Tories to come third in Euro elections behind Labour and Ukip, poll warns

Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10575868/Tories-to-come-third-in-Euro-elections-behind-Labour-and-Ukip-poll-warns.html

'The YouGov poll for The Sun predicts that in the May elections, Labour would receive 32 per cent of the vote, Ukip would get 26 per cent and the Conservatives would get just 23 per cent.

It would leave Labour with 28 MEPs in the European Parliament, up 15. Ukip would return 23, up ten, and the Tories would return 15, down 11 seats.
The poll predicts that the Liberal Democrats would lose all 11 of their MEPs.
Coming third to Ukip would leave the Conservatives battling to convince voters that the party can win the general election in 2015'.

I'm no fan of UKIP but I think the Tories are in deep do-do - and that makes me very happy.

Comments

• Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be under a year until the general election when these take place.

If these results get repeated in the Euros and the Tories don't show any significant improvement in polling between now and then, it's going to be a pretty glum time for the Tories.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a similar news items in today's FT.

What particularly interested me was the demographic of the poll.

UKIP support among the over 65....38%
    UKIP support among the 25-39s...12%
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of UKIP but I think the Tories are in deep do-do - and that makes me very happy.

It wouldn't be good news for Labour either. If a year before a General Election they can't beat a one-man party then they really need to start worrying about their ability to get out their vote.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already have a thread about this.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1931378
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The other thread referencing the last poll wasn't good enough?
  • SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It wouldn't be good news for Labour either. If a year before a General Election they can't beat a one-man party then they really need to start worrying about their ability to get out their vote.

Labour would have the most UK MEP's if this poll is correct.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sluger wrote: »

And what difference would that make to anyone's life?
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that they would have done wouldn't they? It would be the governing party that wouldn't have beaten them.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not a lot which is why people vote very differently in EU elections.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sluger wrote: »

About the same amount of difference as UKIP having the second greatest numbers of MEPs.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well Labour sit in one of the two big influential party groupings and so more Labour MEPs in this grouping will increase their own influence here. On the other hand the Tories sit in an uninfluential little group with eastern European nationalists and homophobes. UKIPs grouping is even wierder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tories sit in an uninfluential little group with eastern European nationalists and homophobes. UKIPs grouping is even wierder.

I did almost giggle when I read about the Conservatives self imposed exile by making friens with nationalists and homophobes.

And UKIP is even wierder. Nearly half of all their MEPs have been expelled or defected or quit. Wonder if they'll be able to do better in the 2014-2019 EU parliamentary session. Though if British voters chose to leave the EU, UKIPs EU parliamentary shelf life might be shorter still.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest have been done for expenses fraud. Strange how this never gets mentioned.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »

What about support amongst the 40-64s ?
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Not a lot which is why people vote very differently in EU elections.

And turnout is even lower than the 30% to 35% turnout at local elections.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    The other thread referencing the last poll wasn't good enough?

One or a hundred threads on it doesn't make it any less real.

It's time for Tories to face the music and come to terms with this little bubble buster.:D
    Forum Member
    I think UKIP will actually win the Euro elections. Labour will possible come second. The only reason the Tories are trailing is because the Eurosceptic wing are voting for UKIP. There are also many "thinking" Labour and Lib Dem Eurosceptic voters who'll vote for UKIP at the time.

With the economy showing signs of recovery and people beginning to feel better off by the summer, the Tory vote will rise just in time for the general election in 2015. If they can't win outright then they'll enter into another coalition with the Lib Dems if only for the sake of continuity.

I don't believe Ed Miliband will be able to become prime minister and his failings, weaknesses and student-like persona will ultimately put off the electorate. The election campaign has only just begun and this is the first time we've ever had a fixed-term so the build up will be very different to usual.

It's all to play for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    With the economy showing signs of recovery and people beginning to feel better off by the summer, the Tory vote will rise just in time for the general election in 2015.

Seeing as Tory popularity appears to be built around cuts and causing pain, I'm not too sure this is a given. An improving economy could well mean people have less of a taste for austerity and what the Tory party stand for. Let's face it, the Tories are only really in off the back of the austerity ticket. I can't imagine austerity is going to be as popular in better economic times.
    I don't believe Ed Miliband will be able to become prime minister and his failings, weaknesses and student-like persona will ultimately put off the electorate. The election campaign has only just begun and this is the first time we've ever had a fixed-term so the build up will be very different to usual.

It's all to play for.

You can believe what you like, however at the moment most evidence points to the opposite of what you say happening.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With the economy showing signs of recovery and people beginning to feel better off by the summer, the Tory vote will rise just in time for the general election in 2015. If they can't win outright then they'll enter into another coalition with the Lib Dems if only for the sake of continuity.

Plausible forecast - the fact is that Labour are not far enough ahead at this point in the cycle to be assured of victory. As the polls inevitably narrow the closer we get to the election it is looking more likely that there will be no overall winner and more coalition government is on its way - unfortunately. :(
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »

If you look at most polls you will see the same effect for the Tories - huge support amongst pensioners little amongst the young.

Yet for the Lib Dems and Labour its reversed - as we saw in 2010 where the LDs did far worse on election day than expected as they were doing best amongst the young who then didn't vote.

As people get older they tend to get more right wing/conservative - because they have more to lose and have worked hard for what they have. Most UKIP and Tory voters now in their 60s probably backed Labour in their youth.

And of course the elderly vote!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I see things like this it breaks my heart.
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    When I see things like this it breaks my heart.

Like what?

Or were you just bumping the thread?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

Or were you just bumping the thread?

Painful reading by any chance? :D
    Forum Member
    Painful reading by any chance? :D

I may vote UKIP. it is pretty obvious how the election is going to go. I expect and want them to do well.

i was just wondering why having posted in the thread twice already jol posted one of his generics.