is the beating heart of this country, I also remember that around 98% of the TV license fee was spent in and around London hence the pointless BBC waste of money Salford move.

As for LBC I find it total uncluttered with jingles,presenters and trailers unlike BBC 5 Live, they also never forget that they are talking to the listeners unlike 5 live which often forget the listeners and talk amongst themselves.

I dislike the way LBC presenters keep repeating over and over whats the subject matter is and then at the end of the show apologize to callers who never got on,Julia Hartley-Brewer is the worst for this.

My opinion on LBC from somebody who lives a long way outside London.:)
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five Live is a dog's breakfast at times especially that unnecessarily complicated top of the hour sequence that they've introduced recently. In terms of production values LBC is streets ahead.

I often think they could do with a longer news programme in the evening; their morning news programme is superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I listened to LBC on DAB when it was a London only station and I still listen now its a national station :D

-- posted from chilly jocko land
  • deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How times change - in the 1980s and 90s the criticism was that LBC was all national news*with nothing particularly local to London.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I agree with the London bias, I left London 23 years ago and before leaving I spent many years listening LBC (London Broadcasting Company) does anybody remember when the late Bob Holness and Douglas Cameron and almost forgot Martha Cearney..
    They are taking very little non- London advertising.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »

Of course the fact that they can now be heard nationwide gives them influence that perhaps they didn't have before. They've certainly stolen a march on Five Live since February.

And are a welcome alternative to the almost non-stop sport station that 5live will be for the best part of the next three months!
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    I have yet to find anyone here in Norfolk who listens to it. The money would be better spent putting Gold back on DAB.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    I have yet to find anyone here in Norfolk who listens to it. The money would be better spent putting Gold back on DAB.

Ian Dale at the weekends is one lol
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingswells wrote: »
    I agree with the London bias, I left London 23 years ago and before leaving I spent many years listening LBC (London Broadcasting Company) does anybody remember when the late Bob Holness and Douglas Cameron and almost forgot Martha Cearney..
    They are taking very little non- London advertising.

Ah, the good old days of the Bob and Doug breakfast show, remember it well.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to LBC at night when I can't sleep (quite often!) There are some very interesting debates going on most nights and Stephen Alan's catty comments I find very funny.
    It is a good station but it is still London biased and I don't understand why they think that people in other parts of the UK are interested in what goes on in that crap hole! Certainly not where I live anyway!

EDIT: Oh, and that strapline "Leading Britain's Conversation" ... Desperate!!
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been an LBC listener for years online and it has always mainly been national issues that are discussed. The Hackney Carriage drivers is something that people have been talking about all over the UK. Many stories that happen in London are national stories by definition of that fact that it's our capital city.

The time spent talking about local London issues is small from my perspective. I like the Medical hour, Legal hour, Mystery hour, some days I listen to Steve Allen (I time shift it) and I used to like James Whale's drive, but I have stopped listening to that now that Iain it on it (although I like his evening show I don't like him on drive)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I have been an LBC listener for years online and it has always mainly been national issues that are discussed. The Hackney Carriage drivers is something that people have been talking about all over the UK. Many stories that happen in London are national stories by definition of that fact that it's our capital city.
    )

It's not my capital city, my capital city is Cardiff! I don't hear people talking about London's Taxis anywhere here!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not my capital city, my capital city is Cardiff! I don't hear people talking about London's Taxis anywhere here!

Surely Uber will affect any city where there is demand for taxis, which could well include Cardiff.

I'm sure that LBC sounds London-centric to people who don't live here, but to those of us that do, it just sounds like a phone-in station where some of the topics are based in London. It doesn't sound like a local station and there's very little chance that any truly local stories will be discussed on air.
  • wilson500wilson500 Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main benefit to me of them becoming a national station was they stopped saying "LBC ninety seven point three" every link. It become very irritating, They'd even say it during the news. "An LBC ninety seven point three reporter spoke to...".
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    thebunster wrote: »
    LBC made great play of being a national station when it launced across the UK in February, but the novelty appears to have worn off and they are fast losing any pretence of being a national station.

The London focus is increasingly obvious - whilst I appreciate that the core of their audience is in the capital, I just can't see how they can hope to grow nationally off the back of a diet of stories focused on the London mayor, London taxis, London house prices etc., with roving reporters who never rove more than 10 miles from Leicester Square. All of this is packaged around adverts for London restaurants, Galliard Homes etc.

LBC will never succeed by being a London station that happens to broadcast nationally, completely alienating anybody outside the capital and the home counties.

I just hope LBC decides what they want the station to be and sticks to it.

Thing is they are at their core supposed to be a London station, that's what they were originally licensed for, and have a stonking great signal across the capital on 97.3, far more people still have FM radio and no DAB in their cars (unfortunately) so even with more of a national focus it's naturally going to remain a mainly London station and its output on air will reflect that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilson500 wrote: »
    The main benefit to me of them becoming a national station was they stopped saying "LBC ninety seven point three" every link. It become very irritating, They'd even say it during the news. "An LBC ninety seven point three reporter spoke to...".

Oh grief yes! That was very irritating! I agree we can be thankful for the fact that they have stopped doing that now!
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in the Manchester area, and listen fairly regularly to LBC. I'm not particularly alienated by its London content and standpoint. The callers seem a pretty diverse bunch, largely articulate with interesting opinions, and there are some pretty decent presenters (Barkes, Hosken, Dale, Lamb).

I agree with this. There was no particular need to change anything. All that listeners outside London wanted was some sort of reliable (DAB) continuity -we now seem to have that.
    I listen to Iain Dale, Ken and David, several others, because it is quality Politics based talk radio. Extending the weather forecast and the travel nationwide was a nice touch. There is no need to change anything else.
  • HertzHertz Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since we got LBC on Digital One on DAB for the very first time in February, I've yet to hear any caller from Northern Ireland on the station. In fact, that goes for Scotland, Wales, and other parts of England as well.

I think it is pretty much still London orientated, whether they think they are leading Britain's conversation or not