Ola will return to SCD

Comments

• kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I agree with you, I have never been wowed by Ola's choreography, its all very samey and repetitive and she really gave the impression last year that she was hating every single second of being on the show

I agree. Not all good dancers make good choreographers. In some ways, her choreography is on a par with Anton's - she's good at the gimmicky, comic type thing.
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Not so sure I agree. The papers know how many people follow just about anything or anyone to do with Strictly. They're not interesting in selling news - they're only interested in selling papers! And anything Strictlyfied sells. Just think how much Strictly is still talked about now - nearly 6 months after the last show ended, and about 4 months before the next one starts.

Certainly not unlikely at least one journalist kept in touch with Ola's hospital & persuaded someone there to let them know when she would be leaving.

It's talked about on here - but I don't know anyone in 'real life' who is talking about it now or is interested until the next series starts. Even then, people I know talk about the celebs on it, not the pros. If I mention the pros most people - even ones who watch every week - say 'which one is that?' and barely notice or care when one pro leaves and new ones start. That's only my experience though, so I'm not saying it's the same with everyone. I just don't think that James and Ola are big enough names for anyone to bother paying a hospital worker to tip them off so they can take a pic of Ola in a leg cast. There's also the pics of them outside their house getting home from the hospital - that's not a random pap as they live somewhere in Kent don't they? In all the pics there is no indication that they were trying to hurry away from the cameras, hide their faces etc. which a lot of people might do when they come out of hospital feeling rough and not looking their best, to see an unexpected pap trying to take instrusive photos. All just IMO though :).
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure I agree. The papers know how many people follow just about anything or anyone to do with Strictly. They're not interesting in selling news - they're only interested in selling papers! And anything Strictlyfied sells. Just think how much Strictly is still talked about now - nearly 6 months after the last show ended, and about 4 months before the next one starts.

Certainly not unlikely at least one journalist kept in touch with Ola's hospital & persuaded someone there to let them know when she would be leaving.

I would hope not, else they could find themselves on the sticky end of some data protection and patient confidentiality policies - especially if the person concerned didn't want to be ambushed looking forlorn leaving hospital.

To be fair, Strictly isn't talked about that much outside of interested places. My Strictly Real life buddy isn't bothered - even in the pro changes. Various zelebs are doing the usual fishing of linking their name to Strictly to see if they get a nibble, but that's not unusual.

Personally, I think it's pretty much the same as when a zeleb is photographed on their walk to work or working out in the public park or the impromptu proposal at a street coffee shop table - someone on their PR team has let the rent-a-pap know (together with outfit details and cost). The pap turns up on time without any of that horrid hanging about in the rain, the celeb wears the appropriate expression and all go on their way quite happy. Not saying it's a bad thing - just it's more the way it seems to work these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    It's talked about on here - but I don't know anyone in 'real life' who is talking about it now or is interested until the next series starts. Even then, people I know talk about the celebs on it, not the pros. If I mention the pros most people - even ones who watch every week - say 'which one is that?' and barely notice or care when one pro leaves and new ones start. That's only my experience though, so I'm not saying it's the same with everyone. I just don't think that James and Ola are big enough names for anyone to bother paying a hospital worker to tip them off so they can take a pic of Ola in a leg cast. There's also the pics of them outside their house getting home from the hospital - that's not a random pap as they live somewhere in Kent don't they? In all the pics there is no indication that they were trying to hurry away from the cameras, hide their faces etc. which a lot of people might do when they come out of hospital feeling rough and not looking their best, to see an unexpected pap trying to take instrusive photos. All just IMO though :).

It took me so long to post, you said the same thing but better :D

My real life Strictly bud has watched since series one. She still identifies the pro's as 'him with the teeth', 'him with the bum', 'the Aussie lass', 'her that was with John Sargent'. The only ones I'd be confident she could actually name would be Anton and Brendan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    My real life Strictly bud has watched since series one. She still identifies the pro's as 'him with the teeth', 'him with the bum', 'the Aussie lass', 'her that was with John Sargent'. The only ones I'd be confident she could actually name would be Anton and Brendan.

LOL, sounds familiar - I also knew a few who thought Artem and Robin were the same person - 'the one with the muscles' :D
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have my suspicions as to where all the photos come from ;-) but just my suspicions as, of course, I have no proof! I cant imagine a hospital working tipping of the paps either, they are far too busy saving lives!
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Not all good dancers make good choreographers. In some ways, her choreography is on a par with Anton's - she's good at the gimmicky, comic type thing.

I thought Ola had a good year last year choreography wise.
    A Tango to Jive music, a Charleston to a dull repetitive song, a Paso to Rumba music, an American Smooth to Tango music and adapting to a celeb who had a locked ankle and wasn't a natural dancer.

I thought the Paso was particularly good. Ola did tell Steve to not be so aggressive and he tried what she suggested and agreed that it looked better, then danced it very aggressively on the show.

I rate Artem as a choreographer from his year with Kara. He wasn't as impressive choreographing for Fern. Ola hasn't had someone with potential and time to learn since Spoony in her first series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Ellie1967;78248732] It's talked about on here - but I don't know anyone in 'real life' who is talking about it now or is interested until the next series starts. Even then, people I know talk about the celebs on it, not the pros. If I mention the pros most people - even ones who watch every week - say 'which one is that?' and barely notice or care when one pro leaves and new ones start. That's only my experience though, so I'm not saying it's the same with everyone. I just don't think that James and Ola are big enough names for anyone to bother paying a hospital worker to tip them off so they can take a pic of Ola in a leg cast. There's also the pics of them outside their house getting home from the hospital - that's not a random pap as they live somewhere in Kent don't they? In all the pics there is no indication that they were trying to hurry away from the cameras, hide their faces etc. which a lot of people might do when they come out of hospital feeling rough and not looking their best, to see an unexpected pap trying to take instrusive photos. All just IMO though :).[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I find that surprising. I know lots of people who have no interest in dance except for Strictly, and they certainly know all the pros by name and picture, and usually have very strong opinions about most of them ..... And no, not one of them posts on DS. And if it was true that only people who post on here are interested in the pro dancers, you can be assured that they would never feature in the papers. The papers wouldn't bother with anyone if they thought that only a couple of dozen people would be interested.

The other reason I find that so difficult to understand is that all the shows that the Strictly pros have done - all 3 of Brendans, all of Vincent & Flavias, etc., have been sold out. Very few in the audience are other dancers (to be honest, very few dancers actually go to those shows), which sort of suggests that viewers do take notice of who the pros are. They'd hardly likely to flock to see the shows if they hadn't a clue who the dancers were.

As for only really being interested in the so-called "celebs" each year, I find most people haven't a clue who most of them are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, I find that surprising. I know lots of people who have no interest in dance except for Strictly, and they certainly know all the pros by name and picture, and usually have very strong opinions about most of them ..... And no, not one of them posts on DS. And if it was true that only people who post on here are interested in the pro dancers, you can be assured that they would never feature in the papers. The papers wouldn't bother with anyone if they thought that only a couple of dozen people would be interested.

The other reason I find that so difficult to understand is that all the shows that the Strictly pros have done - all 3 of Brendans, all of Vincent & Flavias, etc., have been sold out. Very few in the audience are other dancers (to be honest, very few dancers actually go to those shows), which sort of suggests that viewers do take notice of who the pros are. They'd hardly likely to flock to see the shows if they hadn't a clue who the dancers were.

As for only really being interested in the so-called "celebs" each year, I find most people haven't a clue who most of them are.
    Fair enough - as I said, that's only my experience. I know pros like Brendan, Vincent and Flavia have plenty of fans (although I think V & F have kind of surpassed Strictly and probably have fans who may never have seen Strictly and have just seen their brilliant shows in the West End) but the number of people who go and see Brendan or Pasha etc. in small local theatres is still a relatively small percentage of the Strictly audience, many of whom are only casual viewers. It's suprising who will go to see shows - at Dance To The Music the man in front of me thought Artem was Anton :D and several people seemed to have no idea what they would be seeing but had booked it as it was on in their local theatre.

I didn't mean to imply no one is interested in the pros at all, I just don't think they're the kind of 'A-List stars' who paps would genuinely chase or pay for tip-offs about where they would be etc. As aggs said, a lot of celebs arrange to be papped these days for self-promotion, so I just wouldn't be surprised if J & O do the same. Anyway, looking at the 'sidebar of shame' on the Daily mail site, I have no idea how the papers gauge what the public are interested in as they've had stories with pics about ex Towie cast members stepping over puddles before - so who knows?! :D:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Certain Strictly pros (Brendan, James and Ola, Kristina) have become more high profile than others but these things don't happen because the tabloids have decided to make them stars or because they have a bigger fanbase. These things happen because some of the pros, and their agents, have made a concerted effort to raise their profile using tabloid exposure. Most of the pros on Strictly want to be famous dancers but some want to extend their fame beyond the dance world. Can you imagine if Brendan, instead of Pasha, had run off with Rachel Riley? He would have been giving interviews about it a week later, unlike Pasha who only let the story come out when Strictly was coming back and he and Rachel would inevitably be seen together.

Given all the scandal and fighting that sometimes goes on backstage most of the Strictly pros are, in fact, remarkably discreet. Ola isn't in the tabloids because she's endlessly fascinating and well-loved, she's in the tabloids because she's decided to become a tabloid figure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough - as I said, that's only my experience. I know pros like Brendan, Vincent and Flavia have plenty of fans (although I think V & F have kind of surpassed Strictly and probably have fans who may never have seen Strictly and have just seen their brilliant shows in the West End) but the number of people who go and see Brendan or Pasha etc. in small local theatres is still a relatively small percentage of the Strictly audience, many of whom are only casual viewers. It's suprising who will go to see shows - at Dance To The Music the man in front of me thought Artem was Anton :D and several people seemed to have no idea what they would be seeing but had booked it as it was on in their local theatre.

I didn't mean to imply no one is interested in the pros at all, I just don't think they're the kind of 'A-List stars' who paps would genuinely chase or pay for tip-offs about where they would be etc. As aggs said, a lot of celebs arrange to be papped these days for self-promotion, so I just wouldn't be surprised if J & O do the same. Anyway, looking at the 'sidebar of shame' on the Daily mail site, I have no idea how the papers gauge what the public are interested in as they've had stories with pics about ex Towie cast members stepping over puddles before - so who knows?! :D:confused:

I think to some degree the Sidebar of Shame has to take what they are given. I'm sure that they would rather chart daily life of David Tennant but they have to make do with a rag tag of reality and ex-reality zelebs. Slightly higher rung celebs use them when they ha e something to promote - take Denise Van Outen, for few months she was regularly snapped walking down the street or coming out of work but she hasn't appeared for ages, as far as I can remember. Now, I shouldn't think she has stopped walking down a street, showcasing her pins and rocking her tresses, it's just that she has nothing to promote at the minute so can go out without having to pose and rock ;-)
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's my take too and to be honest I'm amazed that people don't think someone in Ola's hospital wouldn't tip a reporter the wink for extra cash. How do people think reporters get leads??? In any walk of life there will be people willing to take that risk and that's always been the case.

Also, do people not realise the power of the showbiz gossip pages on the DM website? Despite the Daily Fail being a newspaper I wouldn't read even if it was free, it does have the best gossip pages and it is ALWAYS gunning for Strictly. At the moment the target is once again Kristina and Ben. During the series there will be several 'stories' running at any time, none of which will show the victim or the programme in a good light. Even past celebs get dragged through the gutter - Chelsea and Natalie from EE come immediately to mind. Artem and Kara were a long running saga. Ola's knee injury was a big one for them because it was following the celebs taking part in The Jump, but they love showing her calendar every year. Anton has always been a prime target because of his partners. Tess is followed like a hawk. Honestly, it's like all the gossip magazines rolled in to one. I can only assume I live in a different world and it's not a age thing because I'm no youngster and I can have a conversation at the hairdressers and the DM online is where people read about this kind of stuff. Even people (okay women) I chat to who don't watch the show know what's going on with the main players. Even pros aren't in the news very often, still make the gossip pages because of the events they attend.

PS Sorry, stepping off my soap box now :p
    PSS ***WAVES*** to Kaycee! :D
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's been explained that the majority of the 'celebs' that appear in the DM sidebar of shame most likely do so because of some arrangement between them and the paps. I mean does anyone really think the paps need tip offs as to where any of the Kardashians/Jenners or people from TOWIE, MIC, CBB etc are for them to be as ubiquitous as they are?

So nah, I'm still not convinced that Ola and James are in the tabloids because they're being followed around by 'roving reporters' who get tip offs and think they're hot property - they're in the tabloids because they want to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I think it's been explained that the majority of the 'celebs' that appear in the DM sidebar of shame most likely do so because of some arrangement between them and the paps. I mean does anyone really think the paps need tip offs as to where any of the Kardashians/Jenners are for them to be as ubiquitous as they are?

So nah, I'm still not convinced that Ola and James are in the tabloids because they're being followed around by 'roving reporters' who get tip offs and think they're hot property - they're in the tabloids because they want to be.

I doubt very much if they are followed around by 'roving reporters' (not sure where that came from), but I do think their agent will have arranged for Ola to be photographed leaving hospital and as I said before, don't see anything wrong with that. The post about the DM side bar was made while I was typing my post (I'm a slow typist on a tablet and got interrupted!) and although I agree to some extent about set up photo ops (especially for 'celebs' who are famous for being on shows like TOWIE, etc.), I don't think that's the case a lot of the time, plus most of what appears in the side bar has appeared in the main section at some point. But this is a pointless discussion. All I'm saying is every time someone from the show is papped, it's not always a set up and that includes the Jordans, but I doubt if we'll ever agree about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much if they are followed around by 'roving reporters' (not sure where that came from), but I do think their agent will have arranged for Ola to be photographed leaving hospital and as I said before, don't see anything wrong with that. The post about the DM side bar was made while I was typing my post (I'm a slow typist on a tablet and got interrupted!) and although I agree to some extent about set up photo ops (especially for 'celebs' who are famous for being on shows like TOWIE, etc.), I don't think that's the case a lot of the time, plus most of what appears in the side bar has appeared in the main section at some point. But this is a pointless discussion. All I'm saying is every time someone from the show is papped, it's not always a set up and that includes the Jordans, but I doubt if we'll ever agree about this.

Oh ok, because before - you said you were 'amazed' that posters didn't think that someone from the hospital had tipped the 'reporters' off - that's where my comment came from - but like you seem to think now - it was more likely Ola's PR who arranged the photo opportunity for the Jordans on that occasion.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given all the hoo ha last year over various comments and their plans before the skiing accident, I think the BBC have been very gracious and mature in allowing Ola back. Now she is the perfect professional to work with a duffer without the whinging of someone being set up to fail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Given all the hoo ha last year over various comments and their plans before the skiing accident, I think the BBC have been very gracious and mature in allowing Ola back. Now she is the perfect professional to work with a duffer without the whinging of someone being set up to fail.

That's my opinion too - I think she's very, very lucky to be back and I hope she realises this. If she does get a duffer - as long as they have a pleasant personality - I don't think it'll be any hardship for her.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see 'gracious and mature' having anything to do with it.

If BBC are having her back it is because they believe her to be a benefit to the programme. Presumably because of her perceived popularity. Somewhat along the lines of Anton and Brendan.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Can't see 'gracious and mature' having anything to do with it.

If BBC are having her back it is because they believe her to be a benefit to the programme. Presumably because of her perceived popularity. Somewhat along the lines of Anton and Brendan.

No pro is bigger than the show, and Ola would do well to remember that. If she was dropped from the line-up, Strictly would carry on regardless.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my opinion too - I think she's very, very lucky to be back and I hope she realises this. If she does get a duffer - as long as they have a pleasant personality - I don't think it'll be any hardship for her.
    johartuk wrote: »
    No pro is bigger than the show, and Ola would do well to remember that. If she was dropped from the line-up, Strictly would carry on regardless.

Good posts and for what its worth, I'm sorry she is returning.
    The sad, tearful, simpering expression for the paps really annoys me.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »

Some of them seem bulletproof though, no matter how popular they are on here, Anton and Brendan are back each year. Perhaps Ola can now be added to this list.

I like her, so I'm glad whatever the reasons the BBC have for bringing her back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my take too and to be honest I'm amazed that people don't think someone in Ola's hospital wouldn't tip a reporter the wink for extra cash. How do people think reporters get leads??? In any walk of life there will be people willing to take that risk and that's always been the case.

Also, do people not realise the power of the showbiz gossip pages on the DM website? Despite the Daily Fail being a newspaper I wouldn't read even if it was free, it does have the best gossip pages and it is ALWAYS gunning for Strictly. At the moment the target is once again Kristina and Ben. During the series there will be several 'stories' running at any time, none of which will show the victim or the programme in a good light. Even past celebs get dragged through the gutter - Chelsea and Natalie from EE come immediately to mind. Artem and Kara were a long running saga. Ola's knee injury was a big one for them because it was following the celebs taking part in The Jump, but they love showing her calendar every year. Anton has always been a prime target because of his partners. Tess is followed like a hawk. Honestly, it's like all the gossip magazines rolled in to one. I can only assume I live in a different world and it's not a age thing because I'm no youngster and I can have a conversation at the hairdressers and the DM online is where people read about this kind of stuff. Even people (okay women) I chat to who don't watch the show know what's going on with the main players. Even pros aren't in the news very often, still make the gossip pages because of the events they attend.

PS Sorry, stepping off my soap box now :p
    PSS ***WAVES*** to Kaycee! :D

Kaycee WAVING back! Hi Buddy - how are you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The bbc are not "allowing" Ola back because they are 'gracious and mature'. They are allowing her back because she generates lots of publicity and that's what all tv channels want.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bbc are not "allowing" Ola back because they are 'gracious and mature'. They are allowing her back because she generates lots of publicity and that's what all tv channels want.

I'm hard pushed to think of any positive publicity Ola brought to BBC/SCD last year.
    Can anyone? :confused:

She was bloomin' lucky to be offered another contract and I'll be happy if her partner is first out the door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok, because before - you said you were 'amazed' that posters didn't think that someone from the hospital had tipped the 'reporters' off - that's where my comment came from - but like you seem to think now - it was more likely Ola's PR who arranged the photo opportunity for the Jordans on that occasion.

No, I said I'm amazed that people think leaks don't come from people like hospital staff and in other walks of life, but that if her agent did arrange the photo op on this occasion, then I don't see what's wrong with that. It doesn't mean I think every photo we see of the Jordans (or anyone else from the show is a set up). Please don't read more into my words than is there or start twisting them to suit your point of view - which I respect btw even if we don't always agree.

Must admit I'm surprised she was asked back because of James' reaction to what appeared to be going on, but obviously I'm glad she has been asked back because I think she gets the best out of her celebs. It will be a business decision though and nothing else.
    Kaycee WAVING back! Hi Buddy - how are you?

Will PM you. ;-)