Family Heirloom

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Orson showed and gave Clara the toy soldier 'Danny' which he said was a family heirloom - which ended up with a child which could potentially be a Time Lord (believed to be the Doctor).

Does this mean Danny - Orson are relations of a Time Lord?

Comments

• amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I didn't read it as such. I thought Danny left it to guys family, Orson then allowed Clara to take it, implying she too was family. As to why she gave the heirloom away to the Doctor: a combination of panic, seeing it as a way of getting him, just as she did with Rupert and sensing some sort of paradox? Dunno!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I didn't read it as such. I thought Danny left it to guys family, Orson then allowed Clara to take it, implying she too was family. As to why she gave the heirloom away to the Doctor: a combination of panic, seeing it as a way of getting him, just as she did with Rupert and sensing some sort of paradox? Dunno!

Are we to presume then that the doctor placed the figurine(s) (being the original possessor of it) in the children's home for Clara to find it/them ?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe something simpler - Danny is Orson's great Grandfather (as was pretty much stated in the episode) and the toy was an inheritance from him.

That Clara gave it to the Doctor was merely linking two scared children and how toys get them through their fears. It was about imagery and linking the scared (almost soldier) Doctor with the scared (future soldier) Danny Pink. But i don't see that it had to be the Doctor who gave it to Danny but the other way around.
    Forum Member
    Or maybe something simpler - Danny is Orson's great Grandfather (as was pretty much stated in the episode) and the toy was an inheritance from him.

That Clara gave it to the Doctor was merely linking two scared children and how toys get them through their fears. It was about imagery and linking the scared (almost soldier) Doctor with the scared (future soldier) Danny Pink. But i don't see that it had to be the Doctor who gave it to Danny but the other way around.

The question was though how did it physically get from the young doctor to the children's home.

Still not convinced it was the young doctor, even though they mentioned it several times in 'Extra'. I'm still going with the Master theory ;-)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si Lurian wrote: »
    The question was though how did it physically get from the young doctor to the children's home.

Why would it need to?

Not every single event in this show has to be a Time Loop :D

The Toy soilder was made
    Bought by some kid
    Later donated to the Childrens home
    Lost it's gun at some point.
    Danny/Rupert takes it with him when he leaves the home
    Passed down through generations to Orson
    Orson gives it to Clara
    Clara leaves it for the Gallifreyian Child/Doctor
    After this we don't know what happens to it.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still not convinced it was the young doctor, even though they mentioned it several times in 'Extra'. I'm still going with the Master theory ;-)

It didn't have too, the toy was made in the 1980s/90's bought by the children's home for their residents. Danny/Rupert likes the toy, Clara tells him it's his toy and he takes it with him when he leaves and keeps it safe. It is then handed down the Pink family until it reaches Orson who gives it to Clara in the episode. She then gives it to the crying scared young Doctor, it then probably stays on Galifrey with him there is no need for it to go back to the children's home it's already been there.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Why would it need to?

Not every single event in this show has to be a Time Loop :D

The Toy soilder was made
    Bought by some kid
    Later donated to the Childrens home
    Lost it's gun at some point.
    Danny/Rupert takes it with him when he leaves the home
    Passed down through generations to Orson
    Orson gives it to Clara
    Clara leaves it for the Gallifreyian Child/Doctor
    After this we don't know what happens to it.

because item 8 on your list would be somewhat higher in the pecking order :)

Unless, of course, the master nicked it off him at the home and since re-generated as Pink(s) ;-)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because item 8 on your list would be somewhat higher in the pecking order :)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    to me it goes like this:

1. Young Danny has toy soldiers,
    2. Clara sets them up around the bed to ward off the monster under the bed to protect Danny after arriving to see about the never alone paranoid theory.
    3. Clara Makes gunless soldier seem special enough to pass down through family,
    4. Orson Gives it back to Clara, not realising she had been the person who originally gave it to Danny,
    5. Clara then gives it to the young Doctor, after grabbing his leg,
    6. This sets off an episode of Paranoia about never being alone which leads to point 2.

(doesn't go back to point one as Danny already had the toy soldier so is outside of the closed time loop.)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the Tardis was operating via its telepathic circuits, the doctor had disengaged the safety mechanism, the Doctor was unconscious/dreaming, the Doctor is telepathically linked without the finger goo, the Doctors mind is the strongest, the Tardis takes him (or who travels with him) where they need to be!