Options

In the Club, a new drama for the BBC by Kay Mellor

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    How come the lad that drove them to the hospital, got right up to and into the Maternity Unit before seeing anyone to ask for help? ...There are always lots of staff around hospital entrances.....and surely a trolley would have been used not a wheelchair.....laughable farce and a load of tripe ...
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barb_Ward wrote: »
    How come the lad that drove them to the hospital, got right up to and into the Maternity Unit before seeing anyone to ask for help? ...There are always lots of staff around hospital entrances.....and surely a trolley would have been used not a wheelchair.....laughable farce and a load of tripe ...

I was just about to post that!

They sent him in to get some help as quickly as possible, yet somehow he managed to bypass reception entirely, find the signs for Maternity, find the lifts, wait for a lift, go up in a lift, and then get into Maternity through the locked doors that everyone else had to bang on to get someone to let them through,

Then just one nurse saunters down with a wheelchair, and when the one baby had arrived but they had concerns over the second, she sauntered just as slowly back with mum on her knees on the chair, calmly giving them all a biology lesson!

The only time when we were led to believe that there was an sort of urgency was when the Infant (?) Crash Team was called, but then they decided to come through the doors in slow-motion, flicking their hair back in a Baywatch style as they did so! :D
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it myself. I love jas's husband, and I find it quite entertaining, sad and funny. Looking forward to the next episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick note from me,

I'm a 37 year old male who lives on the boarder of North & West Yorkshire.
    I would not have given this the time of day, fortunately I'd heard it was filmed in Leeds and as I live not too far away and work in the city, I thought I'd give it a whirl to see If there was anywhere I recognised.

Glad I did, yes it is predictable, but it's quite punchy in places and the fact it is not an overly deep drama has kept me watching it beyond the first episode.

Oh, and there was loads of places I've recognised, most of which have actually tallied with the real place names they've used in the show. Nice shot of Beeston Traffic lights during the police chase last night. Would love to know when they record these things, as although daylight, the traffic appears really light. (yes, I know they may have a temporary road closure for this type of police filming, but I've driven on roads and by freak chance seen myself on a program in the past which have been filmed in and around Leeds ).
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was the midwife....who seems to be everywhere doing every job on the maternity ward giving Jill halfpennys character the shot of anesthetic, surely that is the anesthetists job!
    And every time I look at the two midwives I can't help thinking about their characters in Early Doors! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Barb_Ward wrote: »

I was watching with the mrs and we both said that, no one on a&e entrance and no ambulances outside unheard of and who drives into a multi storey to get away from the police? apart from that we loved it and looking forward to the 3rd ep.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L_A wrote: »
    Hermione's character is just like Karen when drunk in Cold Feet - screechy and bossy!

She was brilliant in that too!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai_Jones wrote: »
    who drives into a multi storey to get away from the police?.

We said that as well! Although to be fair, I have done this in the past, but only when playing Grand Theft Auto! :D If you get it right and hit a ramp on the top floor at speed, then you can leap off, and even if you crash, you might be lucky enough not to get killed! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    kate36 wrote: »
    She was brilliant in that too!!:D
    I agree, loved Cold Feet!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    We said that as well! Although to be fair, I have done this in the past, but only when playing Grand Theft Auto! :D If you get it right and hit a ramp on the top floor at speed, then you can leap off, and even if you crash, you might be lucky enough not to get killed! ;)

lol dont that too mate, dont try it with the dodge though it burns out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Hiya,

I am enjoying this series...only character that annoys me is the midwife with the glasses (none pregnant one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    And every time I look at the two midwives I can't help thinking about their characters in Early Doors! :D

We never saw Early Doors, but had similar feelings about one of them, Lorraine Cheshire, as we could only see her as one of the Customer Service operatives on Trollied! We kept expecting her to go on the tannoy and announce

"Today's special offer for visitors to Maternity is a buy one, get one free on babies, Deliver one in a car and get the chance to have the other by C-Section"

:D
    flos wrote: »
    I am enjoying this series...only character that annoys me is the midwife with the glasses (none pregnant one).

I think this is the aforementioned Lorraine Cheshire - she does nod sagely a lot doesn't she! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai_Jones wrote: »
    lol dont that too mate, dont try it with the dodge though it burns out.

LOL! It's been a while, but sounds like I need to dig out the games! :D
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Hiya,

Joan from Early Doors!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Typical Mellors trash but easy on the brain.Hermione's charcter was just rude and too bloody perfect to like.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I was just about to post that!

They sent him in to get some help as quickly as possible, yet somehow he managed to bypass reception entirely, find the signs for Maternity, find the lifts, wait for a lift, go up in a lift, and then get into Maternity through the locked doors that everyone else had to bang on to get someone to let them through,

Then just one nurse saunters down with a wheelchair, and when the one baby had arrived but they had concerns over the second, she sauntered just as slowly back with mum on her knees on the chair, calmly giving them all a biology lesson!

The only time when we were led to believe that there was an sort of urgency was when the Infant (?) Crash Team was called, but then they decided to come through the doors in slow-motion, flicking their hair back in a Baywatch style as they did so! :D

:o I got this show all wrong. It's not a drama it's a full blown comedy :D:D

I may keep watching it :blush:
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I barely knew the other mums at ante-natal class and was only really on nodding terms with one of them. We took a look at each other's babies and cooed over them and that was it, and that was only because we delivered within days of each other and both just happened to be in hospital at the same time. I didn't go to ante-natal classes when I was expecting subsequent babies and never knew of anyone that did, so everyone in my class was in a similar situation to me - just mums expecting their first babies and too scared or caught up in the whole thing to be bothered much by what anyone else was doing. I could understand two mums meeting at an ante-natal class and forging a friendship just like you could anywhere else, but the entire group bonding to the point where they know all about each other and their families?

Maybe my experience is unusual and it really is common for pockets of The Sisterhood to form while watching a plastic baby being delivered through a plastic pelvis, but it seems so unlikely to me that I'd already suspended belief before it started. Which is just as well :)

I really, really felt for the father of the twins as his kids reeled off an order in the Pizza place that he knew he couldn't pay for. I've been there, and that scene felt so much like being there all over again that I fully expected his response to have been something like mine would have been - 'That's not what we agreed. I've left my purse/wallet at home and have only got a couple of quid on me'. To say that it suddenly seemed extreme when he decided to respond by robbing the bank would be the understatement of the year :)

What really struck me as unrealistic last night was Katherine Parkinson's character's decision to go letting herself in uninvited, heavily pregnant and alone, into a stranger's flat, knowing that there was a very real possibility she might wake up a sleeping trucker that she'd never met and have to tell him that not only had he failed to notice his fifteen year-old daughter was up the duff, she'd given birth the night before. What was she planning to tell him if she did bump into him? 'Hi, you're a grandad. And get your hands off my throat, I'm only the messenger.'?!
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :o I got this show all wrong. It's not a drama it's a full blown comedy :D:D

I may keep watching it :blush:

Same here!!! Apart from the drama re the second "poorly" twin the rest of the programme is a total farce !! I've seen better but it is entertaining!!:blush::D
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this series so far. Easy viewing, moves fast with good characters. Funny but with some sadness too. Look forward to next week's episode.
  • Options
    tartan-belletartan-belle Posts: 14,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hiya,

Me too - she reminds me of Alan Carr - think it's the glasses...

and Will Mellor - possibly Hollyoaks' most prolific actor after leaving the soap? He seems to have been in loads of things the past few years!

I'm finding the programme quite good - suspending belief at some points though!!
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hermione Norris is hilarious!
  • Options
    ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that Sambuca (Holly Kenny) from Waterloo Road in one of the hospital ward scenes?

Edit - yeah, defiantly think that's her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just switched on and thought I'd give it another go this week. Doesn't look like I've missed much.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Joan from Early Doors!

Those were the days :)
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was that Sambuca (Holly Kenny) from Waterloo Road in one of the hospital ward scenes?

Edit - yeah, defiantly think that's her.

Yeh it's her :) It's good to see her in another role.