✭✭✭
    Skyfall, the worst Bond movie ever made
    And as for the ending.....................................:o
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So we are left with this suggestion for ITV (and other broadcasters)

Make the timeslot fit the film rather than the film fit the timeslot.

Which, it appears, ITV did last night.

To demonstrate the 4% run time difference, Avengers Assemble is 143m, but tomorrow BBC One is putting it in a 130m slot.

They're not cutting nearly a quarter of an hour!
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get that to add up. 125 minutes of film = 120 minutes TV time. That leaves 18 minutes of film to fit in 10 minutes of TV time. The 4% would account for another 43 seconds of those 18 minutes so either my maths is wrong or something's still cut somewhere.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I can't get that to add up. 125 minutes of film = 120 minutes TV time. That leaves 18 minutes of film to fit in 10 minutes of TV time. The 4% would account for another 43 seconds of those 18 minutes so either my maths is wrong or something's still cut somewhere.

Skyfall's running time is 143m. The frame rate conversion reduces it to 137m.

It was in a 165m slot, so there's 28m left for breaks.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this film earlier and there was a scene where Bond spends the night with that woman who was connected to the Javier Bardem villain. Then all of a sudden they were captured and being led handcuffed to Javier Bardem.
    I just don't understand how that happened. I just didn't understand how that scene transition made sense.
    Perhaps I missed something, but even so that was a bit sudden.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    That's correct. One break during the first 30 minutes and another in the second 30 minutes. The third break would be in the 9-9.30pm slot.

A non film would be having its third break around 45m past the hour.

A film in a two hour slot would therefore have four breaks whilst a regular programme, six.

Ah I see, thought you meant every half four, as in first ad break no earlier than 8.30 then next one no earlier than 9.00 and so on. Two ad breaks an hour maximum in other words.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this film earlier and there was a scene where Bond spends the night with that woman who was connected to the Javier Bardem villain. Then all of a sudden they were captured and being led handcuffed to Javier Bardem.
    I just don't understand how that happened. I just didn't understand how that scene transition made sense.
    Perhaps I missed something, but even so that was a bit sudden.

Bond went onto the boat, slept with her then the next morning the goons on the boat tied them up.
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol at these people calling it boring and the worst Bond, get a clue.
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's me thinking ITV were hacking it to squeeze in some more DFS adverts to let plebs know they open at 9am Boxing Day. Some good replies in particular the 4% increased frame rate which I never knew...
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there going to be an uncut showing?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was cut ?

(and don't forget that the end titles are always sped up so that reduces running time even more )
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    Is there going to be an uncut showing?

Of course not - it's ITV they need to show it early to get more ratings and more DFS adverts.

If you want it uncut you would have to shell out for the DVD.
    Luckily its under £4 new on amazon - other sellers etc etc
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    This is why i stopped watching films on tv, too much editing. Only just got the Bond 50 blu-ray boxset in the Black Friday sales for 50 quid, minus Skyfall (as it was released just before it came out in theaters, but they left a space for it!) So will get it after i've watched them all. Might watch a Bond film every Wednesday night, no adverts, no DFS and no "James Bond continues after the news"
  • Options
    nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skyfall, the worst Bond movie ever made
    And as for the ending.....................................:o

Definitely over-rated but O.K.
    Picture quality even in HD not brilliant due to poor source material, digital throughout and computer generated imagery, Dr. No from 1962 is far better in the picture quality department proving 35mm/70mm film is still far superior to modern digital recordings. ;-)
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ Nostlagic: I can't reply by quoting as I am using a dongle with ultra slow internet at my parents place but loved the reply particularly the DFS bit. True its cheap to get the DVD I feel sorry for those who, forever reason have not seen it unspoiled.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    All movies that have been cut should have this Harry Enfield clip played before the movie starts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmRTUNh1vPo

Brilliant! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV have been chopping away at BTTF for years. It's a PG but they still hack out some if the best lines.

When this baby hits 88mph you're gonna see some serious shit.

Can't believe they still cut this line. It's the best line of the film.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of the modern Bond movies but this was OK, kind of a back to basics Bond. Liked how the ending reset the series for the future with the introduction of a new M & Q and the introduction of Moneypenny.
  • Options
    nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Of course not - it's ITV they need to show it early to get more ratings and more DFS adverts.

If you want it uncut you would have to shell out for the DVD.
    Luckily its under £4 new on amazon - other sellers etc etc

DVD?
    Don't you mean bluray?

720x576 v 1920x1080. Pick one :D
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Skyfall's running time is 143m. The frame rate conversion reduces it to 137m.

It was in a 165m slot, so there's 28m left for breaks.

Thank you but I was talking about Avengers Assemble rather than Skyfall!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has anyone said what was cut yet ?
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the modern Bond movies but this was OK, kind of a back to basics Bond. Liked how the ending reset the series for the future with the introduction of a new M & Q and the introduction of Moneypenny.

I'm not particularly a feminist or a Bond fan but when I saw this film on DVD last night I felt that the portrayal of both M and Moneypenny were retrograde steps for women in the franchise.

It certainly reset the series to the 1960s - no women in positions of power and a previously feisty and competent agent back in a safe desk job looking gorgeous.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anyone said what was cut yet ?

Pretty sure the F bomb would have been cut for starters, probably sound edits to violent scenes and the 'gay' interrogation scene from Silva was probably trimmed a good bit too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Pretty sure the F bomb would have been cut for starters, probably sound edits to violent scenes and the 'gay' interrogation scene from Silva was probably trimmed a good bit too.

the F word was cut , but there various "shits" left in and the gay interrogation stuff seemed intact .
    the film may have had slight trims but nothing noticeable .

was watching the pre-credits to Tomorrow Never Dies last night and they cut the whole scene where the back seat pilot tries to strangle him , all gone , Bond is being shot at by another plane and pesses a button and the other plane just bizarrely blows up !
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    This is why i stopped watching films on tv, too much editing. Only just got the Bond 50 blu-ray boxset in the Black Friday sales for 50 quid, minus Skyfall (as it was released just before it came out in theaters, but they left a space for it!) So will get it after i've watched them all. Might watch a Bond film every Wednesday night, no adverts, no DFS and no "James Bond continues after the news"

The 50th anniversary bluray set is excellent, great restoration of the classic films, classy box, how a film set should be done