Rihanna - American Oxygen (new song)

2»

Comments

• IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    FourFiveSeconds is a hit whether you like it or not. Not a massive one but it is a hit. Like I said I'm not worried. She's hardly going to get dropped is she? Talk about an overreaction. What defines a hit in your world?

This is Rihanna we're talking about.

This was meant to be her huge comeback and she's kinda flopped. Everyone was expecting Diamonds like success and she hasn't had that. FFS didn't reach number 1 like all her fans said it would. BBHMM then completely bombed and they moved straight on to American Oxygen which was a complete disappointment despite sounding absolutely brilliant on the snippet in the advert.

She's literally come back and people don't seem to care at all - it's a complete flop so far. All this tidal exclusive nonsense has ruined it for her.

Who mentioned anything about her getting dropped? I just find it absolutely hilarious how for the last year we've all been told by Rihanna fans across various sites how her comeback would be huge and she would show the likes of Gaga and Katy how it's done - yet so far she's done naff all and there is minimal hype around the album.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen any Rihanna fans saying that on here at all. I don't care who we're talking about. You can't change what defines a hit just because of the artist. It's a modest hit for her yes but compared to BBHMM it's massive so the idea it's sold just because of her name doesn't hold true. I think the single choices are strange personally but she's doing what she wants to do. It's not make or break for her and she can afford to take risks at this stage of her career. I don't see the issue.

Just to add I like all the tracks she's released so far and the Home soundtrack ones so I'm happy. But I also loved the apparent rubbish that was Unapologetic so maybe I'm just weird. None of Rihanna's music has ever disappointed me personally.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    She's onto single number 3 and still no hit.

Oh dear.

Four five seconds (much as I dislike it) is still 13 on iTunes after all this time and is very much a hit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    Four five seconds (much as I dislike it) is still 13 on iTunes after all this time and is very much a hit

Exactly and it's been out for 3 months now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    This is Rihanna we're talking about.

This was meant to be her huge comeback and she's kinda flopped. Everyone was expecting Diamonds like success and she hasn't had that. FFS didn't reach number 1 like all her fans said it would. BBHMM then completely bombed and they moved straight on to American Oxygen which was a complete disappointment despite sounding absolutely brilliant on the snippet in the advert.

She's literally come back and people don't seem to care at all - it's a complete flop so far. All this tidal exclusive nonsense has ruined it for her.

Who mentioned anything about her getting dropped? I just find it absolutely hilarious how for the last year we've all been told by Rihanna fans across various sites how her comeback would be huge and she would show the likes of Gaga and Katy how it's done - yet so far she's done naff all and there is minimal hype around the album.

FFS did go no. 1 just after it was released.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FourfIveSeconds has been quite the hit, maybe not a #1 but it's been kicking about the top 10 in the UK and the US both for 11 weeks now.

As for American Oxygen; I think it's meant to be a satire as much as patriotic. Or a criticism of America. The video certainly shows it to be a nation of great contradictions, I think. Actually quite powerful, especially coming from someone like Rihanna who you normally know for being quite...less serious.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say the hype seems very underwhelming for Rihanna. But even she doesn't seem that bothered either, I haven't seen her talk much about the album or promote it much, or even give a release date for fans to get excited about.

FourFiveSeconds was a decent sized hit for sure but I feel like it's a song that should have been released as the 2nd single, after a really instant and catchy lead single.
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Heard American Oxygen for the first time this morning and I thought "hmmm.... better". Although I kept waiting for it to turn into something bigger and it just never did. Still, credit where its due, it's the best song from her new album so far.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    Rihanna has never really had an album bomb has she? First time for everything i guess.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Rihanna has never really had an album bomb has she? First time for everything i guess.

Her début album was a flop. But so many women are underperforming at the moment.

Madonna and Kelly Clarkson have both underperformed with their recent albums
    While Mariah, Gaga and Britney's last albums were low sellers as well.

Only Beyoncé and Taylor Swift stay consistent album sellers for this time being.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    The 3rd flop from the album. My god. Has fallen to 51 on US iTunes. That's horrendous for Rihanna.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I think she's hit that point like other artists where they feel they're too "big" to make a certain type of commercial music anymore. Same happened with Beyonce.

I love FourFiveSeconds but BBHMM was horrible and American Oxygen sounds like it could have been good but the production is too messy.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think this will probably be her most interesting album actually. all 3 singles seem to work really well together, I'm interested to hear them with the rest of the album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only Beyoncé and Taylor Swift stay consistent album sellers for this time being.

The thing is Beyoncé is most definitely an album artist. She's had so many flop singles. Rihanna has managed to sell singles and albums (less than Beyonce but still significant numbers) up until now.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i think this will probably be her most interesting album actually. all 3 singles seem to work really well together, I'm interested to hear them with the rest of the album.

Me too. I said it before but I think Rihanna is in her most creative period right now. Its funny because when this happens to an artist the album does always tend to 'flop' by their usual standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. I said it before but I think Rihanna is in her most creative period right now. Its funny because when this happens to an artist the album does always tend to 'flop' by their usual standards.

I agree. They only flop because the artists are not giving the public what they want. As an artist, you should be doing music you want to do. Not what others want you to do.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be the album where we see if Rihanna actually has a decent fabase who actually LIKE Rihanna, and like the music she makes just because it's her, rather than a large group of people who have liked a lot of her previous songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may be the album where we see if Rihanna actually has a decent fabase who actually LIKE Rihanna, and like the music she makes just because it's her, rather than a large group of people who have liked a lot of her previous songs.

You've got a point. I don't think it's helped that we've had to wait so long for the album. She was right to take a break but I'd have hoped the album would've been out by now. She's released three singles now but we still have no idea what the album is called or when it will be released. It's all a bit messy for my liking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waiting for the album doesn't bother me at all. I am patient and have been for two or so years. People moan when she releases an album every year, but then people moan she has taken to long to do a follow. The woman can't win.

I also don't think it is messy. She is allowing us to get a feel for the album by releasing multiple singles. Something Taylor Swift has done for all of her album campaigns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waiting for the album doesn't bother me at all. I am patient and have been for two or so years. People moan when she releases an album every year, but then people moan she has taken to long to do a follow. The woman can't win.

I also don't think it is messy. She is allowing us to get a feel for the album by releasing multiple singles. Something Taylor Swift has done for all of her album campaigns.

I'm just too excited and want it now :D.

Latest quote from Rihanna: The album will be "soulful and aggressive, whether it's lyrically, musically or just the tone of my voice".

Sounds good to me and matches what we've heard so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest new music from R8 is an interlude track:

James Joint: http://www.rihannanow.com/news/james-joint/

Also an unreleased track with Chris Brown has leaked:
    Put It Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKbKzypA5hc
    Love that. It was apparently supposed to be on Chris Brown's last album but Rihanna pulled the plug. Shame as it sounds great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I can't stand on albums are Interludes. Janet Jackson was criminal in doing this.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I can't stand on albums are Interludes. Janet Jackson was criminal in doing this.

Agree but Christina does have some brilliant ones imo