Options

Where Would You Go?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't been abroad since 2001. Recently i have been feeling very bored and depressed and wanting a change of scene, also fed up with the miserable UK weather. I fancy a 7 day break abroad, somewhere in Europe and relatively cheap as i have to budget i'm afraid. Where would you go? Any good websites for cheap package holidays?

Comments

• Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallorca
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd do a double trip if I had the time and money. A week in one and a week in another.

In Europe I'd like to go to Germany (Berlin), France (Paris), Italy (Rome) or Belgium (Brussels). I've already been to Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Greece and Switzerland but they would be on my list too. These places aren't typically hot though, apart from France I guess.

Cheap travel - Take the Megabus to Boulogne, Paris, Amsterdam, Gent or Brussels if you don't mind long journeys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd do a double trip in that week. A few days in one place, a few days in another. If I had the time and money I'd do a week in one and a week in the other.

I'd go to Germany, France or Belgium, Brussels specifically

The weather isn't much better there than in England. If OP wants sun and an uplifting cheap beach holiday, I'd recommend Mallorca. It has lots of beautiful almost untouched parts. The weather is always great, the beaches are lovely and it's cheap!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    The weather isn't much better there than in England. If OP wants sun and an uplifting cheap beach holiday, I'd recommend Mallorca. It has lots of beautiful almost untouched parts. The weather is always great, the beaches are lovely and it's cheap!

Oh I wasn't thinking about sun as I don't like sunny places most of the time. :o

For sun then Spain, Portugal, Italy or France (did you mean to include France when you said the weather isn't good? I always assumed it was!)
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    You can normally get good deals to the Costa Brava and it's quite close to Barcelona if you fancy a bit of city life too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Budapest? Lovely weather, cheap food, drink and public transport. Great weather at the moment too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I wasn't thinking about sun as I don't like sunny places most of the time. :o

For sun then Spain, Portugal, Italy or France (did you mean to include France when you said the weather isn't good? I always assumed it was!)

South of France is beautiful, but not as cheap as Spain or the nearby islands
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallorca will be great in June and July. Still a bit cool in May.

Gets pretty hot in August.

It is really miserable in winter. We had some really vile weather in winter when we lived there. Not a place for winter sun

OP - do you want a beach, touring or a city break or a bit of each?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Barcelona
    this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the last 5 years we have been to Barcelona & Malta. Both are really nice.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I haven't been abroad since 2001. Recently i have been feeling very bored and depressed and wanting a change of scene, also fed up with the miserable UK weather. I fancy a 7 day break abroad, somewhere in Europe and relatively cheap as i have to budget i'm afraid. Where would you go? Any good websites for cheap package holidays?

Croatia , a little bit of heaven on earth
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malta usually has brilliant weather, and you should be able to get some deals for there.

Otherwise I would also recommend Mallorca, it's not all party resorts - there are some lovely, quieter places on the coast that are perfect for a relaxing break.

Barcelona's probably the best option if you want more of a city break as it combines city and beach, but I doubt you'd get many package deals. It is easy to get to though, would just involve a bit more work on your part to book flights and hotel separately and negotiate public transport from the airport (though that's easy).
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona

Barcelona is fantastic city but maybe not the best choice for a budget destination. If the OP just wants sunshine, relaxation and value for money then I'd look elsewhere - one of the Balearic islands or the Costas.

If you are travelling on your own then I'd stay away from package holidays as they are designed for couples and families. For solo travel it's much cheaper and convenient to book flights and accommodation separately.