Same Sex Ballroom Dancing

white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone have any opinions on this coming into OUR 'Strictly'?? They apparently are cool with this in series Abroad and with great results, performance-wise. Maybe the taller male pro's and the shorter females would benefit from such pairings. From what I've seen good dancers are good dancers/good teachers are good teachers/and in a less 'technical' competition like 'Strictly', it could produce exciting, interesting, and fun fun fun results! The Journey is what counts, plus flamboyance & performance values work well on TV. Bring it ON please!! What's the general view here??

Comments

• wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will look odd and will take some getting used to.........and its hard to imagine a same sex couple being judged superior to a mixed couple of comparable abilities .......there is something aesthetically pleasing about the usual image one imagines when thinking about ballroom dancing couples and 2 men or even 2 women dancing together isn't it and its hard to imagine that changing but who knows......Time.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the most important thing the various recent media discussions about same-sex dancing has completely missed, is that there is already a huge Same-Sex Competition circuit [take a look at Pink Jukebox competitions for UK comp circuit]. Same-Sex competitions also include such as European and World Championships. So there is no idea of banning same-sex couples from competing. These competitions have different events for all-lady couples and all-men couples. As far as I know (and there may well be exceptions) a mixed couple would not be allowed to compete.

There have never been any written rules actually banning same sex-couples from open competitions, mainly because it never happened. But in recent years same-sex couples have been entering, which started rulings being considered.

Medallist competitions usually include all-girl and all-ladies events, for the simple reason there have always been loads more girls & ladies than men dancing at that level.

On the social scene it's a different matter. All-lady couples have always been acceptable, but I have actually 2 guys dancing together asked to leave a social dance because "1 person found the idea offensive!" To me, that is wrong; it's discrimination, but an indication of how feelings still are in UK, and I don't think the beeb will risk upsetting their audience on the issue.
  • Sue_HowarthSue_Howarth Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be an idea to have some same sex pro dance ballroom routines.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    once seen - who could forget this one from Dancing with the Stars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJZqk2eObFk
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same sex dancing is rather in the news at the moment. The British Dance Council is considering a proposal to allow competition organisers the discretion to restrict to mixed sex couples only. I don't agree with this. The arguments around this are rather spurious. Something to do with unfair advantage for all male couples due to extra power. That would imply all female couples are ok. Dancing is about more than power of course (finesse, musicality, etc.) , although ballroom nowadays is more athletic than in the past and so power isn't totally irrelevant The other argument is that same sex couples have their own competitions and so why not allow mixed sex only comps, but this is misleading because the big comps are Blackpool and Bournemouth opens and International championships. Therefore some same sex couples (not all) want to be competing on the main open circuit, whereas mixed sex couples are not interested in competing in the same sex circuit.

Article can be found here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28260949

Some of these arguments would be relevant to Strictly (as I say I don't agree with them) as well as the arguments around "novelty" advantage and the "prejudice" disadvantage.

Aesthetics do come into it. Generally I like to see a contrast between the leader and follower in appearance, and so mode of dress is probably more of an issue for me rather than any problem with the concept of same sex dancing itself. I quite like to see the lady's back in ballroom and her legs in latin (although latin dresses are longer nowadays) and there is the impact of high heels on the dancing, particularly in latin.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The all male Ballroom couple John & Alex, who appeared in Britain's Got Talent, were on BBC Breakfast yesterday, with Natalie Lowe, who complimented them on their high standard, and said she and Ian Waite were unusually tall - he 6ft 4, she 6ft 2 in heels - matching John's 6ft 2, who was the Leader of the partnership. I must say they are a very elegant couple, both physically, tall slim, and looking good in formal tails. But also they danced very well, so automatically looked aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Not so were most of the same sex couples shown in the filmed report, especially the Latin couples.

There was another discussion this morning on BBC featuring John & Alex's dancing again, and their experiences.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04b9r2j/sunday-morning-live-series-5-episode-4
    Andrew Pierce is very funny about Strictly, and I tend to agree with him, it's already a very gay friendly show, but if they did introduce a same sex couple to compete then I would hope they'd give either Ian or Matt a call, and not turn it into an Anton comedy situation with Biggins.

17 years ago when I first saw a full length Ballet featuring mostly male dancers, the famous Bourne Swan Lake, that worked astonishingly well because of the high quality of production it was. Great Theatre, Choreography, Story Telling and Dancing. The White Swan and the tormented Prince's Pas De Deux by the Lake was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, and the Final Act was truly emotional.
  • babyboomer10babyboomer10 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Strictly is BBC's most popular program with by far the highest viewing figures so why would they risk potentially damaging their flagship program, if such a move were to be rejected by the mainstream viewer? (8 - 10 million on average)

Aside from any rights that minority groups may possess regarding equal representation, would same sex dancing not be better trialled as a show in its own right rather than trying to piggy back on someone else's success? Then it can be judged on its own merit and audience reaction fairly measured.

After the novelty of the first couple of shows I predict the viewing figures would be somewhere south of a million, unless there were a bevy of beauties shimmying together down the dancefloor to get the male population interested.

If it really is likely to be popular and capable of standing on its own feet then I am surprised a commercial station hasn't tried it since they live and die by ratings and advertising revenues
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although John & Alex like the idea of dancing in major mixed couple competitions, they are not necessarily among the majority. Most same-sex couples I know, and have spoken to, do not like the idea, and prefer to keep to their own competitions.

It was suggested during one interview that mixed couples are not prevented from taking part in the Same-Sex competitions. This is not necessarily true as the events are invariably for "All-Men" or "All-Lady" events, so a man-woman couple would not qualify.

However, I do know for sure that mixed couples are always made welcome at same-sex social dances, while the opposite is not always true (which is wrong) though same-sex couples are usually made welcome at competitors' practice sessions, where the dancing is of a serious nature.

To be honest, I think this is one great big storm on a very little tea-cup. On the whole there are relatively few same-sex couples wanting to compete in mixed-couple competitions, and amongst those are some who just like to rock the boats. I'm almost certain nothing would have been mentioned in the media if it wasn't for Strictly.
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    To be honest, I think this is one great big storm on a very little tea-cup. On the whole there are relatively few same-sex couples wanting to compete in mixed-couple competitions, and amongst those are some who just like to rock the boats. I'm almost certain nothing would have been mentioned in the media if it wasn't for Strictly.

LOL. Yes, I think that is true!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would not happen on Strictly.
    It would require "a deliberate pairing."
    Although it does happen each year, it doesn't appear obvious to most of the public.
    They won't mess with their best rated show.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all on the feedback. I just wondered if most here felt it'd be A Gimmick or if, say, in the course of pairings, it might be an interesting/fun/or even one-per-season apt choice. As 'Strictly' isn't as bound by Ballroom Rules, and the USA version-of-all-things includes it, jut wondered if it'd boost/slash/or have no effect on Strictly audiences who mostly seem to love Achievement, great routines, personal flair, pro charisma, and just plain fun from the pairings. Ta to all xxx
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posture, the choreography of the dance and the 'roles' in the dance for want of a better word have all been developed with male and female partners.
    For that reason, its going to require a shift away from what the dance is supposed to look like.

The way the show has gone, there is less and less attention paid to dancing the dance as it is supposed to be, so having a same sex couple dancing would not be a big leap in that respect.
    My guess would be that it would be difficult to have a same sex couple or couples on the show successfully (in terms of the viewers liking it) two years in a row because you have the novelty factor the first year. Have any other SCD's abroad had same sex couples in more than one series?

In the same sex competitions, is there a different look and style to the dances?
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gay and I'm not even into this, the dynamic of a man and a woman and as mentioned the different elements of the dance work well together, I don't think a same-sex couple would work in the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Posture, the choreography of the dance and the 'roles' in the dance for want of a better word have all been developed with male and female partners.
    For that reason, its going to require a shift away from what the dance is supposed to look like.

The way the show has gone, there is less and less attention paid to dancing the dance as it is supposed to be, so having a same sex couple dancing would not be a big leap in that respect.
    My guess would be that it would be difficult to have a same sex couple or couples on the show successfully (in terms of the viewers liking it) two years in a row because you have the novelty factor the first year. Have any other SCD's abroad had same sex couples in more than one series?

]In the same sex competitions, is there a different look and style to the dances?

The way the competitions are run is different to how mixed-couples comps are run, in that they progress 'up the ladder' differently, and in the events at the top of the ladder it is possible to see professional and amateur dancers dancing against each other, which would never happen in mixed-couples events.

But otherwise the style and technique is very authentic and I have to say some of the dancing is brilliant. Watching 2 guys dance a Viennese Waltz; Guy A leading, guy B following - then you look again and they have changed places, but who saw them switch? It's very clever.

While admiring their technique there are still a lot of people who don't like the look of 2 men dancing together; in much the same way as, never mind how socially acceptable it is, 2 ladies do not look right dancing together. As you quite rightly say the dances have been devised for a male-female partnership, & this is a view shared by a lot of gay dancers, who prefer to dance in mixed-couple comps.

Having said that, I fully endorse the right of same-sex couples to dance together, but some things cannot be mixed. Imagine if a same-sex tennis couple wanted to take part in the mixed-doubles at Wimbledon. They would be told they had to go in the all-men doubles or all-ladies doubles ....... the same applies to dance competitions.

le
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way the competitions are run is different to how mixed-couples comps are run, in that they progress 'up the ladder' differently, and in the events at the top of the ladder it is possible to see professional and amateur dancers dancing against each other, which would never happen in mixed-couples events.

But otherwise the style and technique is very authentic and I have to say some of the dancing is brilliant. Watching 2 guys dance a Viennese Waltz; Guy A leading, guy B following - then you look again and they have changed places, but who saw them switch? It's very clever.

While admiring their technique there are still a lot of people who don't like the look of 2 men dancing together; in much the same way as, never mind how socially acceptable it is, 2 ladies do not look right dancing together. As you quite rightly say the dances have been devised for a male-female partnership, & this is a view shared by a lot of gay dancers, who prefer to dance in mixed-couple comps.

Having said that, I fully endorse the right of same-sex couples to dance together, but some things cannot be mixed. Imagine if a same-sex tennis couple wanted to take part in the mixed-doubles at Wimbledon. They would be told they had to go in the all-men doubles or all-ladies doubles ....... the same applies to dance competitions.

le

Thanks for that info kaycee.

I think it works quite well for gay dancers to dance in mixed partnerships - eg. Aliona and Matthew were one of my favourite pairings ever and produced some dances I have very fond memories of. Good chemistry between them too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM2uPeHiCCg
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be fine if all the different combinations were of equal standing - but they aren't and there is clearly an attempt to exclude same sex couples from lucrative 'mainstream' dancing competitions when they have not been excluded thus far. This is clearly discriminatory no matter how it's dressed up by those who are pretend that it isn't. Removing a right to compete and dishing out second class status in its place is hardly promoting equality! It will certainly be challenged legally if it goes ahead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gay and I'm not even into this, the dynamic of a man and a woman and as mentioned the different elements of the dance work well together, I don't think a same-sex couple would work in the same way.

I agree. If I was famous enough to do strictly I would want a female partner. It's about the whole overall costume and opposite roles of me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully endorse the right of same-sex couples to dance together, but some things cannot be mixed. Imagine if a same-sex tennis couple wanted to take part in the mixed-doubles at Wimbledon. They would be told they had to go in the all-men doubles or all-ladies doubles ....... the same applies to dance competitions.

I always enjoy your posts, kaycee, but I'm not sure this is a valid comparison - especially if, as Spin turn says, the issue of extra power in male same-sex couples isn't really as a big a deal as the BDC are trying to make out. The difference between male and female tennis players is all about their respective levels of power. Even the biggest hitters in the women's game can't cope with the levels of power generated by men - Serena Williams, the biggest of all female hitters, has explicitly said she can't stand up to the power generated by the men.

So physical power would be an obvious reason to ban(at least male) same-sex couples from the mixed doubles - but it's not obviously true that the same holds for ballroom dancing. I think the BDC has shot itself in the foot by trying to claim that it is. Personally, I think the argument that others have raised regarding the style of the dance is the best reason to segregate in formal competition - not that same-sex dancing invalidates classical style, but that it invariably leads to variations which mixed-sex couples can't achieve and therefore makes comparison difficult.

On Strictly I don't know that customising a dance to suit a same-sex couple would be any different to, say, adding stylistic elements to mask the limitations of a wildly overweight celebrity. I'd be all for seeing it as a bit of a novelty in every series, but it'd depend on the willingness of the pro dancers more than anything.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main argument in favour of same-sex dancing in Strictly is equality in terms of sexual orientation.

Hey but in dancing the male and female are playing roles - they are not usually in a sexual or even romantic relationship. And there have been a number of gay males participating. I am not sure if any of the females - pros or celebs - have been lesbians.

But a lesbian dancing with a gay or straight male has (in general) the same sexual / romantic relationship as any other female would.

Dancing isn't a question of sexual or romantic orientation as we are well aware from the gays that have performed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be fine if all the different combinations were of equal standing - but they aren't and there is clearly an attempt to exclude same sex couples from lucrative 'mainstream' dancing competitions when they have not been excluded thus far. This is clearly discriminatory no matter how it's dressed up by those who are pretend that it isn't. Removing a right to compete and dishing out second class status in its place is hardly promoting equality! It will certainly be challenged legally if it goes ahead.[/QUOTE]

There is no suggestion of removing anyone's right to compete, simply that there are different events for different couples. For example, in the amateur ranks, if you had a guy aged (say) 39 with a partner who was only 25, they would not be allowed to dance in the senior ranks which is for over 35s only (other age groups apply!) This may be a disadvantage for the 39 yr old guy, but the rules are set make a fair as possible playing field for the majority.

This includes same-sex couples. At the moment there is no rule banning them from entering any competition, and the fact is there are very very few who do. If rules are introduced, it will affect a mere handful of couples.

As I said before the media is making a mountain out of a mole hill. No-one is suggesting dishing out "second class status". Same-sex competitions have comps worldwide, including World and European championships, and also the Olympics.

Out of interest, It was suggested a while ago that there events for same-sex couples should be included in all competitions. Who were the ones who objected to this? Why, the same-sex couples who are more than happy with their own competitions as they are!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main argument in favour of same-sex dancing in Strictly is equality in terms of sexual orientation.

Hey but in dancing the male and female are playing roles - they are not usually in a sexual or even romantic relationship. And there have been a number of gay males participating. I am not sure if any of the females - pros or celebs - have been lesbians.

But a lesbian dancing with a gay or straight male has (in general) the same sexual / romantic relationship as any other female would.

Dancing isn't a question of sexual or romantic orientation as we are well aware from the gays that have performed.

Whether a dancer is straight or gay is of no consequence; the description is male-female. there are a lot of gay male Latin dancers partnered by straight females; less gay ballroom guys, but there are some, again with straight female dance partners. There are also a fair few Lesbians dancing with straight guys - in fact a couple of the most feminine beautiful lady dancers are lesbian - so never try and work out who is who!!!

You are right that it isn't a question of sexual or romantic orientation - it all about acting the role, just like actors have to do on stage etc..
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to see Aliona and the girl from Blue Peter. Aliona can wear the moustache and braces.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Blades of glory, tonight at 10pm on BBC3.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be fine if all the different combinations were of equal standing - but they aren't and there is clearly an attempt to exclude same sex couples from lucrative 'mainstream' dancing competitions when they have not been excluded thus far. This is clearly discriminatory no matter how it's dressed up by those who are pretend that it isn't. Removing a right to compete and dishing out second class status in its place is hardly promoting equality! It will certainly be challenged legally if it goes ahead.[/QUOTE]

There is no suggestion of removing anyone's right to compete, simply that there are different events for different couples. For example, in the amateur ranks, if you had a guy aged (say) 39 with a partner who was only 25, they would not be allowed to dance in the senior ranks which is for over 35s only (other age groups apply!) This may be a disadvantage for the 39 yr old guy, but the rules are set make a fair as possible playing field for the majority.

This includes same-sex couples. At the moment there is no rule banning them from entering any competition, and the fact is there are very very few who do. If rules are introduced, it will affect a mere handful of couples.

As I said before the media is making a mountain out of a mole hill. No-one is suggesting dishing out "second class status". Same-sex competitions have comps worldwide, including World and European championships, and also the Olympics.

Out of interest, It was suggested a while ago that there events for same-sex couples should be included in all competitions. Who were the ones who objected to this? Why,
    the same-sex couples who are more than happy with their own competitions as they are!

If same sex couples are banned from the main events (the ones with the most kudos) having not been so before then that is clearly discrimination and against the law.

Supporters of the ban can dissimulate all they want but it won't deflect from what is really occurring here. Fair minded people can see the wood for the trees.

I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with a link to 'evidence' that demonstrates that it is same sex couples who are calling for a ban.

People used to say the same thing about non-whites 'being happy with their own competitions', too.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose :D
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio London 94.9 discussed this last night 10-11pm in their Arts Review hour. The Film critic ( a gay man) said he wanted to see a same sex couple dancing on Strictly this year.