Options

BluRay discs - Too expensive ?

Comments

• Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Morrisons yesterday, they were selling the 'Inception' dvd for £12.99 yet for a pound more, you could pick up the same title on blu-ray triple play (with dvd and digital copy) in the same store!

Please could someone tell me how this price structure works!!!? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Morrisons yesterday, they were selling the 'Inception' dvd for £12.99 yet for a pound more, you could pick up the same title on blu-ray triple play (with dvd and digital copy) in the same store!

Please could someone tell me how this price structure works!!!? :eek:

I imagine the Blu-Ray will go up tomorrow as some stores do an offer where a new title is cheaper on the first week then bump it up to normal price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been on Play.com and saw Memento on DVD for £4.49 and the Blu-Ray is £14.49 and apparently the blu-ray is not that far superior to the DVD.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Yep - blu rays still seem just that bit too expensive - won't be converting just yet!!

Interesting question here - Does anybody refer to their blu-ray collection as DVD's??? :D

I think it will be sometime before 'come to mine and watch a blu ray' is a standard phrase...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Yep - blu rays still seem just that bit too expensive - won't be converting just yet!!

Interesting question here - Does anybody refer to their blu-ray collection as DVD's??? :D

I think it will be sometime before 'come to mine and watch a blu ray' is a standard phrase...

I refer to them as my movie collection, as i've discovered some people don't know what a blu ray is yet.:eek:
  • Options
    Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine the Blu-Ray will go up tomorrow as some stores do an offer where a new title is cheaper on the first week then bump it up to normal price.

It didn't look like it was on special offer! I'll check tomorrow as l'll be passing by.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just need to shop around when buying blu rays. New releases are expensive, but so is the DVD version of the same movie when first released. If you wait a while the price of a new release on Blu ray will fall. There are also plenty of blu ray titles for under £10 and pleny of sites do deals where you cam pick up 2 blu rays for £12, £15 and £18.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are some hideously expensive blu rays, particularly the disney stuff, we wanted to get a couple of pixar films on blu ray for the kids, i remember WALL-E and Monsters Inc being £29.99 EACH in HMV, and this was only 4 or 5 months ago

Conversely, I recently got the Toy Story 3 triple play for £13.99 from HMV o_0

Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think BluRay will take off in big way until the discs come down in price to something like £10.
    Do you think this is likely to happen ?
    You can get a player for £60 in Tesco's :eek: so I think the price drop is starting to happen, but not fast enough !
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-6218.aspx
    I don't have a BluRay player yet. Is this one worth getting ?

I agree, they need to get rid of the double/triple play formats and get single versions of the films out at about a tenner. In my local tescos SALT and sourcerers apprentice were 21.99, totally crazy, no wonder the shelves are full of unsold blu rays,

Many people I know wont buy a BR player until the prices of the discs drop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blu-rays are ridiculously expensive. They have been increased expecially for xmas

avoid buying at all costs for more than £10

I agree, supermarkets and one in particular has raised the price of new releases buy over 25%.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a blu ray instore. HMV and the supermarkets are ridiculously expensive. They are always cheaper online. You have to be paitient and shop around online to get blu rays at decent prices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a blu ray instore. HMV and the supermarkets are ridiculously expensive. They are always cheaper online. You have to be paitient and shop around online to get blu rays at decent prices.

I never buy from supermarkets and HMV.com are always a lot more expensive then amazon and the like, but have picked some BR bargins up on HMV.Com but its pretty rare.
    Most films come down in price on line after a few months, I always wait,
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockbuster have Kick Ass, Shutter Island, Alice In Wonderland etc for just £10 brand new on blu-ray.
  • Options
    nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blu-rays are more expensive for a simple reason, they can get away with it because mass piracy of Blu-ray discs is not that common. Same as DVD's and VHS before them. Bleed the public dry then whine about profits, capitalist pigs. :o Sorry, went a bit mad then.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Blu-rays are more expensive for a simple reason, they can get away with it because mass piracy of Blu-ray discs is not that common. Same as DVD's and VHS before them. Bleed the public dry then whine about profits, capitalist pigs. :o Sorry, went a bit mad then.:p

If you take a look at a certain "Bay" of "Pirates" (or other such websites, not that i recommend it;)) i think you'll find that Blu Ray piracy is just as prevalent as DVD piracy, i seem to remember reading that as well as being the highest selling Blu Ray ever, Avatar is also the most pirated Blu Ray ever too. It seems to me as if the days of pirate DVD's being bought of that dodgy geezer in the pub are at an end though, as most people who would have bought them are now wise to such alternate methods of obtaining films on the sly. It's been absolutely ages since i saw someone trying to sell pirate DVD's (it always puzzled me why someone would want to actually pay for such shit in the first place...).

The reason why Blu Ray is more expensive than DVD is simply because it is a superior product with better picture and sound quality, not to mention the disc is around 50gb in size compared to the 9-ish gb of DVD (consequently making it more expensive to produce). It was the same with DVD when VHS was the lead format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Blockbuster have Kick Ass, Shutter Island, Alice In Wonderland etc for just £10 brand new on blu-ray.

Yeah and they come covered in fingerprints as well :cool:
  • Options
    Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will only buy Blu-ray from now on, however, has it really take off? The only people I know who insist on getting Blu-ray are hi-fi enthusiasts, most other people I know are not ready to get Blu-ray or don't even know what it is!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah and they come covered in fingerprints as well :cool:
    Errr, no. 10 quid brand new from Blockbuster Shop not Blockbuster Rent.

Seriously how do you guys shop for Blu-rays? Here's my method:

Step 1: Pick a Blu-ray I want to buy
    Step 2: Head to AV Science Forum Blu-ray PQ Tier List and find where on the list your film choice is.
    Step 3: Go to BluRay Collections to find the cheapest price
    Step 4: Buy it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    prankz wrote: »

Step 2: Head to AV Science Forum Blu-ray PQ Tier List and find where on the list your film choice is.

Those links are quite useful thanks. I usually just google the title use an assortment of reviews to find out the quality and then use a lot of different online sites to work out where is the cheapest price.

I used to do the same with DVDs I mean are people who are saying DVDs are of decent price buying from shops too - because I am tell you now you are more than likely getting ripped off with them too - My mum was going to get Pacific on DVD from Asda for my sisters fella, a quick search on the old phone showed that she could get it £10 cheaper from Amazon.

I will never buy the first option I come across I always look to see if there is a better deal elsewhere anyone who buys the first thing that comes along is a little silly in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great links thanks
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been on Play.com and saw Memento on DVD for £4.49 and the Blu-Ray is £14.49 and apparently the blu-ray is not that far superior to the DVD.

And how long has the film been out on dvd?

Obviously old dvd's will be cheaper than many Blurays that have not been out as long.

The Bluray is £11.93 on Amazon.
    The days of best prices at Play are long gone but even they have pages and pages with several hundred Bluray titles all under £8

All this whinging about Bluray prices is getting silly.
    When dvd was new high street shops were charging £22 for them so Bluray is much cheaper.

The bottom line is that only an idiot buys regularly from the high street.

I've been collecting 3 years and the majority of my couple of hundred titles are well under £10.
    ON the odd occasion I buy a new release I will pay up to £15 for a regular title - but lots more for boxsets.

I just ordered Starman on Bluray and its from the US and is £7.25 delivered - hardly a wallet buster.

These threads simply demonstrate that people don't know where to do their shopping to get the best prices.

If you look in supermarkets you deserve to get ripped off

As for the stupid argument that leaving the dvd and digital copy out will reduce the price ....:rolleyes:

Including a dvd encourages sales to those who want a Bluray but may have a dvd player elsewhere , or maybe they don't even have a Bluray player yet .
    Why buy the dvd on its own when for a pound or two more you can get the Bluray and the dvd.

If anyone is being ripped off its dvd buyers who's disc will drop in value by 80% over the next few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I know exactly what you meant,

If the blu ray is not sealed its stored in a cardbord folder, and your guess is asd good as mine if its new or not.

If its sealed fine but in my local blockbuster no new blu rays come as sealed. And their so called new ones are not new if you know what I mean, the staff get their grubby fingers over them as they dont care less.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think BluRay will take off in big way until the discs come down in price to something like £10.
    Do you think this is likely to happen ?
    You can get a player for £60 in Tesco's :eek: so I think the price drop is starting to happen, but not fast enough !
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-6218.aspx
    I don't have a BluRay player yet. Is this one worth getting ?

Thank you very much for the 'Heads Up' I'll order three for the bedrooms, cheers chap :)
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the 'Heads Up' I'll order three for the bedrooms, cheers chap :)

Happy to help, old bean ! :)
    Remember to tell us what you think of it !
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

These bargain basement players always seem to have hacks for Bluray and dvd so keep a lookout.

Bluray multiregion adds about £130 to the price of the branded players like Panasonic , Sony etc
    so these cheaper ones are great for trying out locked imports