Les Miserables

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that special pissed me right off!

I was trying to show my brother the power and beauty of Les Mis and all we got was no more then two words and then CUT!

How could anyone who is not already besotted with it (myself included) be inspired to watch it after that?

It was frustrating!

Well they're hardly going to show the whole movie on the special, the whole point was just to remind people it's coming out!

I'm glad they didn't show the songs in any great detail, but there was a lot of wasted time with links and clips that have been widely available for weeks. I would have liked a bit more backstage stuff, I'd seen half those interviews before. There are better behind-the-scenes bits available on the internet.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's true for the stage production, less so for the movie. This movie isn't meant to be, and never was intended to be, a perfect replica of the stage show - what would be the point in that? It's a new adaptation, and a lot mroe can be done acting-wise on film than can be done on stage in terms of detailing, so if that's at the expense of big belting singing, then that's fine by me. As long as they're all in tune and the tone of their voices don't grate!

I thought that the older Cossete was rather reedy:o
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idetached wrote: »
    Sorry, American's didn't exactly love this movie. It made about 18 million in America opening day and was behind 2 other movies. The complaint appears to be the fact they didn't use actors who could really do justice to singing the songs. It is a musical that was turned into a movie and the songs are an iconic part. Maybe the singing is just a personal preference, but movies here get one maybe 2 weekends to make back their money, if this doesn't do it, doesn't matter how good Anne acted, the movie will be considered a flop.

I had to queue to watch the film on Christmas Day in Las Vegas - and the second show was sold out. It was the biggest ever Xmas Day opener so really not sure what makes you think the yanks don't love it.
    It was expected to take $12M on opening day and smashed that so again not sure where your info comes from.
    Reviews, box office and general interest in it seemed pretty huge! Its going to be a monster movie :)
    Have seen it twice now and loved it - my only slight criticism is that I think Cosette is just a bit Disney for my liking - a bit high pitched and girlie - but its nit picking!
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It opened at #1 on Christmas day and is the 2nd biggest Christmas day opening after Sherlock Holmes. It's doing so well!! It's going to become a monster when it opens in the UK. The buzz around Anne Hathaway for this movie is unreal, she's definitely drawing in the crowds, especially those who have never heard of Les Mis before.

It's worldwide gross right now is like 115.4 million in a week.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to queue to watch the film on Christmas Day in Las Vegas - and the second show was sold out. It was the biggest ever Xmas Day opener so really not sure what makes you think the yanks don't love it.
    It was expected to take $12M on opening day and smashed that so again not sure where your info comes from.
    Reviews, box office and general interest in it seemed pretty huge! Its going to be a monster movie :)
    Have seen it twice now and loved it - my only slight criticism is that I think Cosette is just a bit Disney for my liking - a bit high pitched and girlie - but its nit picking!

BIB: Yeah I think Amanda is the weakest of the younger cast. But the adult Cosette character has always been a bit meh for me, and totally outshone by Eponine, both in the movie and in the stage production.

I thought Samantha Barks is fantastic. I know she is a veteran Eponine from West End but I'm really impressed by her acting in the movie.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    It opened at #1 on Christmas day and is the 2nd biggest Christmas day opening after Sherlock Holmes. It's doing so well!! It's going to become a monster when it opens in the UK. The buzz around Anne Hathaway for this movie is unreal, she's definitely drawing in the crowds, especially those who have never heard of Les Mis before.

It's worldwide gross right now is like 115.4 million in a week.

:D considering sherlock is only 81 in the chart for biggest opening weekend, that's nothing to shout about.

It is doing well though and I look foward to seeing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D considering sherlock is only 81 in the chart for biggest opening weekend, that's nothing to shout about..

The previous poster was talking Christmas Day opening, not opening weekend.

Anyway, allowances have to made for it opening on Christmas Day as well, the first week's gross is more indicative.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been feeling fairly confident that the Les Mis movie will live up to my expectations, but after listening to the album on YouTube, I'm a little bit worried xD Some parts of the album are reasonably strong, but other parts are just awful :-X I understand that it is a movie though, so the singing doesn't need to be as "dramatic" as on the stage, so hopefully I'm over thinking it all and it'll be great :D
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The previous poster was talking Christmas Day opening, not opening weekend.

Anyway, allowances have to made for it opening on Christmas Day as well, the first week's gross is more indicative.

I know but it the grand scale of things it's not that good.

Lets wait until some more meaningful figures come out before we start quoting milestones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good enough for a musical and period piece, it's not even opened in the UK and other places yet, so...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really matter about box office takings. Just enjoy the movie.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum, dad and I are going on 12th Jan. We're all huge fans, I cannot wait. I've listened to Anne's full version of IDAD and think it's amazing. I love the emotion and intimacy in it, and you can really feel Fantine's pain.

We watched the special on ITV, and my mum commented that "Could they not have got someone better looking to play Marius?" Whilst he's not my cup of tea, poor Eddie :D

Those opening scenes with the boat look amazing though.
    Apparently its all singing for 2 and a half hours, rather than dialogue thrown in for good measure like Sweeney Todd, may give this a miss and wait for DVD.

It's a musical...
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Dreamed A Dream on time gone by
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just booked my tickets for the 11th - can't wait! I've seen Les Mis at the West End three times and absolutely loved it. The bit that gets me every time is the song Bring Him Home!

Thanks to duncann for review - was so interesting!
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »
    It opened at #1 on Christmas day and is the 2nd biggest Christmas day opening after Sherlock Holmes.

Got a source? The Hobbit is still top of the box office with Les Mis at 2 :)

Reckon it will be a Les Mis vs Lincoln battle at the awards this year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Les-Miserables-No--1-at-Christmas-Day-box-office--Django-Unchained-second/8932275

and info here
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lesmiserables2012.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Les Mis was number 1 on Christmas Day, the Hobbit topped the week as a whole.

I think awards are between Lincoln, Argo and Zero Dark Thirty. Les Mis should get the Golden Globe for best Picture (Comedy or Musical), but I doubt it'll win the Oscar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I can say about the awards, they are ALL Anne Hathaway's to lose. It will be a shock if she loses. Riots will be started lol.

About the other noms, I'm not so sure they'll win much....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Got my ticket for Friday, going with my Dad who isn't too keen on musicals. Hopefully he'll enjoy it, I know I will!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Epilogue' is amazing! (heard it from the soundtrack). I can't wait to see all this on screen.

Many disagree about 'On My Own' and 'One Day More' being directly after each other but it sounds like it links quite well.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Yes, I saw Gareth in the production (I've seen Les Mis many times) and I thought he was excellent.

It's just that I'm a big Michael Ball fan and have seen him in everything EXCEPT Les Misérables. I could have done as well. I was in London at the time he was in it and choosing a show and didn't fancy Les Mis at all (such a fool). I saw 42nd Street instead.

It was only afterwards after seeing Michael in Aspects of Love (he was wonderful) that I realised what I had missed. Grrrr. I would have loved to have seen him in that role, especially as I fell in love with Les Mis in later years.

There have been lots of excellent Mariuses of course over the years but it's just a regret of mine that I missed Michael. Oh well ...

I adore Michael Ball. I saw him for the first time live three years ago and was blown away. He is wonderful with his fans and his singing range is amazing. He always sings something from Les Mis, usually Empty Tables and never disappoints.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    As long as " a little fall of rain" done with proper duet ending twist features, I'll be happy. I always want to be the bad girl, Eponine over dopey Cosette, same with Rizzo over Sandy etc.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually seeing this Friday night now, not Saturday. Can't wait!
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard Hugh Jackman's 'Bring Him Home' on R2 this morning and Oh My God it was stunning. Not 'perfect', of course, but then it's not meant to be, but so emotional he completely nails it. Hopefully his whole performance is of the same quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had my tickets booked for weeks and weeks to see it on Friday in IMAX. Excited!!