H982 FKL a coincidence - do you buy it?

BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30175708

"The BBC and Clarkson have maintained that the plate was a coincidence, saying that no deliberate offence had been intended."

Very poor excuse given by the BBC don't you think?

Comments

• SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Sometimes things are just a coincidence.

All the evidence in this case (note: not their past transgressions) suggests this was not deliberate. The presenters seem genuine on this and they do a lot of work with Help for Heroes etc. When they are actually swearing on their childrens' lives that it was not deliberate, I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt as I doubt that would sit well with their families and friends!

Also the logistics of deliberately actually procuring a car with that reg are mind boggling.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Of course I don't buy it.

The BBC and Clarkson are absolutely revelling in all this negative publicity. They feed on it.
  • Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »

"The BBC and Clarkson have maintained that the plate was a coincidence, saying that no deliberate offence had been intended."

No I don't think that it's a poor excuse.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L1K3 HE11 do I buy it
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was discussed at length on the thread about this at the time. When you actually look into what they would have to have done to acquire this particular car, it looks very unlikely indeed that it was done deliberately.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The premise was absurd, never made any sense for it to be deliberate.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the old TV gameshow Catchword with Paul Coia?

Your three letters are FKL... let's play... :cool:
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone really care...apart from Argentina?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Does anyone really care...apart from Argentina?

Nope, and that is the point. There president must have some bad news to break, or her approval ratings are about to come in showing low numbers, or they have another loan to deafult on, and so on.

It's always the case, they bring up the Falklands whenever they want to distract their people from something else.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they go looking for a car with a registration that contained the number 82 or 982 and the letters FAL , FKL, FLK, FND, FKD, FND (and so on and so on) - no.

Having seen a car with that registration - did they realise the possibilities and buy it? Yes.

Do I have a problem with that? No.

I do wonder who tipped off the Argentines regarding its significance, though.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC should be putting in a formal complaint against Argentina for the way their citizens chased the crew out of the country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww. Don't cry, Argentina.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did all this kick-off 6 or 8 weeks ago? If there was anything in the idea that the choice of the number plate was deliberate don't posters think the press and/or social media would have unearthed it by now?
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WTF cares if it was a coincidence or not? It was funny.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point. I'd like this to be televised
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No one gives a damn about the Argies if we offended them.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I assume this episode is going to be this year's Christmas special? The timing of the latest complaint is almost like Argentina are part of the publicity machine and are reminding us all of the story as we approach Christmas.

If the BBC Trust rejecting the complaint makes the papers days before the episode airs, I'll think that's as much a coincidence as the number plate being what it was in the first place.

I wonder if they'll try to get Simon Weston as the "Christmas star in a reasonably priced car"?
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    The ratings for this episode could well set a series record for Top Gear - all the sanctimonious whingers are playing right into the hands of the Top Gear crew, who are laughing all the way to the bank.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Without doubt, it was deliberate.

Made me chuckle as well.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    More to the point. I'd like this to be televised
    Can't remember where it was reported, or if Clarkson himself tweeted it, but it will be televised as intended - one of their special two hour long episodes.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Did they go looking for a car with a registration that contained the number 82 or 982 and the letters FAL , FKL, FLK, FND, FKD, FND (and so on and so on) - no.

Having seen a car with that registration - did they realise the possibilities and buy it? Yes.

Do I have a problem with that? No.

I do wonder who tipped off the Argentines regarding its significance, though.

I think you've nailed it. The researcher in charge of buying the car was probably just looking for any cheap Porsche and possibly realised later (or at the time) the great numberplate. Don't forget in the random nature of things you also need to include all combinations of "Malvinas".

The other thing that jumped out to me when reading the entire story is how little input Clarkson has in some of Top Gear content. His role in this scenario was literally to turn up on Day1 of filming to drive the car they'd bought for him, without any ideas/input from him.

The mock media outrage gets on my nerves a lot though. If Clarkson didn't work for BBC the right-wing press would love him. After all his manufactured screen persona completely comes across as a walking talking DailyMail/Sun newspaper. For them to pretend to be annoyed about his Argentinian escapades is ridiculously hypocritical.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    Sometimes things are just a coincidence.

All the evidence in this case (note: not their past transgressions) suggests this was not deliberate. The presenters seem genuine on this and they do a lot of work with Help for Heroes etc. When they are actually swearing on their childrens' lives that it was not deliberate, I think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt as I doubt that would sit well with their families and friends!

Also the logistics of deliberately actually procuring a car with that reg are mind boggling.

However, in this case I understand that the contentious number plate was swapped between cars so indicating that it was a deliberate (and very juvenile) provocation.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, in this case I understand that the contentious number plate was swapped between cars so indicating that it was a deliberate (and very juvenile) provocation.

Whereas I understand that this particular car has always held this number plate since it was first issued with one. There was no swapping of plates.