Options

CS Michelle, Carla, Rob and Tracey........the Not a lot of Love Square

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I will be completely up front first and foremost, I am not a Carla fan and never have been, however the recent story line with Rob (egged on by Toxic) stealing from the factory and more importantly from his sister, who has really helped him, really showed a lot more of Carla's back story and made her character a bit more understandable, for me anyway.

I know these are all fictional characters etc, so this is the story line and the characters I am commenting on but the way Michelle (the clipboard witch) is being written at the moment is not doing her character any favours at all. IMHO.

You could feel Carla's pain as it dawned on her that Rob was stealing from her so what did her do called friend Michelle do? Well in the guise of "supporting" her friend Carla, I think she actually did more to isolate her from Rob, Carla's only family than Rob himself did.

OK, Rob is a thieving git, we all know that, he's done time for it, Carla knows it and Michelle knows it. In fact when Rob first showed his face Michelle was all over him despite Carla's initial reticence.

Since Carla and Rob grew closer I think Michelle got jealous of Rob's position as a shareholder in the factory and did nothing but stir it up between Rob and Carla when he came back from the bookies. Michelle made it clear that he wasn't needed or wanted, she had taken over all the contacts he had made and was dripping poison in Carla's ear all the time, not only isolating Rob but driving a wedge between him and Carla, thereby isolating Carla from her only family.

I am not saying that Michelle drove Rob into nicking the silk he managed that all on his own but when it was starting to look suspicious and she could see Carla's pain as we all could a true friend, especially one ho knows the background would want to save her friend from pain instead of letting the set up go ahead. It felt to me like Michelle was positively delighting in it, perhaps knowing that the real beneficiary was herself and her position in the factory when she could have taken Rob on one side, said she knew he had nicked the silk, that Carla suspected and to fess up or somehow make it right and damn well appreciate what his sister has done for him.

Michelle could have been a true friend and saved Carla a great deal of pain and anguish but instead she acted like the selfish cow that she is and secured her own position at e factory and let her friend go through hell and lose her brother in the process. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a bit of the green eyed monster about Michelle and her relationship with Carla. Perhaps because the factory used to belong her brothers, Michelle feels it should b her with the shares and not Rob.

Just an opinion.

Comments

• Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggi wrote: »
    I will be completely up front first and foremost, I am not a Carla fan and never have been, however the recent story line with Rob (egged on by Toxic) stealing from the factory and more importantly from his sister, who has really helped him, really showed a lot more of Carla's back story and made her character a bit more understandable, for me anyway.

I know these are all fictional characters etc, so this is the story line and the characters I am commenting on but the way Michelle (the clipboard witch) is being written at the moment is not doing her character any favours at all. IMHO.

You could feel Carla's pain as it dawned on her that Rob was stealing from her so what did her do called friend Michelle do? Well in the guise of "supporting" her friend Carla, I think she actually did more to isolate her from Rob, Carla's only family than Rob himself did.

OK, Rob is a thieving git, we all know that, he's done time for it, Carla knows it and Michelle knows it. In fact when Rob first showed his face Michelle was all over him despite Carla's initial reticence.

Since Carla and Rob grew closer I think Michelle got jealous of Rob's position as a shareholder in the factory and did nothing but stir it up between Rob and Carla when he came back from the bookies. Michelle made it clear that he wasn't needed or wanted, she had taken over all the contacts he had made and was dripping poison in Carla's ear all the time, not only isolating Rob but driving a wedge between him and Carla, thereby isolating Carla from her only family.

I am not saying that Michelle drove Rob into nicking the silk he managed that all on his own but when it was starting to look suspicious and she could see Carla's pain as we all could a true friend, especially one ho knows the background would want to save her friend from pain instead of letting the set up go ahead. It felt to me like Michelle was positively delighting in it, perhaps knowing that the real beneficiary was herself and her position in the factory when she could have taken Rob on one side, said she knew he had nicked the silk, that Carla suspected and to fess up or somehow make it right and damn well appreciate what his sister has done for him.

Michelle could have been a true friend and saved Carla a great deal of pain and anguish but instead she acted like the selfish cow that she is and secured her own position at e factory and let her friend go through hell and lose her brother in the process. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a bit of the green eyed monster about Michelle and her relationship with Carla. Perhaps because the factory used to belong her brothers, Michelle feels it should b her with the shares and not Rob.

Just an opinion.

Hi Tiggi, I think you've really got a hold of something here. I have been noticing for a long long time now how Michelle seems to love to act like Carla's attack hound, she's so gleeful when she can have a go at someone. or anyone. (including the factory workers no less, who are supplying the cow's living), showing her domination over Carla in a way, as she knows implicitly that Carla will never admonish her or ever put her in her place for being unkind or spiteful. But now I can see there is a lot more to this than first meets the eye, she is protecting her own interests in the factory, she's cozy already but wants to be cozier still.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is definitely got a touch of the green eyed monster about her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say so too:D It seems like something larger than the obvious material matters to me also. I can't believe how she seemed to revel in Rob's attention when he first put in his appearance and yet when she got the opportunity, she watched him shoot himself in the foot re the factory like a glinty eyed cobra. She definitely wanted to blitz him from her friend/girlfriends existance. But why?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's obvious that Moochelle is going all out to make Carla more and more dependant on her. It's some kind of power trip.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's acting like this in a cold blooded, I-want-all-the-power kind of way, but it's an undeniable fact that since she started working at the factory she's gone up a few places in the pecking order. From backstreet barmaid to, at one point, part running the company, and I guess anyone would quite enjoy that and wouldn't want to give it up in a hurry.

I think also it's got a lot to do with the fact that now that her brothers are gone, Carla is kind of closest she has to be a sibling, as well her best friend, and so with Rob there I think she genuinely felt threatened, hence why she admittedly did seem to revel in Carla cutting Rob out of her life.

We're constantly told how close Michelle and Carla supposedly are, and how supportive Michelle is of Carla, so like the OP said, you'd have thought she might have toned down the whole "I can't wait to see their faces" thing when it was quite clearly killing Carla to do it. Especially given that it was only a few months ago Michelle was defending Rob herself when he tried to undersell Underworld at Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are inadvertently giving Michelle too much credit. She was not that important to the story. For now she's just Carla's best mate but who knows, maybe they will bring jealousy into it in the future.
    Holz_ wrote: »
    We're constantly told how close Michelle and Carla supposedly are, and how supportive Michelle is of Carla, so like the OP said, you'd have thought she might have toned down the whole "I can't wait to see their faces" thing when it was quite clearly killing Carla to do it.

She did tone it down though. When she could see how gutted Carla was, Michelle tried to defend Rob. She reminded Carla of how Tracyluv manipulated her son.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying Michelle is playing some kind of game or that she doesn't really care about Carla or anything like that, but I do think Michelle felt threatened by Rob where Carla and Underworld were concerned, evident in her reaction to Rob briefly being back in the office, and that whilst of course her main concern is with Carla, Rob doing what he did kind of worked in her favour on that score. Not saying Michelle is glad to see Carla so upset, but maybe she's not exactly mourning the loss of Rob as a colleague.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying Michelle is playing some kind of game or that she doesn't really care about Carla or anything like that, but I do think Michelle felt threatened by Rob where Carla and Underworld were concerned, evident in her reaction to Rob briefly being back in the office, and that whilst of course her main concern is with Carla, Rob doing what he did kind of worked in her favour on that score. Not saying Michelle is glad to see Carla so upset, but maybe she's not exactly mourning the loss of Rob as a colleague.

Fair point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Michelle and Rob were destined to have an affair by now, all the sly glances and gentle ribbing that went on for a while when Rob showed up. She knew he was a rascal and I thought it tickled her that he was and then so suddenly she decides to get uppity at treat him as though he's jack the ripper. It doesn't make sense unless, she had a reason for wanting him gone and out of her hair.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob did try it on that time with Michelle when they went to the hotel and Steve and Eva got suspicious. Comedy gold when Steve was knocking on the door shouting for Michelle and she opened the door behind him for Steve to do a double take!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's acting like this in a cold blooded, I-want-all-the-power kind of way, but it's an undeniable fact that since she started working at the factory she's gone up a few places in the pecking order. From backstreet barmaid to, at one point, part running the company, and I guess anyone would quite enjoy that and wouldn't want to give it up in a hurry.

I think also it's got a lot to do with the fact that now that her brothers are gone, Carla is kind of closest she has to be a sibling, as well her best friend, and so with Rob there I think she genuinely felt threatened, hence why she admittedly did seem to revel in Carla cutting Rob out of her life.

We're constantly told how close Michelle and Carla supposedly are, and how supportive Michelle is of Carla, so like the OP said, you'd have thought she might have toned down the whole "I can't wait to see their faces" thing when it was quite clearly killing Carla to do it. Especially given that it was only a few months ago Michelle was defending Rob herself when he tried to undersell Underworld at Christmas.

You make some good points there Holz.

It just all stuck me as a bit strange. I have said before that I am not a Carla fan in any way but I did feel for her when Rob betrayed her with the silk theft and Michelle just seemed to revel in it despite the obvious pain she could see etched on Carla's face.

You are right, Michelle has gone up quite a few notches since she went to work a the factory, se can be a right bossy mare to the girls, far more than Carla ever is and yet it's her factory.

Michelle seemed to be encouraging Carla to call the police to report her own brother, knowng that would put him back inside, I just thought it was OTT as any idiot could see that was the last thing Carla wanted. I bet Michelle would never have done that had it been Paul or Liam, her own brothers, she's a hypocrite. She was in a position to sort this out but chose not to, knowing how much pain this was causing Carla.

Michelle deliberately made Rob feel like a spare part and a pairiah when he returned frim the bookies and revelled in the silk theft just a bit too much.

Maria was a much better friend but they hardly seem to interact any more, which is a shame as they shared so much over the Frank Foster stuff. Maria really stood by Cala on that.

In all honesty, Michelle isn't a true friend to Carla, not after this.
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I like Michelle when she's with Carla in the factory, I think the character has really sprung back into life with the reunion of her and Steve and Ryan's return.