No Ordinary Family (ABC - U.S. Pace) [SPOILERS]

KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
Forum Member
Intriguing show. ABC.com has the Pilot up online, but its locked down to US IPs only (details here - http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/08/no-ordinary-family-watch-pilot.html. )

If you can figure a way around that restriction, or an alternate source of viewing it, its interesting watching.

Basically its sort of a re-mix of The Incredibles, but without the costumes. Or maybe The Fantastic Four (kind of ironic given that Michael Chiklis played The Thing in those movies).

Parts of it are kind of silly, but if you can roll with the silliness, its also very unpretentious and has a great cast.

Comments

• mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Just watched the pilot. I like the premise, not entirely sold on the show though. I'll give it a few episodes. I don't really like that it does the typical "use your powers to solve crime" thing with the dad. Why can't they just have special powers that help them day-to-day? The kids seem to be going that way at least.
  • OakwoodOakwood Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Any news of a UK channel screening the series??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Surprised no-one has yet commented on this.

Just watched - LOVED IT! Probably my favourite "fun show" of the new crop. Modern Family meets Heroes / The Incredibles!

No Ordinary Family is a series about a family with super powers and although this is one of the highlights, its interesting how the creative team are using the superpowers element to work at creating the drama and comedy typical to a family dramedy series, for despite being a Sci-fi / fantasy series, it seems from the opener that this will be the underlaying part of the show, second to the family drama.

It was great to see Michael Chiklis back on our screens with a new regular gig that allows him to play a completely different role to that he played on gritty The shield, although his new role does have echoes of The thing, the role he played on the big screen adapations of The fantastic 4. Julie Benz was also good in the role of the wife. Of all, perhaps the teenagers on the show are the ones that require some work.

Liked the fact that they used the "Modern Family" technique to bring us up to speed with the story, and it seems this will be a fixture for the series in terms of its story telling.

Also liked the fact that they have introduced a villain and a band of baddies who also have abilites. No doubt it is all connected to the Director at the lab who expressed interest in the "old plant" - he probably is aware of its abilities and is already using this to create his band of baddies!

Anyway, all in all really enjoyable. In view that most new shows have already premiered I can say that no Ordinary Family will probably be my Fun Show for the new TV season, alongside Hawaii 5-0. If this had been a BBC series, it probably would have aired in the Saturday evening slot - perfect for the whole family to sit down and watch together.

Anyone else watched?
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok. Not stellar, but enjoyable enough that I'll tune in for the next ep.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I managed to watch the peair pilot when it was released early some weeks back, and only decided to watch it because of Julie Benz & Michael Chiklis but i did enjoy it, will tune in for further episodes and see how it runs.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it will watch a few more
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,327
    Forum Member
    I hadn't realised the pilot was online, perhaps had I looked hard enough. Anyway, after watching this show this morning, I can't say I'm overly sold, but to carry on the shop analogies, I'm at the check up trying to decide if I should buy it.

It was perfectly enjoyable, and added to the fact that they do seemingly have some weaknesses, then it could be interesting and as long as they don't use the traditional crime solving type, stuff or over play that, as well as trying to add the funnies it could work out.

The kids didn't get a fair crack of the whip, the lines and stories didn't get much chance to go in depth unlike the parents. So I guess, we may get that next week.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I thought it was OK, just concerned it will become the 'same' type of thing each week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pilot showed promise. I'll give it a couple more episodes to see where it goes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    A little meh

Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman for the post noughties with better fx and a couple of kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the idea is great the actor is great the writing not so much though.. it lets the show down big time, i'll still tune in next wk
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a nice premise, but there are a few major problems with the show:

1) The writing. It's appalling! "Her career as a research scientist was going well" struck me as a particularly poor line - why not just say "her career was going well", as it was pretty obvious what she did for a living? There were several other moments like that too, where the writing was clunky and overly expositional.

2) The MOTW. I really hope we're not going to get into a situation where each week, the main characters end up somehow running into one of these other super-powered people. Like the guy who can teleport, and apparently uses this skill to rob mom & pop jewellery stores.

3) JJ. What exactly is his power? It's been described in articles as "super intelligence", but all we've seen it do so far is rearrange formulae on a blackboard - he doesn't seem to actually be any smarter.

I want to like this show, and I think it's been well directed and well acted, but the poor quality of the dialogue does not bode well for the future. There was once another show about real life superheroes that was well acted but had bad writing...
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a nice premise, but there are a few major problems with the show:

1) The writing. It's appalling! "Her career as a research scientist was going well" struck me as a particularly poor line - why not just say "her career was going well", as it was pretty obvious what she did for a living? There were several other moments like that too, where the writing was clunky and overly expositional.

2) The MOTW. I really hope we're not going to get into a situation where each week, the main characters end up somehow running into one of these other super-powered people. Like the guy who can teleport, and apparently uses this skill to rob mom & pop jewellery stores.

3) JJ. What exactly is his power? It's been described in articles as "super intelligence", but all we've seen it do so far is rearrange formulae on a blackboard - he doesn't seem to actually be any smarter.

I want to like this show, and I think it's been well directed and well acted, but the poor quality of the dialogue does not bode well for the future. There was once another show about real life superheroes that was well acted but had bad writing...

The series is very clearly being pitched at a "family audience" so it would be a mistake to make things too sophisticated for the kids who are watching.
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heroes Lite;)
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    The series is very clearly being pitched at a "family audience" so it would be a mistake to make things too sophisticated for the kids who are watching.

This is true, but I would counter that by saying that Doctor Who (as an example) is also pitched at a family audience, and the writing is of a much higher standard. None of the points I made could only be fixed by compromising the accessibility of the show.
    Forum Member
    This is true, but I would counter that by saying that Doctor Who (as an example) is also pitched at a family audience, and the writing is of a much higher standard.

Doctor Who is better, that's why.:D

But seriously, my reaction to the first episode of No Ordinary Family is similar to my reaction after watching the first episode of Merlin, the BBC's "other" Saturday night family show. Obvious concessions to youngsters that keep me from thinking too highly of it, but still enough there that I want to watch more.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acting awful, the script was laughable, there seemed to be no discernible bad guy until they added that bit twenty seconds towards the end...

...so why was I so entertained! :o:D
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true, but I would counter that by saying that Doctor Who (as an example) is also pitched at a family audience, and the writing is of a much higher standard. None of the points I made could only be fixed by compromising the accessibility of the show.

Really? Doctor Who is fun but the writing is generally not that great imho.

I enjoyed this first episode; I agree that there were some clunky bits but it feels pretty well balanced as a family show; the light Incredibles tone was great fun :)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    I enjoyed this first episode; I agree that there were some clunky bits but it feels pretty well balanced as a family show; the light Incredibles tone was great fun :)

The father is the spit of his equivalent character in the Invincibles :o
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the way the show is filmed, the tone and music remind anyone of something that was broadcast in the past? It seems very familiar and I don't mean in a generic superhero show way.
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this available on Channel BT? Can't seem to find it anywhere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy B wrote: »
    Is this available on Channel BT? Can't seem to find it anywhere

Well I get mine from usenet but others may use other sources.
  • nerf666nerf666 Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    What time is it shown in the US? I only ask as im not sure what their target audience is... as another poster described it, it comes across as 'heroes lite' - just hope it gets abit darker.

Love Conrad from weeds (no idea on his actual name) so will defoo be watching :)
    Forum Member
    nerf666 wrote: »
    What time is it shown in the US? I only ask as im not sure what their target audience is...

8 to 9 pm on Tuesdays. It is definitely aimed at the whole family, so don't expect it to get darker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first ep last night, seemed far too rushed. Could have made a good 5 episodes but instead they chose the talking to shrink rush through.

Could be good but I need to see what an actual episode is like before I judge it too much.

I have to agree that some of the writing was poor though.

A lair with wi-fi oooooh not wi-fi OMGz0rs