Options

Router not showing other networked computers

Digi DanDigi Dan Posts: 988
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I need to connect 3 computers to one network socket, I've got a new Netgear router connected to the network box and connected the 3 computers to it.

Now, the 3 computers can get online, no problem - although that's not really why I need them networked, its just to be able to file share with other networked computers.

When any of the computers are connected directly to the network socket through a direct connection (no router) - they can see all the networked computers, even if there in different workgroup names.

But when I connect the same computer through the router, they don't see any of the other computers connected elsewhere on the network - but like I say, they can go online.

Is there any particular setting(s) that needs to be changed on the router?

Comments

• Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,428
    Forum Member
    So if i'm understanding this rightly you have an ethernet socket on the wall that is providing a working connection to any of the PCs once they are patched into it, but when you add the router it all goes pear shaped?

If this is the case then the answer is simple, you are using the wrong kit. A switch is what you need not a router, but you should be checking with whoever manages the network before you go plugging anything into it as you have the potential to cause a whole heap of problems.