Options

Why all the hatred on River Song??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Every thread i seem to look at has at least 1 dig at River Song for some reason. Why does no-one like her?? I didn't her character was too bad i didn't think she was outstansing but certainly didn't hate her.

Comments

• Options
    BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt mind her either, i dont get why people on here hate her so much.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I have said elsewhere, she can't be hated that much as she finished 9th in the top 100 nu who characters survivors game here last year. Had she been that hated she would have been voted out right at the start. I'm not a fan of the character especially, but I'd say those that actually hate her are just your usual vocal minority.

I don't think threads like this help though, tbh, as you;ve just given them another opportunity to slate the character.....;)
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because she's deeply irritating, sweetie.
  • Options
    ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every thread i seem to look at has at least 1 dig at River Song for some reason. Why does no-one like her?? I didn't her character was too bad i didn't think she was outstansing but certainly didn't hate her.

Takes all kinds, doesn't it ? I like the character of River and think that Alex Kingston is an accomplished actress and a particularly attractive woman; I also absolutely loathe Donna Kebab and think Catherine Tate is totally mis-cast as a Doctor assistant.

Horses for courses....

D
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Jealousy :p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely do not hate her....okay I am not exactly jumping with joy about her, but I'd rather see her in Who than Sally Sparrow, who I feel didn't really stand out as a unique character to me, while River, if slightly smug, does have a personality that makes her stand out as River. Probably why some don't like her.

But i have to say, that I really didn't want to see her return to Who, no other reason than that I liked the mystery of what went on between her and the Doctor....I like that sense of unknown and unseen adventures. But she is coming back, Moff has a plan for her and that is fine. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    ....I really didn't want to see her return to Who, no other reason than that I liked the mystery of what went on between her and the Doctor....I like that sense of unknown and unseen adventures. ...

...Prepare to be disappointed...

(unashamed strategic snipping, there...) :D

D
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I don't think threads like this help though, tbh, as you;ve just given them another opportunity to slate the character.....;)

I'm not into shooting ducks in a barrel, thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not into shooting ducks in a barrel, thanks.

Harsh !

River Song was scripted as being smug and self-important. If she came over that way, it's because of the way she was written. If a pint pot holds a pint, it's doing the best it can !!

D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ductur wrote: »
    Harsh !

River Song was scripted as being smug and self-important. If she came over that way, it's because of the way she was written. If a pint pot holds a pint, it's doing the best it can !!

D

That wasn't harsh. Just saying it's easy to slate her in a thread that's pretty much an open invitation to say why you don't like her. I'd rather slip it in unexpectedly.

And yes, of course that's show she was scripted. I don't blame Alex Kingston for River Song, I blame Steven Moffat.

(But no doubt it's all RTD's fault. ;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I'd rather slip it in unexpectedly....

OOhh EErrr. I bet you would...

(I could be a copy editor for The Sun with my snipping skills....)

D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OOhh EErrr. I bet you would...

(I could be a copy editor for The Sun with my snipping skills....)

D

You'd lose that bet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd lose that bet!

Say no more... Nudge. nudge, wink, wink... man of the world are you.? Into "photography" are you..? nudge, nudge, wink, wink... LOL

D
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't 'hate' her but this sums it up for me too, I'm not keen on Alex Kingston anyway but I can usually suspend belief as I tend to think of the character not the actor. I just thought the character was smug and unlikeable.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harsh !

D

Martha often came over as wooden, was she written that way or was it Freema? I'm thinking of the 'I'm bringing you back to Earth' line *shudder* the most obvious example.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I didnt mind her either, i dont get why people on here hate her so much.

Agreed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just thought of something.

What if, the Doctor/River song companion thing is out of synch as well?

He met her after she met him, but what if after that they just kept bumping into the other ones future selves and past selves?

I've heard that
    The Doc will give river the book and future sonic at the end of series 1/30 something/ 5.

But she could stay on, as in. He meets her when she dies, meets her the first time. Says good bye to her another time then she goes off to get killed. Meets her again for various other adventures. in between meeting her and her dieing in her timeline but after them in his.

Any thoughts? (i should really be asking. Anyone understand?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Your opinion

Personally I loved River Song and I'm looking forward to seeing her again.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I think some people are having some kind of subliminal reaction to the character of River Song knowing what's going to happen in the future, and not telling the fans :D
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also the fact that she is pretty much an inferior copy of the books and audios companion, Professor Bernice Summerfield. If they needed to bring in a bolshy archeologist, I can't see why they didn't just use Benny.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well "at least one dig" hardly means "no-one likes her". Besides any post on any subject will always generate a post filled with hatred, it's one of the laws of the internet. :D
  • Options
    HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also the fact that she is pretty much an inferior copy of the books and audios companion, Professor Bernice Summerfield. If they needed to bring in a bolshy archeologist, I can't see why they didn't just use Benny.

There could be many reasons why Moff didn't use her, two off the top of my head are that perhaps he wanted a new character with a different back story, or maybe he didn't want the flack from fans complaining that the character of Benny wasn't the same as the books and so he should have used a new character. :)

I quite liked River, and I'm curious to find out what influenced the character to make her the way she was the last time she was with the doctor :)
  • Options
    KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised at the atitude to her.

I found her a sexy wonderful woman.

I am looking forward to seeing more of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Maybe they didn't use Professor Bernice Summerfield because they couldn't get the rights to use the character from the original author? Maybe they realised that character wouldn't work for what they had planned with the Doctor.

I think River was written to be smug for a reason. Wouldn't you be smug if you met someone who you knew but they didn't know you. The Doctor comes across as somebody that knows everything, but she knows more than him about this situation. She has his future sonic screwdriver, she has the book all about her travels with him and its all things he wants to know about but can't. Like I say, wouldn't you be a little bit smug in that situation?

I too am looking forward to River's return, I think she's the most interesting character to come from New Who, and I can't understand people's hatred for her.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have only seen the Library stories once, but my memory of River is that she was quite likeable.

I have no idea what was supposed to have happened to her at the end of the story, but am not letting that trouble me. (She was scampering round some gardens in a floaty dress: was she dead? Was it a dream? Was she saved in a computer memory? If so, does that mean she is dead? ... don't write in)

I fail to see why she narks people. Maybe I ought to see the Library episodes again to get a second opinion? (Not sure I can be bothered though).