FA Cup 2010-11 second round coverage

Comments

• suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i want to know how the hell they can see the football with the low sun and football jerseys and the dreaded orange football it puts me off watching the cup altogether what on earth made the fa chose an orange ball any thoughts on the ball:mad:
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good call! The problem is that Stevenage, as you had pointed out, was a non-league club themselves until this season, this may count against this tie being shown?

Not really. They are in league 2 now.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. They are in league 2 now.

Yes l know, they won the BSPL last season!
  • gilstagilsta Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Ebbsfleet v Stevenage wouldn't be that bad a tie. I think if the TV companies choose before the replays they may as well choose this, because any of the 4 options isn't too bad for them. Obviously AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons doesn't need anyone to explain it. Ebbsfleet are a conference south club who have a fairly interesting story as they were the fans club who people brought on the internet. Stevenage have just got into the league, and MK Dons despite everything are a good club for TV, even if its because no one actually likes them!

It really is a no-brainer for ITV. Unfortunately a lot of people on this forum have no brains.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Ebbsfleet v Stevenage wouldn't be that bad a tie. I think if the TV companies choose before the replays they may as well choose this, because any of the 4 options isn't too bad for them. Obviously AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons doesn't need anyone to explain it. Ebbsfleet are a conference south club who have a fairly interesting story as they were the fans club who people brought on the internet. Stevenage have just got into the league, and MK Dons despite everything are a good club for TV, even if its because no one actually likes them!

My thoughts exactly.

All four potential ties are non-league v league match-ups, the basic formula that makes for a good TV game in the first and second round of the FA Cup, and both AFC Wimbledon and Ebbsfleet have interesting stories which will appeal to the neutral viewer.

The possibility of an AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons tie is far too good to miss out on, so I fully expect ITV will go with this game as their pick. Even if their "dream tie" doesn't come off, whatever the results of the replays they'll be left with a decent match.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    lets think about 1st round replay coverage first !!!
  • paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Crawley v Swindon - obvious choice
    Southampton vs Cheltenham Town – Southampton big reputation, both colourful managers.
    Prospect of AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons – worth the risk

Personally I’d like either of the below, but unlikely.
    Droylsden v Dagenham & Redbridge or Leyton Orient
    Colchester United v Swindon Supermarine

Aside. Shame ITV has kept the comic book intro. If they weren’t going to create a new one, they should have used Abide with me. Also, bring back ex-players for the draw, not celebrities.
  • favemuppetfavemuppet Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    ITV failed to pick out Gillingham v Dover for 1st round coverage, even though this was an obvious "grudge match" and there was so much hype about it. It was just as big as what AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons would be. So I doubt Dover will get a look in for round 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    favemuppet wrote: »
    ITV failed to pick out Gillingham v Dover for 1st round coverage, even though this was an obvious "grudge match" and there was so much hype about it. It was just as big as what AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons would be. So I doubt Dover will get a look in for round 2.
    Youre having a laugh, no one cares about Gillingham or Dover but most football fans hate the fact that Wimbledon were moved to MK, theyd love to see AFC W do over MKD.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the news this morning they were reporting that AFC have said they'd rather not have to play MK!
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    Youre having a laugh, no one cares about Gillingham or Dover but most football fans hate the fact that Wimbledon were moved to MK, theyd love to see AFC W do over MKD.

So why Cambridge v Huddersfield was shown then...even Cambridge fans didn't bother to turn up!

Can we expect the ties at Crawley and Droylsdon not to be televised live because nobody gives a toss about these clubs as well!
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lets think about 1st round replay coverage first !!!

ESPN have picked the following 2 games to show live

Tuesday 16 November

Woking v Brighton

Thursday 18 November

Ebbsfleet v AFC Wimbledon
    Forum Member

And that is my point. Whatever the circumstances, Dover are unfashionable. They do not warrant TV coverage. Unfortunately for them they are in the mediocre bracket - not as steeped in cup history as Woking, and not as tiny as Swindon Supermarine, say.

I think its about time the TV companies started giving money to the clubs that need it, like Dover, rather than chucking it at the likes of Crawley who are rolling in it already.
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its about time the TV companies started giving money to the clubs that need it, like Dover, rather than chucking it at the likes of Crawley who are rolling in it already.

Is it though? The FA Cup isn't a charity it's a football competition. The TV companies aren't there to give handouts to the most deserving club or the team with the biggest sob story, they choose their live matches on the basis of entertainment, story and viewing figures. So on that basis Crawley's game has absolutely every right to be televised over Dover's and would be odd not to show it.
    Forum Member
    they choose their live matches on the basis of entertainment, story and viewing figures. .

Story? So why didn't the Dover / Gillingham game get shown over the Southport/Sheff Wed one, given that there was a clear story there? Tell me that.

Entertainment? Tell me a TV exec thats actually been to a Dover game and I might start to see your point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes l know, they won the BSPL last season!

I don't know why you seem to be so obsessed with the leagues that teams used to be in, rather than the ones they are in now.

But to cut it short any random non league team at home playing against Stevenage is a contender for a live TV match in the FA Cup in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

If Wolves this season are drawn away from home in the FA Cup in the 3rd round, I know our match would be a contender for a live TV match (may still not get picked though.) Even though between 1989-2003, and then from 2004-2009 the club has only being in the 2nd level of English football.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sheffield Wednesday story had a clear story in it as well. Sheffield Wednesday in financial trouble, playing against a club that has just come up from the conference north.

Dover were playing against a league team away from home, and hence it was not picked for TV.

In terms of being a big match Gillingham v Dover is not as big as a first ever competitive meeting between AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons would be, and its ridiculous to suggest it is.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sheffield Wednesday story had a clear story in it as well. Sheffield Wednesday in financial trouble, playing against a club that has just come up from the conference north.

...and not forgetting that Wednesday hadn't won an FA Cup game for about a decade.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    ...and not forgetting that Wednesday hadn't won an FA Cup game for about a decade.
    True, but with all due respect that wouldn't be a major factor in whether the game was picked.
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Story? So why didn't the Dover / Gillingham game get shown over the Southport/Sheff Wed one, given that there was a clear story there? Tell me that.

Entertainment? Tell me a TV exec thats actually been to a Dover game and I might start to see your point.

If the match was as you have put it above, with Dover at home, it would have been on TV almost certainly. I think one of the reasons why it wasn't shown was because people know very, very little about Dover FC. Most football fans have heard of FC United of Manchester, and I suspect a fair few have heard about Southport, both teams who were shown at the weekend. I also think we misjudged Dover's capability and I certainly expected Gillingham to walk it at the weekend, making for a not very interesting cup tie. In hindsight this game should have been chosen ahead of Cambridge v Huddersfield.

However my original point earlier was that Crawley's 2nd round game should be chosen ahead of Dover's 2nd round game, I made no mention of the 1st round picks until now.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However my original point earlier was that Crawley's 2nd round game should be chosen ahead of Dover's 2nd round game, I made no mention of the 1st round picks until now.

I disagree. I think they are equally strong... and likely they will both be on TV.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few people on here have been banging on about how Gillingham v Dover should have been on TV, but what about the other big non-league v league shock, Tamworth v Crewe Alexandra? Unlike Dover, Tamworth were at home and have a recent pedigree of FA Cup upsets. Although they are not the near neighbours Dover and Gillingham are, Tamworth and Crewe are not a million miles apart from each other so the game had a local-ish angle to it as well.

In those terms, I think Tamworth v Crewe would perhaps have been a better TV pick than either Cambridge United v Huddersfield or Gillingham v Dover. However, I can't fault the choices of Southport v Sheffield Wednesday or Rochdale v FC United of Manchester for TV.

That said, looking towards Round Two, Dover v Brentford or Aldershot looks to be a much better TV tie than Carlisle (who beat Tipton 6-0 in R1) v Tamworth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why Cambridge v Huddersfield was shown then...even Cambridge fans didn't bother to turn up!

Can we expect the ties at Crawley and Droylsdon not to be televised live because nobody gives a toss about these clubs as well!

Because its standard practice to have a lower or non league team at home to a big club and Huddersfield were probably one of the biggest 5 teams in the draw.

The tie wouldnt have been shown if it was at Huddersfield just as the tie at Gillingham shouldnt be shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that is my point. Whatever the circumstances, Dover are unfashionable. They do not warrant TV coverage. Unfortunately for them they are in the mediocre bracket - not as steeped in cup history as Woking, and not as tiny as Swindon Supermarine, say.

If they get a big team at home in the next round, they have a great chance of being shown, if they are drawn away, there is a zero chance of them being shown.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    If they get a big team at home in the next round, they have a great chance of being shown, if they are drawn away, there is a zero chance of them being shown.
    As demonstrated by the fact that Liverpool vs. Havant and Waterloovile wasn't shown live on TV (which caused uproar, despite the fact that the tie was dependent on replays which were played after the TV games were chosen).