Boardwalk Empire - Season 5 - US Pace

Comments

• The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    I'm actually glad that Chalky was bumped off - I couldn't bear that uneducated, 'ghetto' talk he spouted. At least Narcisse had a bit of class and a much better accent.

Yet the uneducated ghetto one won the last battle of words with the classy one with the better accent
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    I'm actually glad that Chalky was bumped off - I couldn't bear that uneducated, 'ghetto' talk he spouted. At least Narcisse had a bit of class and a much better accent.

To be fair, the education system for black people or indeed poor people in general probably wasn't all that great back then.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want the rainbow.. you must have the rain. :(

Could have done with a few more episodes, they really rushed it, such a shame.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I enjoyed the finale but was disappointed they went down the Tommy route. I think it would have been better if that cycle had been broken and Tommy was prospering somewhere else. Richard's work not gone to waste.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a lame and lazy ending with the whole Tommy shooting him. Was hoping Tommy was well away from that depressing life.
  • stevenalisstevenalis Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Sorry the series is over. Been a great series but I suppose all loose ends tied up. Tommy kills him. Tommy's mum locked up indefinitely. Eli can sort himself out with the money. His empire crumbled. Margaret carries on. Nowhere else for the series to go it seems
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only right way to end it really.

Nucky could not have lived, He had done to much bad stuff before becoming a "gangster" for that to happen. He went back and tried to put right as many of those wrongs as possible.

The killing of Jimmy had to come back and end it for him as it was the turning point for him to become something he did not need to be. He could have and should have stayed away from becoming a gangster, It was never part of the plan. It was like when he was a bell-boy and always wanted that little bit more as a tip. He never learned when enough was enough
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Margaret was excellent. Her scenes with Joe McCarthy were the best she's been in the show.

The lad playing young Nucky was again superb, especially in the scene where he procured young Jillian for the Commodore. The torment in his face was writ large. Go back to nothing like his father, or make a deal with the devil and do something abhorrent.

And finally, Stephen Graham played a blinder. The scene where he tried to explain to his son was another bit of acting brilliance from the man.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A brilliant ending to an amazing series.

The scene when Nicky had gone to visit Gilliam after she'd written him a help me letter showed his true colours that underneath he really thought everything could be solved with £££ and had little conscious or love for anyone.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's over.
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    If you want the rainbow.. you must have the rain. :(

Could have done with a few more episodes, they really rushed it, such a shame.

I'll remember that line.
    Agree that it was a lame and rushed ending to a brilliant show:confused:
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fantastic ending by any means, but certainly a satisfying one, given the shortened season, which is more than you can say about most final episodes. Only real negative I have is that by focusing so much on Gillian, both then and now, then introducing 'the kid' as a recurring character in Nucky's life, it was easy to look at all three in context and put two and two together. Then it was just a question of when and how the kid's real story would come out. It felt too contrived. Are we to believe that Grandma Gillian told her young grandson how Nucky pimped her out when she was fifteen, or has he been visiting her in the asylum? Having said that, the conclusion to Gillian's asylum segment was heartbreaking. Having pinned all her hopes on Nucky feeling some sense of obligation through guilt - which we now know was well deserved (again, great acting by young Nucky in that scene) - when he visited, she was in no state to argue or possibly even know he was there.

Not an easy watch over the seasons, both for its graphic violence and infuriating habit of leaving plot points dormant for many episodes, even seasons, but it was just so Goddammned stylish and impeccably acted, with so many wonderful characters, that I shall miss it.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    I just love Stephen Graham as Al Capone. And those final scenes between Nucky and the older/younger Gillian were really well done.

Not a perfect final season, but I thought all the stories were closed nicely. Gonna miss it now.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Margaret was excellent. Her scenes with Joe McCarthy were the best she's been in the show.

The lad playing young Nucky was again superb, especially in the scene where he procured young Jillian for the Commodore. The torment in his face was writ large. Go back to nothing like his father, or make a deal with the devil and do something abhorrent.

And finally, Stephen Graham played a blinder. The scene where he tried to explain to his son was another bit of acting brilliance from the man.

Kennedy, not McCarthy ;)

But yeah, I agree.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Kennedy, not McCarthy ;)

But yeah, I agree.

Oops. Silly me. Too many Joes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked how in the end they showed Gillian was not this awful person but was made that way by Nucky. She was the only true victim thoughout the show
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    The only right way to end it really.

Nucky could not have lived,

Yet, in real life he did.

BE has been a brilliant show with some marvelous scripting and top notch acting. The ending was what I'd call satisfactory, but not the great thing it could and should have been. I would have preferred a longer final series, with more room to work things out, as they did with The Wire. But, at least they didn't mess it up the way that the writers of Dexter did. Nucky dead as a dodo, killed by Jimmy's son was fitting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet, in real life he did.

BE has been a brilliant show with some marvelous scripting and top notch acting. The ending was what I'd call satisfactory, but not the great thing it could and should have been. I would have preferred a longer final series, with more room to work things out, as they did with The Wire. But, at least they didn't mess it up the way that the writers of Dexter did. Nucky dead as a dodo, killed by Jimmy's son was fitting.

BE's Nucky was not a real character.

There was a Nucky JOHNSON but it was based on him very very losely. As the season went on less and less was based on fact apart from the broadest of strokes.

The real Nucky was more a businessman where as our Nucky went above and beyond what he started out as, They started out along a simular path but BE's Nucky went so much futher down the wrong path
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another satisfied fan. Part of me wouldn't have minded Nucky surviving, then a future coda where he's old, even well-off but haunted by past (Buscemi could convey that with just a look), but there was a logical closure to it all. Well done to an excellent cast and production team.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A weak season and a so-so ending.

Massively disappointed Nucky was killed off. It was such an obvious route and dull route - especially at the hands of Tommy. I get it had to be an older actor but it felt odd having Nucky killed by this new guy who had featured in 2/3 scenes. I also hated Nucky just losing everything so easily, felt a complete waste.

Why did Luciano take Eli's son in Episode 7 for us to just jump forward and miss the whole exchange anyway.

Capone underused.

Bittersweet. It's been a good series (especially Seasons 3 and 4) but massively rushed towards the end and not really happy with most outcomes.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Why did Luciano take Eli's son in Episode 7 for us to just jump forward and miss the whole exchange anyway.

What do you mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminded me a little of Kenard killing Omar, a well respected character killed by a boy who was trapped by circumstance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    A weak season and a so-so ending.

Massively disappointed Nucky was killed off. It was such an obvious route and dull route - especially at the hands of Tommy. I get it had to be an older actor but it felt odd having Nucky killed by this new guy who had featured in 2/3 scenes. I also hated Nucky just losing everything so easily, felt a complete waste.

Capone underused.

Bittersweet. It's been a good series (especially Seasons 3 and 4) but massively rushed towards the end and not really happy with most outcomes.

That was used as a plot device to force Nucky to give up Atlantic City.

How would showing the exchange forward the plot? Two men walking towards each other sounds boring.

Same as Capone he gets nicked for not paying his taxes again very boring and something we have seen before in loads of films and books. If they had showed him more I think it would have taken something away from 3 fantastic scenes (him pretending he going to beat the rap, his father and son chat and him realising it's over).

I think apart from Tommy only Gillian could have killed Nucky nobody else would have made sense
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing about that ending I didn't particularly like was where did Tommy get the gun from? Surely he was searched upon being thrown in a cell? And after that he was, I assume, with Nucky the whole time. So where did it come from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing about that ending I didn't particularly like was where did Tommy get the gun from? Surely he was searched upon being thrown in a cell? And after that he was, I assume, with Nucky the whole time. So where did it come from?

He was never in jail.

He was caught by the hotel manager who called Nucky to sort it out as he knew he worked/had worked for Nucky