Options

Doctor Who Series 7 Episode 12: The Crimson Horror 04/05/2013 BBC1 6:30pm

Comments

• Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how/why you're implying a snobbish slant to someone not getting the 'Thomas Thomas' joke. :confused:I didn't get it either until I read it on here - you might think it's a 'mass consumer product' in everyone's field of knowledge, but I live on an island 9x5 where such items are totally redundant to locals. I don't know anyone who owns one - and for the record, we don't have a branch of Halfords, either! Anyway, even when I am driving in France or the UK I use a map and sort out my route before I go - I wouldn't even think of buying a sat nav, they are completely unnecessary! (We did cope before they were invented!).

Eh? I wasn't having a go, snobbish or otherwise, at anyone because they didn't get the Thomas Thomas joke. Sometimes one gets a joke and sometimes not.

But - Someone who happened not to get the joke complained that Gatiss put the joke in having assumed his viewers are all as "trendy" as he.

So I quite fairly highlighted that there is nothing "trendy" about SatNav and that TomTom is a famous brand name in that market. Whether one has personal experience of them or not their existence isn't something known mainly among trendy
    celebs etc. The phrases and tone of voice used by Thomas Thomas have been parodied in many sitcoms and sketch shows going back years - eg The Royle Family and Armstrong & Miller. TomTom have advertised in national newspapers and TV.

Hundreds of thousands of ordinary, non-trendy, people use TomTom in their everyday lives,some of them got theirs at Halfords which isn't a trendy shop.

So, in summary: Not being aware of the TomTom brand or SatNav voice directions? Perfectly understandable. Thinking that Gatiss put it in having assumed we are all "trendy"? No.

PS: When I am travelling in France or the UK I use a horse and cart. I wouldn't even think of buying a car. They are totally unnecessary. ;)
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    So, in summary: Not being aware of the TomTom brand or SatNav voice directions?

As stated previously I was well aware of both the brand name and the SatNav concept. I simply didn't make the connection with "Thomas Thomas" because it was totally unrelated to anything else in the programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    As stated previously I was well aware of both the brand name and the SatNav concept. I simply didn't make the connection with "Thomas Thomas" because it was totally unrelated to anything else in the programme.

I didn't say you were unaware of it. I was telling jerseyporter that I hadn't mocked anyone over their knowledge or lack of knowledge of TomTom.

The post of yours to which I responded was not about it being unrelated to anything else in the programme. You said you wished Gatiss didn't assume everyone was as trendy as he. That's the only thing I thought was a bit funny. Given that how, as I've explained about four times now, TomTom isn't a "trendy" item and has been used to comedic effect in several highly popular tv shows in the past.

I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way, but I do seem to be taking a little bit of flack for things I haven't said or implied. :confused:
  • Options
    zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    What kind of of factory was Sweetville?

Definitely a Match factory (or supposed to be) but apparently no matches are actually being made.

However here is the interesting bit, the matches supposedly produced are the "Brightwell and Hyman" brand, a matchbox of that brand was thrown to Rory when he was thrown in the cellar in New York.

There was a brief glimpse of a B+H match poster in the background near the end of the episode. There are some more details in the separate thread about it.

Link to thread
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or is the Doctor sort of scared (not the right word) of Madame Vastra or something? I mean the look on his face when she learns about modern day Clara from Jenny.
    I assumed the look was because that line of questioning would mean that he would have to admit to her that he had no idea what was going on with the multiple Claras.

Not only does he not like admitting that he doesn't know what the hell is going on, but it also meant that he was deliberately messing about with something he didn't know enough about and Madama Vastra might tell him off for that.

She does do a good line in dominatrix telling offs. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Have you been at the sherbert jelly fancies again?". :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I assumed the look was because that line of questioning would mean that he would have to admit to her that he had no idea what was going on with the multiple Claras.

Not only does he not like admitting that he doesn't know what the hell is going on, but it also meant that he was deliberately messing about with something he didn't know enough about and Madama Vastra might tell him off for that.

She does do a good line in dominatrix telling offs. ;)

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant, just didn't know how to voice it.
  • Options
    Halloween JackHalloween Jack Posts: 25
    Forum Member

I don't think the connection between satnav and "Thomas Thomas" was reliant on the programme's plot. Just a stand-alone pun, no?
  • Options
    zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I don't think the connection between satnav and "Thomas Thomas" was reliant on the programme's plot. Just a stand-alone pun, no?

There is always the possibility that this is all a virtual reality and real life is bleeding through somehow.

Ok, I may be reaching a bit, but if it is just a standalone pun then it wasn't very well executed.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldeyfish wrote: »
    May seem like splitting hairs.. But roase was 19 so not in her 20s

On topic I really enjoyed the episode..I really like madam vastra and co

well I could split hairs about your spelling ! but I won't :p
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clara mentioned about the chimney having no smoke, when did she notice?:D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going off on a slight tangent but Rachael Stirling's ITV detective drama The Bletchley Circle has been renewed for a second series

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/05/itv-renews-the-bletchley-circle-for-second-season/
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I too was puzzled by the Tom Tom joke? I got it but have no idea why it was included? Just becasue they had a boy giving directions?

They could have equally had an asian child called Satwant Navrinder.

A question I have is what was special about the cupboard where the doc and Clara were re-normalised?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Mitch Benn tweeted "Thomas Thomas wasn't an anachronism. He was a joke." :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

A question I have is what was special about the cupboard where the doc and Clara were re-normalised?

It was the Re-Normalizing Chamber.

Mrs Gillyflower has to have a way to unfreeze all her Adam and Eves when the time was right, that chamber was it.

Presumably the Doctor used it on all the frozen people before he left or more likely left it for Ada (with help from Vastra and Jenny) to do.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It might have been related to Strax telling the horse off because he had "failed to find the destination" (he was lost). If only there was someone who knew the way ...
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too was puzzled by the Tom Tom joke? I got it but have no idea why it was included? Just becasue they had a boy giving directions?

It really was just a joke! One of many little jokes we've had. The horse (and Strax) were lost, and the boy gave him precise directions, and the punchline was the boy's name. I'm not sure why you were puzzled?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    It really was just a joke! One of many little jokes we've had. The horse (and Strax) were lost, and the boy gave him precise directions, and the punchline was the boy's name. I'm not sure why you were puzzled?
    Just as to why they made it pretty obvious that it was a TomTom SatNav?
    I wouldn't been have puzzled if there was a PP logo at the start of the show. Then there was a reason for that particular joke/name.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know anyone named Garmin? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Do you know anyone named Garmin? :D
    No :D
    But it could have been generic
    They could have equally had an asian child called Satwant Navrinder.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No :D
    But it could have been generic
    They could have equally had an asian child called Satwant Navrinder

Were there many Asian children in Yorkshire in 1893?
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because historical verisimilitude is always a high priority in Doctor Who
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member

There were probably more Asian children in Yorkshire than Sontarans or Silurians! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were probably more Asian children in Yorkshire than Sontarans or Silurians! :D

true!
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up on this last night. Thought it was brilliant, easily the best of the series so far. The Crimson stuff were very scary as was Ada in her makeup..

I thought this was going to be a Doctor Lite episode till we saw him in the Crimson poison. :eek: Some very scary stuff indeed.

Shaping up nicely for the finale. :)