Options

Friday Download - CBBC thread?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
new series tonight starts at 5pm , who is a fan of this show?

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am an adult and don't watch kids shows :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    ^ Same.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,227
    Forum Member
    I watch it because I'm a teenager. And I can't stick with The Chase or Disney/Nickelodeon five times a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i am an adult and don't watch kids shows :sleep:

Depends what you regard as a kids show. This may well be one but the likes of The Dumping Ground are liked by adults here despite being on the CBBC channel (and it was extremely popular on iPlayer).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    about to start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like the new look.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I think the Dumping Ground is a guilty pleasure among us teenage.early twenties adults who grew up with the original Tracey Beaker. Far too many people I know have happened to have seen it for it to be coincidental :p

Stopped watching CBBC itself when I was 12/13, and jumped straight to BB3 since they have pretty much nothing for 13-16 year olds at the time. I did have a go with a couple of episodes though, because of the Tracey Beaker link, but I think I'm far too cynical to enjoy nowadays. One of the episodes had a couple of kids being locked in a shed because of a mix up over careworkers, which I just couldn't get my head round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They seemed to get locked because of refusing to follow orders but there are a couple of heart warming scenes. The first episode had like 1.5m requests on iPlayer in January alone.

Regarding FD, it will be interesting to see how it does in the ratings. Loveable Rogues are on as well. I like the new logo as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have to say Aidan's rap yesterday was rather clever and I do seem to like the new graphics.

It's practically Blue Peter of today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the series is going good so far.
  • Options
    tomas08tomas08 Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one that thinks this is a itv kind of show? If citv was still going I would see it being on there.

And as good as the show is it don't have much of a fun element in the show. It all to cool for school. Very T4. To grown up?

You can tell it's edited to much but to a child it would not matter much.

All the "presenters" are not the best. More reporters than anything. Cel the best out of them all. Would this show be better live?

I miss TMI. Was much better in my opinion. Shame it never got a chance to refresh.

Is it just me? What do you think?
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I feel really bad watching this at the age of 16 :p but its grown on me :p even if I don't see the purpose of Danny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pothuthic wrote: »
    I feel really bad watching this at the age of 16 :p but its grown on me :p even if I don't see the purpose of Danny.

Danny is as good as tyger was. That's not a good thing. :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tomas08 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks this is a itv kind of show? If citv was still going I would see it being on there.

And as good as the show is it don't have much of a fun element in the show. It all to cool for school. Very T4. To grown up?

You can tell it's edited to much but to a child it would not matter much.

All the "presenters" are not the best. More reporters than anything. Cel the best out of them all. Would this show be better live?

I miss TMI. Was much better in my opinion. Shame it never got a chance to refresh.

Is it just me? What do you think?

CITV nowadays aims at a lower demographic than CBBC. At least CBBC gets it's fair share of programmes which pull in really high ratings.

If it was live, how would they move from one set to another?

The ratings aren't great - at the very least, they could get all the presenters taking a line in the Sing Download to improve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    CITV nowadays aims at a lower demographic than CBBC. At least CBBC gets it's fair share of programmes which pull in really high ratings.

If it was live, how would they move from one set to another?

The ratings aren't great - at the very least, they could get all the presenters taking a line in the Sing Download to improve it.

I am not saying citv is better but if they were still investing then I could see Friday download on there.

The seating set is on the other side of the main stage. Well that what I always beleved from pics I seen of the set.

I know the show does not do great in ratings but it is on on a friday. If it was live on Saturday it might do better. I think this show has had 5 great series and with a 6th in September I do think maybe cbbc should consider something new for 2014.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not saying citv is better but if they were still investing then I could see Friday download on there.

The seating set is on the other side of the main stage. Well that what I always beleved from pics I seen of the set.

I know the show does not do great in ratings but it is on on a friday. If it was live on Saturday it might do better. I think this show has had 5 great series and with a 6th in September I do think maybe cbbc should consider something new for 2014.

They do have to move sets from the main stage, to the area where they do the Games Download/Hot or Not etc.

I don't think the fact it's on a Friday is the issue. It isn't being promoted enough. It's been stuck at around 200k viewers each episode for a few series now.

I think it's down to the guests, or what show comes before. The show's highest ever ratings came when it was put after Tracy Beaker Returns (which got like 856k viewers) and FD got around 400k.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Probably aimed at people a few years younger than me (I'm 14, 15 this year) but I find it ridiculously cringey and patronising, and think I would have found it cringey and patronising when I was about 10 or 11. Still, from what I've seen, CBBC put out a lot worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably aimed at people a few years younger than me (I'm 14, 15 this year) but I find it ridiculously cringey and patronising, and think I would have found it cringey and patronising when I was about 10 or 11. Still, from what I've seen, CBBC put out a lot worse.

Well, some times when they have previewed/recommended a certain movie, they say beforehand 'this is one for you older ones'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Well, some times when they have previewed/recommended a certain movie, they say beforehand 'this is one for you older ones'.
    I presume that's just so they can claim they don't advocate 15s or whatever to younger kids. I doubt it's truly reflective of their audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I presume that's just so they can claim they don't advocate 15s or whatever to younger kids. I doubt it's truly reflective of their audience.

Well, it's better than if it were to be presented by adults. But then again, the viewing figures are far from good. It's the dramas that seem to be dominating CBBC's schedules, as they seem to attract a wider range of an audience.

This show, well, there should be a large young audience watching TV on a Friday at 5 but I think the likes of Nickelodeon and Disney Channel takes half of them which could be watching Friday Download.

They could at the very least create a buzz around it on Twitter a bit more, or bring in more high-profile guests (which kids would actually be interested in).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched the show today and thought it was ok. The face off section was pretty good. The show has not really developed over time. It's becoming a bit dull. I think the show is missing something. I always feel like it's trying to be and teaching how to be the cool kid, And it just don't work well. Also Dionne performed her new single. Isn't there something in the BBC rules saying you can't promote your own product?

In regards to ratings (using figures posted on wikipedia) the series average went up then has drop a far bit.

Series 1 average - 255,000 (13 shows)
    Series 2 average - 319,000 (13 shows)
    Series 3 average - 231,000 (13 shows)
    Series 4 average - 212,000 (7 shows)
    Series 5 average - 195,000 (excluding last two shows) (10 shows)

I do wonder having put two series back to back killed the show, But the revamp has not help improve the series performance. Series 6 is on the way in September but if it drops again then surly CBBC might start looking at something else? Maybe invest in Blue Peter a bit?

Then again the executive producer is know and has contacts so I think series 7 and beyond is on the cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched the show today and thought it was ok. The face off section was pretty good. The show has not really developed over time. It's becoming a bit dull. I think the show is missing something. I always feel like it's trying to be and teaching how to be the cool kid, And it just don't work well. Also Dionne performed her new single. Isn't there something in the BBC rules saying you can't promote your own product?

In regards to ratings (using figures posted on wikipedia) the series average went up then has drop a far bit.

Series 1 average - 255,000 (13 shows)
    Series 2 average - 319,000 (13 shows)
    Series 3 average - 231,000 (13 shows)
    Series 4 average - 212,000 (7 shows)
    Series 5 average - 195,000 (excluding last two shows) (10 shows)

I do wonder having put two series back to back killed the show, But the revamp has not help improve the series performance. Series 6 is on the way in September but if it drops again then surly CBBC might start looking at something else? Maybe invest in Blue Peter a bit?

Then again the executive producer is know and has contacts so I think series 7 and beyond is on the cards.

Slightly patronising at times. I added the viewing figures into Wikipedia using the BARB website (and they are all genuine).

I wonder what would happen if they left it for about a year, and then brought it back? If they are trying to tap into the current market, they need to take a different approach. If it does drop below 100,000 this next series then they'd have to do something about it, or they may even drop it.

I think Blue Peter getting a new presenter sometime soon may give it a new lease of life, so the BBC won't have to worry about it that much anymore. I would expect FD to be among the highest rated shows of the week for CBBC - maybe they just need to try a different approach?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Slightly patronising at times. I added the viewing figures into Wikipedia using the BARB website (and they are all genuine).

I wonder what would happen if they left it for about a year, and then brought it back? If they are trying to tap into the current market, they need to take a different approach. If it does drop below 100,000 this next series then they'd have to do something about it, or they may even drop it.

I think Blue Peter getting a new presenter sometime soon may give it a new lease of life, so the BBC won't have to worry about it that much anymore. I would expect FD to be among the highest rated shows of the week for CBBC - maybe they just need to try a different approach?

I wonder if Friday Download is all CBBC has got.

I do think the show is good, But not the best. I think they have failed to keep it fresh which is reflected in the ratings. The revamp came to late. Let's see how next series goes because if there is no improvement then it will be hard to defend it's cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Friday Download is all CBBC has got.

I do think the show is good, But not the best. I think they have failed to keep it fresh which is reflected in the ratings. The revamp came to late. Let's see how next series goes because if there is no improvement then it will be hard to defend it's cost.

I think they need to try and reach out to adults as well. I believe that's part of what made 'Dick and Dom in da Bungalow' a success - there was a large, long-running thread on here which I resurrected a few days ago just to highlight how popular some 'kids' shows are on here.

Patronising doesn't help. As for the forfeits, I wonder if the presenters were actually told beforehand. And as with Blue Peter, it could do with an advertising slot on BBC One & Two, but in the afternoon. They could have changed the theme tune as well. I hope the producers take into account the ratings aren't great. In essence, with the approach they are taking with it, it should be making CBBC's top 10 each week but it hasn't done that for almost a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that is CBBC problem in general , they don't seem to create as good programs like they used to , the channel was show much better with the old Tracy Beaker and Grange Hill on there now a days they rely on shows that have a gimmick to them.