Laptop Overheating

DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

My brother has a EasyNote MZ36-T011 laptop, and recently his laptop has been shutting down randomly, due to overheating I believe. He's had it for about a year.

His laptop has always blown out exceptionally hot air out of the fan on the left, but he's never had any problems with overheating. At first I suspected it may be automatic shutdown due to system failure, but having enabled the BSOD to appear instead, it still shut down.

Having downloaded SpeedFan (www.almico.com/speedfan), it is showing his hard drive is operating at 40°c and has a green tick next to it. I'm assuming this means it's fine ;)

Next to Core 0 and Core 1 (I'm assuming his two processor cores), they're operating at 63°c, and this has no green tick, but a little fire symbol next to it. Not good, I'm guessing.

Finally, next to a field that simply states "Temp1", it's at a massive 83°c. Again, not good. So does it need a new fan? Should I take it back to PC World for them to repair it? Although I suspect that they'll try to overcharge me for their lame PC Techs service...

So what is the average temperature the inside of a laptop should be running at? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is the laptop? Could the vents do with a clean out with an air duster? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126564

Packard Bell laptops do tend to run quite hot though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I want to know if laptops blowing out hot air is a normal thing. My laptop has been doing it for as long as I remember, but I seem to be the only person who cant take my laptop into uni due to the noise!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My laptop always blows out hot air. I think one fan draws in cold air, whilst the other fan sucks out the hot air/blows out the hot air. If it didn't, then I would imagine that the processor would heat up extremely quickly with not one bit of cool air passing over it.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    My laptop draws in cool air from underneath and blows out sometimes very hot air on the left. Occasionally it's cool air being blown out, so something inside must be working harder at some times than others.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommyd1258 wrote: »
    My laptop draws in cool air from underneath and blows out sometimes very hot air on the left. Occasionally it's cool air being blown out, so something inside must be working harder at some times than others.

How can it draw cool air in from underneath when surely the laptop is placed on some kind of surface?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    theres always a gap under a laptop when used on a hard surface providing plenty of ventilation room if the fans and heat exchanger are dust free.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the ideal solution is to compare temperatures,like for like,find out the processor speed of the laptop then get an average figure from that,,also try using more than one diagnostic programme to check temperatures,one software could give you wild figures,another a more balanced view.
    40c is not out of the ordinary for a hard drive,infact i'd say it is a perfectly ordinary temperature,nothing to worry about there.
    The fans are built to last years of service,they are also a custom design,and not easily replaceable.Five years to seven years service from a fan is not unheard of.
    It is perfectly normal for hot air to be blowing out from the laptop.

i've just downloaded speedfan,the temperatures it is reporting correspond to other softwares i've got so it all looks okay.
    The flame on mine is for a 51c,anything above 50c has a flame icon by the looks of it.
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    gordy716 wrote: »
    theres always a gap under a laptop when used on a hard surface providing plenty of ventilation room if the fans and heat exchanger are dust free.

That's exactly why it's a problem for me, because the surface my laptop on remains used only for a laptop, so dust accumulates underneath it [having two dogs and a cat doesn't help] and it regularly gets filled with dust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decent laptop has proper fans and heatsinks and so it won't overheat. A cheap laptop will overheat because of its cheap parts. You get what you pay for. I have seen someone have to put wooden blocks under his machine to keep it cool. If he had bought a better laptop then he needed have bothered.