Options

Speed limit on motorways going up to 80.

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    but with a limit of 80mph I wonder if people might think that 90mph or more is now acceptable.

My first thoughts too. This is one of the most cretinous ideas the government has come up with.

People now do 85mph with a 70mph limit. So with an 80mph limit people will do 95+mph.

Utter stupidity.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this will open up the door for the Government to introduce 20mph speed limits in villages, schools and around built up areas. Cars have got saver since 1965 when the 70mph limit was introduced. As I said. Highways agency with new technology on the roads are slowing down traffic during peak times and in bad weather. If your a proffessional driver like myself, you should be able to control yourself on these roads. Awareness is one of the big advantages these days. The problem is we do see lots of idtiots on the roads these days, but they don't care and always want to be ahead of everyone else.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    bomb #21 wrote: »
    Wow. You're, like, more cynical than even me. :eek:

Be fair. I thought the cynicism in my "shit-sandwich" metaphor was implicit too.
    My first thoughts too. This is one of the most cretinous ideas the government has come up with.

People now do 85mph with a 70mph limit. So with an 80mph limit people will do 95+mph.

Utter stupidity.

Indeed.

I must admit, I always thought the idea of leaving the limit at 70mph was cos it was reasonable and that the cops knew they could afford to give people a bit of leeway without anybody going nuts.
    It seems to work fine as it is.

If they up the limit AND police it more strictly there'll be no useful improvement and people will get all upset cos they'll feel like the police are victimising them more than they did previously.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Utter stupidity.

No statutory speed limit on much of the German autobahns, only an advisory top speed of 81mph. They manage OK.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Utter stupidity.

I don't know why this theory is so widely spouted and believed. People now do 85mph because that is a reasonably safe speed to travel and the 70 limit is out of date.

Raising the speed limit to 80 is academic as people will continue to drive at what is a reasonable, and safe 80-85mph.

Anyone who drives at 80-85 now will not somehow, automatically increase their speed because the limit has gone up?? Why do some people think they would do this?

Then there's the ones who currently drive at 90 or 100+. They will continue to do so.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    No statutory speed limit on much of the German autobahns, only an advisory top speed of 81mph. They manage OK.

I'm not so sure. Germany traditionally has a high car accident rate.

Whatever speed you drive, the faster you go, the lower the reaction time. Speed is a factor in many accidents, whether one likes it or not.

So, as for raising the speed limit on motorways to 80 mph, I think you'll just get more git drivers and boy racers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I always thought the idea of leaving the limit at 70mph was cos it was reasonable and that the cops knew they could afford to give people a bit of leeway without anybody going nuts.

I don't think so, as a newly passed young driver who regularly uses the motorways I never really exceed 70 even though I wish to sometimes. This is because I've been targeted by the police for being a young driver even if I'm doing nothing wrong. If older more experienced drivers get some motorway leeway, they'll go and target me instead. I'd like it at 80, those with smaller cars will actually sit at 80 legally rather than consistently exceed 70, brake when they see the police and go back to 80ish afterwards as their cars won't be able to go much over 80 without the ride becoming uncomfortable.

I think this is a good idea, we have the safest road network in Europe by quite a margin, only a small minority of accidents are on motorways and we're lagging behind other countries in speed limits. Even Ireland with a pitiful motorway network has 120km/h where as we have 113km/h. Most European countries with low accident rates manage with 130km/h or 120km/h.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    iannai wrote: »
    I don't know why this theory is so widely spouted and believed. People now do 85mph because that is a reasonably safe speed to travel and the 70 limit is out of date.

Raising the speed limit to 80 is academic as people will continue to drive at what is a reasonable, and safe 80-85mph.

Anyone who drives at 80-85 now will not somehow, automatically increase their speed because the limit has gone up?? Why do some people think they would do this?

Then there's the ones who currently drive at 90 or 100+. They will continue to do so.

Because on a motorway, a lot of drivers look at a speed limit as something to be attained, like a goal to be achieved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teh User wrote: »
    ... I think this is a good idea, we have the safest road network in Europe by quite a margin ...

If it ain't broke ...
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Because on a motorway, a lot of drivers look at a speed limit as something to be attained, like a goal to be achieved.

That's not what people are saying though. It's more like:

"Because on a motorway, a lot of drivers look at a speed limit as something to be exceeded by exactly 10mph for no logical reason other than to purposefully break the law."

Like I say, the increase won't make a jot of difference to the people who currently sit at 100+ in the third lane anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bomb #21 wrote: »
    If it ain't broke ...

You deliberately ignored the fact that the vast majority of accidents are caused not on motorways and a tiny minority of motorway accidents are caused by excessive speed. Most motorway accidents are caused by people pulling out on others which is driver error, or fatigue on a car. This would have a negligible effect on accidents, and if the police enforce 80mph more than they enforce 70mph, this could in fact reduce the amount of accidents on motorways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

Fine, then let's scrap the speed limit and let people drive however fast they want.

In fact, let's just build more roads because, at the moment, there are simply too many cars on our struggling system. Let's increase each six lane motorway into a 12-lane motorway. That should get the economy moving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You deliberately ignored the fact that the vast majority of accidents are caused not on motorways and a tiny minority of motorway accidents are caused by excessive speed. Most motorway accidents are caused by people pulling out on others which is driver error, or fatigue on a car.

Where were these alleged facts that I allegedly deliberately ignored posted? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iannai wrote: »

Like I say, the increase won't make a jot of difference to the people who currently sit at 100+ in the third lane anyway.

I agree. You'll just get even more people sitting at 100+ in the third lane instead.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    You deliberately ignored the fact that the vast majority of accidents are caused not on motorways and a tiny minority of motorway accidents are caused by excessive speed. Most motorway accidents are caused by people pulling out on others which is driver error, or fatigue on a car. This would have a negligible effect on accidents, and if the police enforce 80mph more than they enforce 70mph, this could in fact reduce the amount of accidents on motorways.

And failing to indicate their intention.

Mirror - SIGNAL - Manouevre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And failing to indicate their intention.

Mirror - SIGNAL - Manouevre.

People don't even 'mirror' anymore, let alone 'signal'. The standard of driving on today's roads is frighteningly bad, and it's only going to get worse as the roads get ever more congested.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More revenue from fuel duty for a start.
    I thought we were being told that raising taxes is detrimental?
    Ok, so tax goes up, my disposable income goes down. I no longer buy those clothes, toys, pc games. As a result, the local shops lose income and have to close. Those workers, then have much less disposable income than previous, so the economy suffers as a whole.
    Is that how it works?
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    If only Scotland had motorways capable of reaching 80mph. Try doing 60 on the M8 and you'll be lucky!
    You clearly have very limited experience of motorways in Scotland.
  • Options
    Wayne DibblyWayne Dibbly Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I thought we were being told that raising taxes is detrimental?
    Ok, so tax goes up, my disposable income goes down. I no longer buy those clothes, toys, pc games. As a result, the local shops lose income and have to close. Those workers, then have much less disposable income than previous, so the economy suffers as a whole.
    Is that how it works?

It doesn't work that way does it.
    Whenever there has been an increase in fuel duty the public buys less fuel. Within a mater of a few weeks the sale of fuel rises back up to, or above, the previous levels. Fuel duty is one of those taxes they know people will pay regardless, people will find the money.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't work that way does it.
    Whenever there has been an increase in fuel duty the public buys less fuel. Within a mater of a few weeks the sale of fuel rises back up to, or above, the previous levels. Fuel duty is one of those taxes they know people will pay regardless, people will find the money.
    Well, that supports what I just said. My driving habits are unchanged, so I will pay more tax and have less disposable income.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart Tories. Cars travelling faster = more fuel use = more revenue from fuel taxes.
    This will more than make up for the revenue they lost on their last cheap political stunt (1p off fuel duty).

ditto, its about making more money out of the public, and nothing else. BTW, driving at 20mph rather than 30 is also likely to burn more fuel, and if you have to keep slowing up for speed bumps and traffic lights you certainly will use more fuel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect they're on a hiding to nothing if that's the case TBH.

The difference in fuel consumption between a steady 70mph and 80mph is negligible, drivers who currently wish to go quickly already do so and pay for fuel at a commensurate rate and travelling at a steady 80mph will use less fuel than travelling at 80mph and then slowing down every time you see a camera or cop-car before speeding up again.

per car, your right, although tbh my car doesnt do economy at 70+mph, but is great 50-60mph (small engine). But what you have to remember is that the small difference soon goes up when you count how many cars are on the motorway, each going that bit faster than they are now. Couple a mil a year I expect in new tax income.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Well, that supports what I just said. My driving habits are unchanged, so I will pay more tax and have less disposable income.

If your driving habits are unchanged, how will you pay more tax? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    Couple a mil a year I expect in new tax income.

Well, that's a realy cash-cow, isn't it?

Within 10 years they'll probably have recouped the cost of replacing all the signs and reprogramming all the matrix displays and cameras.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on a wider note, i ask everyone not to simply be a lemming and follow our leaders of a cliff edge. Over the next few days this subject will be put on as a "good-news" story, and little if anything will be said about the extra cost in fuel you will suffer by doing the extra 10mph, and yes it will mean a higher CO2 footprint - I thought we were trying to bring that down - maybe the M ways should all be 56mph if thats the case?