Options

[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Categories of Life' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is consistent. It is believable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Yes Luxvia - Owen was a Doctor but He? Had IIRR something like an alien encounter that killed his GF Before he joined TW & which in fact led Directly to him getting involved with Jack? In This new TW group? Esther, Rex, Jack & Rees All have Some experience of spying/CIA/Intelligence services/Out of the ordinary goings on etc ;) & That seems Far more important this time around than medical expertise - Vera? Had Nothing like that in her past at all; So If Anyone was Going To be sacrificed This time out? :confused: It made Vera The logical choice & so it proved more's the pity...............:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is consistent. It is believable.

Could you expand on this? I think I outlined pretty well why I found it unbelievable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Liparus? Didn't the Dr's Greatest Adversary the Master ;)Used to do Exactly what Danes did with the speech & he hypnotised Huge numbers of people with some sort of technique/device? Mayhap Oswald learned That little trick from Somewhere or maybe Someone? Who knows? Interesting question though :confused: - The answer should be equally so............:cool:

NB And to those asking If it's believable as a question re' Society? The answer is Yes - It Is totally; In a world where Huge numbers were massacred and hidden as happened in the Not-To-Distant past in Our world in Serbia, Russia, Germany, Czechslovakia, Most of Africa & who Knows How many places in the Middle East? It's Very easy to believe That or something like it? Could happen in Our world........Again - After all? Where do you think they Got the idea from in the First place? And speaking of that? I wonder just Who Miracle Day's Hitler might turn out to be - And mark my words? There Will be one or someone of that type appearing somewhere soon in TW - There couldn't Not be now - Not with all This Going on - Their identity should be interesting to say the least ......:confused:.......Either way? This is all certainly Very believable - Or to put it another, more modern way? 'They' Gave us our Human Rights by Defining them in Law in the First place - What is to stop them (Whoever They are) Removing said rights in the future? I think the fact that countries without a death penalty like Us are now signed to an EU Treaty that tries to establish precisely That as well as the fact we live in a society where you can now often be shot at by the police even on suspicion & nothing more (remember De Menezes in 2005?) taken together? All speaks volumes also And I do Not like the answers they give me - Not one bit................. So is it believable? Eminently so - Worringly so in fact. :mad:
  • Options
    cloudycloudy Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wmsheep wrote: »

Miss Kitzinger is in it right over her head, but doesn't know it!!

She is the only thing keeping me watching.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarius wrote: »
    You're an utterly dull person...only they could find this exciting thriller dull.

No, I just have higher expectations than you. I guess that makes you a stupid person as you are easily pleased by sub-standard TV.

Apologies to the rest of you enjoying this, I don't think you are stupid, I'm glad you are enjoying it and people have different tastes.to my own. But this is a discussion forum. Its not a fan club. So I will post negative posts even if the majority don't agree.

Anyway to expand on why I didn't like it:

- I found it quite slow going in the main.
    - It was obvious to me that they were death camps from the start
    - I didn't see the death of the doctor coming. But when it did I didn't really care.
    - Which is part of the problem because the only memorable character in this for me is Oswald.

So why watch it. Well every now and again there is a glimmer that its getting back to what I find entertaining. Its not sustained enough for me to say this series is great, but the story isn't so terrible it has me reaching for the off button.

Besides, this far in I want to find out how it all ends. I call this Smallvilleitits.
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted 'Good' but it was a little slow this week and not like last week which was the best episode out of the series so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted 'Good' but it was a little slow this week and not like last week which was the best episode out of the series so far.

Poor Vera. I was heart-broken by her fate. :cry:
  • Options
    LittlemissmolzLittlemissmolz Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    No, I just have higher expectations than you. I guess that makes you a stupid person as you are easily pleased by sub-standard TV.

Apologies to the rest of you enjoying this, I don't think you are stupid, I'm glad you are enjoying it and people have different tastes.to my own. But this is a discussion forum. Its not a fan club. So I will post negative posts even if the majority don't agree.

Anyway to expand on why I didn't like it:

- I found it quite slow going in the main.
    - It was obvious to me that they were death camps from the start
    - I didn't see the death of the doctor coming. But when it did I didn't really care.
    - Which is part of the problem because the only memorable character in this for me is Oswald.

So why watch it. Well every now and again there is a glimmer that its getting back to what I find entertaining. Its not sustained enough for me to say this series is great, but the story isn't so terrible it has me reaching for the off button.

Besides, this far in I want to find out how it all ends. I call this Smallvilleitits.

Yeah cos no one knows what happened to young Clark Kent from Smallville. Keeps you on the edge of the seat doesn't it?! I think he retired to Alaska and set up a bagel shop. Lived out his days uneventfully but happilly.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus? Didn't the Dr's Greatest Adversary the Master ;)Used to do Exactly what Danes did with the speech & he hypnotised Huge numbers of people with some sort of technique/device? Mayhap Oswald learned That little trick from Somewhere or maybe Someone? Who knows? Interesting question though :confused: - The answer should be equally so............:cool:

NB And to those asking If it's believable as a question re' Society? The answer is Yes - It Is totally; In a world where Huge numbers were massacred and hidden as happened in the Not-To-Distant past in Our world in Serbia, Russia, Germany, Czechslovakia, Most of Africa & who Knows How many places in the Middle East? It's Very easy to believe That or something like it? Could happen in Our world........Again - After all? Where do you think they Got the idea from in the First place? And speaking of that? I wonder just Who Miracle Day's Hitler might turn out to be - And mark my words? There Will be one or someone of that type appearing somewhere soon in TW - There couldn't Not be now - Not with all This Going on - Their identity should be interesting to say the least ......:confused:.......Either way? This is all certainly Very believable - Or to put it another, more modern way? 'They' Gave us our Human Rights by Defining them in Law in the First place - What is to stop them (Whoever They are) Removing said rights in the future? I think the fact that countries without a death penalty like Us are now signed to an EU Treaty that tries to establish precisely That as well as the fact we live in a society where you can now often be shot at by the police even on suspicion & nothing more (remember De Menezes in 2005?) taken together? All speaks volumes also And I do Not like the answers they give me - Not one bit................. So is it believable? Eminently so - Worringly so in fact. :mad:

No offence, but why do you type random words in bold? It's quite distracting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly didn't see the doctor's death coming - that was a shocker! Nor did I see the death camps either.

I'm still very much with my original opinion; this series isn't reaching the calibre of Children of Earth, but it's still quite involving. I do agree with those who say that the idea of Oscar being adulated is unlikely in the extreme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only likeable character's now dead:( if they kill Gwen or Rhys then i'll stop watching. When someone is cremated bones are left behind (could be wrong on that) but would Vera not have bones left? Would they be conscience? I really want Rex to die or at least leave and don't really care much for Esther either. Jilly is likeable but won't appear past this series and neither will Oswald who i also annoying me so i will be glad to get rid.
  • Options
    temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Lord , where to start.

This is just incredibly lazy writing.

The big reveal is ovens !!!! I hope to God thats not just it. Would that even be something you could keep secret ?

Oswalds stirring speech...it just seems that characters can spout the most utter dross and get 40,000 people behind them.

Poor old Vera has the misfortune to meet a psycopathic administrator----like you do.

What an amazing coincidence that Rex finds Vera.

And is it me or was Jack a completely hopeless wimp in this--- in fact he's been ineffectual since day 1 ---lets not play the mortal card either--he was mortal when he met the Doc--and a 10 times better character.

I could not agree more. That character kind of ruined the episode for me. He reminded me of Mr Garrison from South Park...
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am Loving this series Yes if might be different but it still feels like Torchwood and it's still the best drama on TV At the moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, that's it, I'm done. But before I explain why let me just put this up here: what follows is my personal view only. If you're enjoying the series, frankly, I'm glad. I honestly wish I could say the same and will still be watching the ratings and hoping it does well enough to justify series 5. I genuinely like Torchwood and want it to be a huge hit but this particular series has lost me as a viewer. Okay, disclaimer and sensible bit done, on to the rant :cool:

Terrible terrible writing, honestly I called pretty much every major plot element at least ten minutes before it happened. Vera was dead medic walking from the instant they closed down the boards at the beginning of the episode considering her only role has been a) exposition fairy and b) drug mule. For that matter she suffers the now-traditional Plot Driven Miracle Day IQ Drop by getting angry and outright threatening the guy running the camps even AFTER she'd been shot. Seriously, you're there to help Rex, shut up, watch everything, go back with a way to gather evidence later. Or you could be pushy, get shot and then burnt to ashes. Your choice. Oswald was never ever ever going to turn to the light five episodes in as there's no other clear bad guy at this point. Gwen's father was never making it out of this series alive (even if she saves him at this point he's still dead of a heart attack when the miracle goes away) and the second heart attack was obvious a mile away.

The inconsistency is still there too. Just last week we had a mysterious group track down Torchwood across the breadth of America. This week Gwen can travel across the atlantic, to a country that extridited her, with no problems whatsoever. We have a group of Brits easily outnumbering any forces on site but quite content to wait and shout rather than force their way in to see their loved ones (though granted the real life events of this week were kinda bad timing for that one). Vera says she's in Torchwood twice then claims she's not so she can do what she likes. Just... how does a writing team this talented manage to write such middle of the road cliched nonsense. Even the regulars were treated badly, Jack suddenly becomes the butt monkey of the US team, Gwen looses about 100 IQ points and Rhys is fully back in S1 bumbling idiot mode.

Pacing was terrible too. Right after Vera is put in the oven we cut away for Oswald's big 'will he won't he' speech for a good few minutes. Destroyed any tension at all. Plus the instant it was obvious Rex was going to see her you know she's going to die, this is Torchwood after all. Production values are still really poor in places too, the black tape is back in clear view hiding brand names and the crowd shots in the arena were just awful. Heck even the simple stuff is messed up, Rex's video camera (which, btw, was HOW big?) never seemed to actually use battery life or recording space.

The over the top gore is back in full effect and REALLY not necessary half way through the series. We get it, we've seen the horror, leave it to our imaginations occasionaly. Even the acting, up to this point a relative good point of the series, was largely terrible with almost all the new characters feeling like they were in panto (the soldier whose gun was taken being the biggest culprit) and the guy running the camp going from semi-interesting to mustache-twirling villain in the space of about thirty seconds. Esther still sounds like she's crying with every line and Rex is still a really bland typical TV American Agent.

Worst of all though.... there's no joy here, just death and despair. Children of Earth, as bleak as it was, at least kept all that for the LAST episode and gave us some fun moments in amongst the tragedy. Miracle Day has left that part out and you're left with the sci-fi equivalent of a SAW movie. Torchwood can do SO much better than this. Oh and talking of CoE I see we're back on the 'Governments are bastards' theme... great, haven't seen that before. Yeash.

To at least try and end on a positive note I'm hoping that there's some big plot twist coming that'll make it worth watching the last five episodes once it's all done with. But for now I'm not going to be watching live anymore and just watching the ratings thread with crossed fingers that the figures hold up.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not disagree with the killing off of major characters - so long as it is done in a well written way.

I was slightly shocked therefore that we had Vera making her way to LA after being on the medical panel (and I'm sure that she could have used her influence in an offial capacity to try to make things better without resorting to joing TW) and then being killed on her first mission.

Again nothing wrong in that - it just didn't add anything to the plot. She did not reveal anything of her discoveries to the other TW members (and Rex was onto it anyway.)
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I do not disagree with the killing off of major characters - so long as it is done in a well written way.

I was slightly shocked therefore that we had Vera making her way to LA after being on the medical panel (and I'm sure that she could have used her influence in an offial capacity to try to make things better without resorting to joing TW) and then being killed on her first mission.

Again nothing wrong in that - it just didn't add anything to the plot. She did not reveal anything of her discoveries to the other TW members (and Rex was onto it anyway.)

Apart from placing her in the same location as her casual sex partner when she died.

Thought this week's episode was brilliant. Shocked about Vera, Jilly is being groomed, the human race has evolved to Angels, and ovens which burn the category 1's to ashes, they might not be able to kill the 'Angels', but they can burn and kill the diseases that they carry. The real irony is that Vera died
    In something that she inadvertently created and contributed to.

More of the same please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, that's it, I'm done. But before I explain why let me just put this up here: what follows is my personal view only. If you're enjoying the series, frankly, I'm glad. I honestly wish I could say the same and will still be watching the ratings and hoping it does well enough to justify series 5. I genuinely like Torchwood and want it to be a huge hit but this particular series has lost me as a viewer. Okay, disclaimer and sensible bit done, on to the rant :cool:

Terrible terrible writing, honestly I called pretty much every major plot element at least ten minutes before it happened. Vera was dead medic walking from the instant they closed down the boards at the beginning of the episode considering her only role has been a) exposition fairy and b) drug mule. For that matter she suffers the now-traditional Plot Driven Miracle Day IQ Drop by getting angry and outright threatening the guy running the camps even AFTER she'd been shot. Seriously, you're there to help Rex, shut up, watch everything, go back with a way to gather evidence later. Or you could be pushy, get shot and then burnt to ashes. Your choice. Oswald was never ever ever going to turn to the light five episodes in as there's no other clear bad guy at this point. Gwen's father was never making it out of this series alive (even if she saves him at this point he's still dead of a heart attack when the miracle goes away) and the second heart attack was obvious a mile away.

The inconsistency is still there too. Just last week we had a mysterious group track down Torchwood across the breadth of America. This week Gwen can travel across the atlantic, to a country that extridited her, with no problems whatsoever. We have a group of Brits easily outnumbering any forces on site but quite content to wait and shout rather than force their way in to see their loved ones (though granted the real life events of this week were kinda bad timing for that one). Vera says she's in Torchwood twice then claims she's not so she can do what she likes. Just... how does a writing team this talented manage to write such middle of the road cliched nonsense. Even the regulars were treated badly, Jack suddenly becomes the butt monkey of the US team, Gwen looses about 100 IQ points and Rhys is fully back in S1 bumbling idiot mode.

Pacing was terrible too. Right after Vera is put in the oven we cut away for Oswald's big 'will he won't he' speech for a good few minutes. Destroyed any tension at all. Plus the instant it was obvious Rex was going to see her you know she's going to die, this is Torchwood after all. Production values are still really poor in places too, the black tape is back in clear view hiding brand names and the crowd shots in the arena were just awful. Heck even the simple stuff is messed up, Rex's video camera (which, btw, was HOW big?) never seemed to actually use battery life or recording space.

The over the top gore is back in full effect and REALLY not necessary half way through the series. We get it, we've seen the horror, leave it to our imaginations occasionaly. Even the acting, up to this point a relative good point of the series, was largely terrible with almost all the new characters feeling like they were in panto (the soldier whose gun was taken being the biggest culprit) and the guy running the camp going from semi-interesting to mustache-twirling villain in the space of about thirty seconds. Esther still sounds like she's crying with every line and Rex is still a really bland typical TV American Agent.

Worst of all though.... there's no joy here, just death and despair. Children of Earth, as bleak as it was, at least kept all that for the LAST episode and gave us some fun moments in amongst the tragedy. Miracle Day has left that part out and you're left with the sci-fi equivalent of a SAW movie. Torchwood can do SO much better than this. Oh and talking of CoE I see we're back on the 'Governments are bastards' theme... great, haven't seen that before. Yeash.

To at least try and end on a positive note I'm hoping that there's some big plot twist coming that'll make it worth watching the last five episodes once it's all done with. But for now I'm not going to be watching live anymore and just watching the ratings thread with crossed fingers that the figures hold up.

Reading this makes me aware how lucky I am. I almost never see any plot development coming
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a smashing episode myself. Sad to see Vera's departure, but in a storytelling sense, it developed the plot and made clear the horror of the situation. And sure, Jack isn't the all-conquering hero right now, but his moment is coming, and I'm pretty sure it'll be a big moment. Five episodes in, I want to know who's behind this, and what it means for Jack and Gwen. Two episodes in, I wasn't so sure, so I think it's fair to say that it's improved. This week's episode and last week's have got me in for the duration.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    60 minutes during which almost nothing happened plot-wise.

Lets see, death was categorised, the moronic Americans forumlate some kind of random plan with no real direction which ultimately fails, one wanders around a corridor being elusive for no reason, two of them do nothing and one dies (probably)....and deservedly so for being stupid, provoking, then threatening, then, for good measure, insulting someone clearly under intense stress and pressure. Whatever happened to talking your way out of a situation then taking action once your clear of the obvious danger?

The whole Gwen side story is pointless, it adds nothing to the story progression and that was half the show.

4 shows in now (is it 4 or 5?) and we know almost nothing....because little has happened and nothing has really been revealed.

It's still an interresting plot, but it's frustrating to watch hour after hour and receive nothing for that investment. Makes it harder week on week to watch because I just know im not going to learn anything about the story.

It's Lost all over again.

I'd agree with this. I'm quite interested in the general plot conceit, but things are unfolding so slowly and methodically it's failing to generate any of the raw excitement I felt during the exhilarating Children of Earth.

It was obvious what these overflow camps were from the moment they appeared on screen - but it still took us another hour of some of our 'heroes' fumbling around in the dark, with no decent plan or purpose, to reach that conclusion. The climactic scene with Vera and the admin guy was well executed but it didn't teach us anything new and the death felt like such plotting by the numbers. End of episode 5 - halfway through the series - and we get the 'shocking twist'. Which was neither shocking nor terribly emotional because Rex is a thoroughly uninspiring, angry plank.

Meanwhile Gwen is detached, Esther is bland, and Jack is totally anonymous. The Torchwood team seems to consist of nothing more than a few mildly curious CIA types with access to some clever software. Vera was the only one who had really distinguished herself at all so far (on the hospital wards) and now she's toast. Just do something remarkable, please!
  • Options
    nextexitnextexit Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For that matter she suffers the now-traditional Plot Driven Miracle Day IQ Drop by getting angry and outright threatening the guy running the camps even AFTER she'd been shot.

That was somewhat bewildering, I wondered if she was going to keep rabbiting on at him if he shot her a couple more times. Reminded me of this scene from Scary Movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gk7xIuBEzQ

'Oh look at me, I'm all dead!'
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Vera. I was heart-broken by her fate. :cry:

Yeah that was a sad scene. :(
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah cos no one knows what happened to young Clark Kent from Smallville. Keeps you on the edge of the seat doesn't it?! I think he retired to Alaska and set up a bagel shop. Lived out his days uneventfully but happilly.

Thanks a bunch. You could have used spoiler tags!

It the journey not the destination. We know that in Miracle Day Torchwood will save the day and Phicorp will get its comeuppance. The interesting bit it how, and who dies on the way.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Gwen is detached, Esther is bland, and Jack is totally anonymous.

Jack hasn't been well used so far but he's apparently the entire focus of episode 7 - along with a bit of Gwen - so maybe the second half of the series makes up for the first half Jack-wise, especially with one less character to think about now, Vera...

Vera's death was the first thing to actually get me 'excited' this series - as brutal as her death was - so let's hope the pace picks up from now on. I prefered her character over Esthers but what can you do??
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chipchat wrote: »
    Thought it was a smashing episode myself. Sad to see Vera's departure, but in a storytelling sense, it developed the plot and made clear the horror of the situation. And sure, Jack isn't the all-conquering hero right now, but his moment is coming, and I'm pretty sure it'll be a big moment. Five episodes in, I want to know who's behind this, and what it means for Jack and Gwen. Two episodes in, I wasn't so sure, so I think it's fair to say that it's improved. This week's episode and last week's have got me in for the duration.

Exacly this, guessed the death camps but was truely shocked about Vera! I was thinking 'come on Rex, get her out' but then I realised it was TW not DW and everyone is fodder. Can't wait until next week!