Options

BBC3: Should it be axed or kept?

TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
Forum Member
Judging by some of the posts in many threads, this particular BBC channel http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/schedules does get a lot of attention.

This channel is aimed at young adults and provides a variety of entertainment and factual programming which is unique amongst channels aimed at such an audience.

I have therefore prepared a poll about this channel and I'd be interested to hear any (polite and reasoned) comments below.

My own views are that this channel ought to stay, that this audience ought to be catered for by the BBC (especially as they are licence fee payers too) and that this channel is actually quite popular for a digital channel so I can't be all that bad (4.5 million weekly viewing audience): http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyViewing?_s=3

Should the BBC keep or axe BBC3? 164 votes

Yes, BBC3 should be kept
70% 115 votes
No, BBC3 should be axed
29% 49 votes

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it does a far better job at catering for younger viewers than E4, which is just garbage, and ITV2, though this isn't as banal as it was a few years ago.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm nowhere near its target demographic, but I'd say keep it.

K
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I understand the need for such a channel, but it's 99% shite. Get someone in to fix it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest i only watch it for the festival stuff & Family Guy everything else is too Chavtastic ie Dont tell the bride, worlds strictest parents,Coming of Age,2 pints.......
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have only just started watching Family Guy the last month on BBC3 and am really enjoying them.
    Its also on another channel called FX to though so if BBC3 goes I wonder if it could go to BBC2 or might just stay on FX.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Keep, it gets teens watching documentaries and occasionally produces fictional gems (Being Human, The Mighty Boosh, Torchwood etc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think it does a far better job at catering for younger viewers than E4, which is just garbage, and ITV2, though this isn't as banal as it was a few years ago.

I think that's a fair summary, Glenn A, and so far the poll shows 78% in favour of keeping BBC3 and 22% in favour of axing the channel so it appears that there's quite a bit of support out there for BBC3. :)
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another keep from me (would you have expected anything less?). As I explained before, the loss of BBC Three would mean its programming would not fit in with the older demographics of its other main channels, effectively young adults would be sidelined from the BBC, which when this audience grows up, will make it easier for vested interests to be able to call for the end of PSB and the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    To be honest i only watch it for the festival stuff & Family Guy everything else is too Chavtastic ie Dont tell the bride, worlds strictest parents,Coming of Age,2 pints.......
    BBC Three has improved in the last few years. There was a time when I called it "BBC Two Pints" because that was pretty much the only show that was on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they'll ditch BBC4 personally.
    Although i think it shows some sublime programmes (the pol pot executioner documentary was fasinating ) i just dont believe the ratings are as high for other channrls so i think it will be sacrificed.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Keep it. I'm very much a 'night-time' person in the target demographic, and BBC3 helps to keep me sane during the dark nocturnal hours. I think I'd actually have to try and force myself into a regular sleeping pattern if it got axed:o.

Granted, some of the content is pretty mindless, but when you're up watching TV/browsing the web until 3-4 in the morning that's exactly what I want. They also produce some great documentaries in my opinion which actually do improve my world knowledge (the recent 'Misbehaving Mums-To-Be' not counted, as all that did was fill me with shock and bemusement that any prospective mum could be so stupid about issues such as smoking).
  • Options
    patpendingpatpending Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC3 is too expensive in its current form - the Guardian, which is generally sympathetic to state broadcasting, said so last year.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/tvandradioblog/2010/mar/02/bbc3-6-music-strategic-review

What it is doing - chasing a young audience - can and should be catered for by the private sector.

The cost per viewer hour could be as high as 19p (Guardian quoted here last year)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1237344

The licence fee is already perhaps double what it should be. The licence fee payer should not be subsidising BBC3.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be axed and BBC Choice should return.
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I think the intention and remit of the channel is an excellent ideal, but the majority of the programming is terrible, and 80% of it repeats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patpending wrote: »
    What it is doing - chasing a young audience - can and should be catered for by the private sector.
    a) Please name one serious documentary, political debate or current affairs programme aired on a commercial channel aimed at a young adult audience (ie. ITV2, E4)?

b) Young adults pay a licence fee too.
  • Options
    FlannyFlanny Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should keep it because it's my favourite channel. There's been some good shows on it recently like Family Guy, American Dad, Angry Boys, Bizzare Er, Ideal & Coming Of Age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It should be axed and BBC Choice should return.

I have to differ there linkinpark875 and I think it is unfortunate that the BBC apparently gave in to populist pressure and axed BBC Switch on Saturdays on BBC2 which catered for the younger feed-in audience for BBC3. I'd be quite happy to see that service reinstated (even if it upsets the Daily Mail).

I also have to agree with tghe-retford's point above that it is essential to keep such a channel so that the younger audience grows up with, and stays attached to, the BBC so that they are still watching BBC channels even when they start wearing cardigans and slippers (fortunately, I'm not at that stage - phew! :p).
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rational choice of axings would be BBC4 and move its programmes to BBC2, which was the previous home of the highbrow stuff on the BBC and has been made pointless by the creation of 3 and 4.

There is definitely an argument that a great deal of BBC3's output is complete crap - as that article says, TV for the young shouldn't mean TV for the stupid, and it's stretching things slightly to say shows like Snog Marry Avoid and Hotter Than My Daughter have any public service remit whatsoever, and they're easily cheap enough to be made by E4, as are those fact-lite, opinion-led, so-called "documentaries" they churn out. If E4 got its act together, then that could all be catered for in the commercial sector.

However, there's also an argument that the good stuff wouldn't have happened if BBC3 didn't exist. Gavin & Stacey and Pulling might well have happened on BBC2, but there's no way on earth they'd have ever tried Being Human, they barely even put any effort in on BBC3, and they axed Pulling despite good ratings and critical acclaim. And all of that stuff is far too much for E4, who can just about produce two home-made drama series a year without before bankruptcy beckons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    ...and it's stretching things slightly to say shows like Snog Marry Avoid and Hotter Than My Daughter have any public service remit whatsoever, and they're easily cheap enough to be made by E4, as are those fact-lite, opinion-led, so-called "documentaries" they churn out. If E4 got its act together, then that could all be catered for in the commercial sector.
    Time to bring out this corker of a post I made to an accusation that Snog Marry Avoid could be done in the commercial sector:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=48797737&postcount=3

Try putting on a programme on a commercial channel which actively advises its audience to use less of a product advertised on (and funding) that channel, and I'll wager you'll have a mutiny from the fashion, beauty and make-up industry before too long - at a time when television broadcasters can ill-afford to lose advertising revenue. Same reason why Secrets of the Superbrands or any in-depth investigation exposing the wrong-doings of an organisation would never see the light of day on a commercial channel.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to bring out this corker of a post I made to an accusation that Snog Marry Avoid could be done in the commercial sector:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=48797737&postcount=3

Try putting on a programme on a commercial channel which actively advises its audience to use less of a product advertised on (and funding) that channel, and I'll wager you'll have a mutiny from the fashion, beauty and make-up industry before too long - at a time when television broadcasters can ill-afford to lose advertising revenue. Same reason why Secrets of the Superbrands or any in-depth investigation exposing the wrong-doings of an organisation would never see the light of day on a commercial channel.

That would be relevant if this was the US where advertisers have that level of control. In 20 years I can only think of one advertiser that withdrew from a show (Becks from Queer As Folk in 1999).

In any case, if a show was getting 2m+ on Channel 4 (as crap like 10 Years Younger did) other companies would advertise even if makeup companies didn't, and Snog Marry Avoid doesn't advise people to stop using makeup or buying clothes at all, it just says tone it down as do a legion of other makeover shows on commercial channels.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Keep!

There's a lot of good PSB documentaries on BBC 3 - the commercial "equivalents" wont do these!
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditch both BBC3 and 4 and save the best of its output for BBC1 and 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Ditch both BBC3 and 4 and save the best of its output for BBC1 and 2.
    And how would programmes which are targeted at a young adult audience fit into other channels whose demographics are aimed at older audiences? Answer - they won't and as I warned earlier, the BBC becomes a non-entity to an entire generation.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how would programmes which are targeted at a young adult audience fit into other channels whose demographics are aimed at older audiences? Answer - they won't and as I warned earlier, the BBC becomes a non-entity to an entire generation.
    um wouldnt the answer be to loose any idea of channels being aimed at demographics.

Also CBBC on BBC 1, has done very well for decades, with the use of CBBC branding, and studio between the programs.

If we still had the blobs, I would suggest branding parts of BBC 2 with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    That would be relevant if this was the US where advertisers have that level of control. In 20 years I can only think of one advertiser that withdrew from a show (Becks from Queer As Folk in 1999).

In any case, if a show was getting 2m+ on Channel 4 (as crap like 10 Years Younger did) other companies would advertise even if makeup companies didn't, and Snog Marry Avoid doesn't advise people to stop using makeup or buying clothes at all, it just says tone it down as do a legion of other makeover shows on commercial channels.
    I can't think of one commercial organisation which would actively turn down or away a revenue stream unless they saw it as immoral, unethical and damaging to the brand, which lets admit, make up and fashion doesn't do.

With the downturn in advertising and relaxation of sponsorship and product placement in the UK, I would actively say that advertisers have greater control over the broadcasters than they have ever had,