How to complain to Ofcom? E-cigarette advert

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do I compain and anybody else going to compain?

Comments

• Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What grounds are there for complaint? So long as it complied with the new regulations, the advertiser has done nothing wrong.

Some people just seem to like jumping aboard the offended bus.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    What grounds are there for complaint? So long as it complied with the new regulations, the advertiser has done nothing wrong.

Some people just seem to like jumping aboard the offended bus.

Glamourising smoking. E-cigarettes are just as bad as Tobacco cigs.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

why do you want to complain about it
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are intending to complain, it is the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) you need to complain to, not Ofcom.

http://www.asa.org.uk
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new regulations allow e-cigarattes to be shown. You've no grounds for a complaint to Ofcom or anyone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    If you are intending to complain, it is the ASA you need to complain to, not Ofcom.

http://www.asa.org.uk

Thanks will try that.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANOTHER linkinpark Crusade!!:cool::kitty:
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No they are not, as nicotine is about as harmful as caffeine & the other substances put in E Liquids are the same used for everyday food preservatives. Also with even the highest strength liquids, you get far less nicotine than you do in a cigarette as you don't feel obliged to finish the whole thing.

I used to be a heavy smoker 20+ for almost 20 years, every one I lit up I finished as I hated the taste of relighting one that had gone out. Next month marks 1 year of me Vaping instead of smoking.

My lungs are clearer than they have been in years, no coughing up phlegm every morning,

I don't get wheezy or out of breath unless I have been exercising or walking up a steep hill,

My teeth & gums are healthier

My clothes, curtains & home no longer smells of tobacco.

Also due to the e-liquids costing about £4 per week, where as before I was spending £7 per day, I have more money in my bank.

Yes there may become a time when they are regulated to pharmaceutical standard, but until that happens, I fully encourage those who wish to give up, but also wish to have the warmth sensation going down their throats while holding something similar to a cigarette, then I strongly suggest E-Cigs.

E Cigs are Vaping steam & not inhaling smoke !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they are not, as nicotine is about as harmful as caffeine & the other substances put in E Liquids are the same used for everyday food preservatives. Also with even the highest strength liquids, you get far less nicotine than you do in a cigarette as you don't feel obliged to finish the whole thing.

I used to be a heavy smoker 20+ for almost 20 years, every one I lit up I finished as I hated the taste of relighting one that had gone out. Next month marks 1 year of me Vaping instead of smoking.

My lungs are clearer than they have been in years, no coughing up phlegm every morning,

I don't get wheezy or out of breath unless I have been exercising or walking up a steep hill,

Also due to the e-liquids costing about £4 per week, where as before I was spending £7 per day, I have more money in my bank.

Yes there may become a time when they are regulated to pharmaceutical standard, but until that happens, I fully encourage those who wish to give up, but also wish to have the warmth sensation going down their throats while holding something similar to a cigarette, then I strongly suggest E-Cigs.

But surely things like patches to stop smoking is much more effective which means zero cost if someone quits smoking altogether?

If people kee switching the government will soon tax e-cigs too.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you even have been aware of this if the news didn't carry the story all day?

The ad is legal, not offensive and breaks no rules. No grounds for complaint.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet someone complained about the red tip on candy cigarettes as "glorifying smoking" as well.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member

There are many things I think are wrong,and many things that I dont like.
    As long as they are legal,I guess people other than myself like these things - So I wouldnt dream of complaining
    You should try this sometime
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I bet someone complained about the red tip on candy cigarettes as "glorifying smoking" as well.

Actually that is why they were stopped!:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guessed that. ;-)

I'm still tempted to stand in a crowd take a draw on a candy stick though, especially on a nice cold morning where my breath would be visible. :D
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll just laugh at you as well.

Can't you just find a hobby instead of finding silly things to moan about.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it attract non smokers, especially under 16s, if so there's your grounds for complaint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    They'll just laugh at you as well.

Can't you just find a hobby instead of finding silly things to moan about.

That isn't a hobby?
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its not the nicotine content that people are worried about, it is the chemical composition of the liquids that are a cause of concern as the scientific research into these are so far inconclusive - but do tend to show that they are not without possible risks:-

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/health-risks-e-cigarettes-emerge

I will also add that I was a 20 a day smoker for years but successfully gave up (after a few attemps using gum and the like) 2 and a half years ago and was able to do it cold turkey (which I don't recommend, the withdrawal symptoms were terrible, especially for the first 40-45 days) because one day I just felt in my heart - rather than my head - that I really didn't want to be spend £35+ a week on ciggies anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not the nicotine content that people are worried about, it is the chemical composition of the liquids that are a cause of concern as the scientific research into these are so far inconclusive - but do tend to show that they are not without possible risks:-...

Are you sure that some are not simply concerned with making "placing an object between one's lips like a real cigarette" look fashionable again?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Oh my god. . . . .
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    He's right though. But the rules would need tightening to stop them.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the simplest way round it is place the ad after 9pm?

I remember seeing a similar ad (advertising the product only - was an E-Cig) before at 7.15pm couple months ago, if we are going down the route that these are similar to cigarettes then I personally would put these ads on after 9pm
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    ANOTHER linkinpark Crusade!!:cool::kitty:

Yet more Linkinpark attention seeking. Even if it was OFCOM who you complain to, their contact details are on their website. Why he couldnt visit there and answer his own question, God only knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally Ofcom act

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30595394

Seems these companies want to glamourise smoking again. Disgusting.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally Ofcom act

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30595394

Seems these companies want to glamourise smoking again. Disgusting.

That's not Ofcom, it's the ASA.