Options

Food and Drink BBC2

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm confused.. does the new series mean Michel has settled his differences with the BBC?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/11/michel-roux-leaving-bbc-masterchef-potato

Or was it filmed ages ago? Perhaps he was contracted to do one last series?

I'm hoping he's resolved his differences with them because that means he'll be in Masterchef Professionals.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's not a new series. The scheduling was split into two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah bugger. :) Thanks for that. Hate it when they split series!
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Huge mistake in my opinion, although the fact they are professionals probably means they are more used to having people be rude to them.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone watching this? I like the fact they're cooking food I could realistically cook. Can't believe how much weight Tom K has lost!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm recording tonights show as HFW is on.

I haven't bothered with the first two eps. I understand that a change of format has been made and Tom K and the guest cook and the wine guy now chooses his favourite?
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I haven't bothered with the first two eps. I understand that a change of format has been made and Tom K and the guest cook and the wine guy now chooses his favourite?
    Seems to be - I enjoyed the ep with Monica Galleti.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep Michel Roux Jnr had to cut his ties with the BBC due to a disagreement over him backing a potato brand. So it's Tom now as the host. Wine woman replaced with Wine man. It's watchable but tbh I preferred the original format and even that was borderline.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wine woman replaced with Wine man.
    I'm not warming to wine man so far to be honest. It feels a bit like he's trying too hard. I do like Tom as a host and I feel it's less 'formal' than it was with MRJ, I don't know if that's down to the hosts or the production staff.

It's a space filler but it's not a bad one.
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I'm not warming to wine man so far to be honest. It feels a bit like he's trying too hard. I do like Tom as a host and I feel it's less 'formal' than it was with MRJ, I don't know if that's down to the hosts or the production staff.

Wine man is really twitchy his hands gesticulate more than an Italian Tommy Cooper. He also turned up with a 15 quid bottle of plonk made in London but with grapes produced 600 miles away, what's the point of that? Did anyone else think Peckham Spring Water?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anonandon wrote: »
    Wine man is really twitchy his hands gesticulate more than an Italian Tommy Cooper. He also turned up with a 15 quid bottle of plonk made in London but with grapes produced 600 miles away, what's the point of that? Did anyone else think Peckham Spring Water?
    Well they asked the same question and his reply that in the same as a local brewery that gets it's ingredients from across the world it's the local knowledge, process and also a community project that is the selling point.
  • Options
    Forum Member

vixyvic wrote: »
    Seems to be - I enjoyed the ep with Monica Galleti.
    I don't mind the new format. There is a theme for each episode (quick meals etc,) and they produce a meal each then wine guy chooses the winner.

Not too sure of the camera work though. Too easy going and laid back. Too many cut aways, veering off and extra closeups of food.

I was happy enough with professional still camera shots of the presenter and the food like they used to do years ago (kitchen based shows).
    But now with his studio set kitchen and the staff been shown in the background it takes you out of that environment.

A thought would be to let the crew vote for the best dish to get a more objective view.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Anonandon wrote: »
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Is anyone watching this? I like the fact they're cooking food I could realistically cook. Can't believe how much weight Tom K has lost!
    Wadsack has gone the opposite way. He's piled on the pounds.
    Saw him on a show the other day from about 15 years back. Young and thin off around Europe as Tesco's international bulk wine buyer.

He also popped up throughout the 2000s on UKTV Food.
  • Options
    AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Well they asked the same question and his reply that in the same as a local brewery that gets it's ingredients from across the world it's the local knowledge, process and also a community project that is the selling point.

The brewery shown was using/ combining imported and local produce to a unique recipe. The Langudoc region, where the grapes come from produces some of the best affordable wine in France, thanks to the soil, that's all you need to make good wine. What contribution does local knowledge give if it's bottled in Wandsworth and costs 4 times as much? Is it the knowledge that you have to factor in the cost of the congestion charge to turn a profit? Vanity project.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You'd have to ask the people who have bought/sampled the wine if it's worth the price or not.
  • Options
    buster_boybuster_boy Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Did they film the whole series of this in one day?

Tom Kerridge is always wearing the blue shirt and the drink guy is always wearing the red checked one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe over a week. Sometimes it's easier continuity to keep things the same.

I've rather warmed to this variation of the show. It's quite informative and they obviously have fun making it. The 'luxury tasting' today was genuinely hilarious. I love the look of those coffee buns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was surprised last week to see the wine guy chilling sake. I thought the etiquette was to serve at room temp or slightly warmer?

Is this another new fad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised last week to see the wine guy chilling sake. I thought the etiquette was to serve at room temp or slightly warmer?
    Slightly warmer, it's supposed to be around body temperature which is... 98.5 degrees F? or about 30 degrees C?
    Is this another new fad?
    God knows but probably. Like chilled red wine. madness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't drink red anymore but when I did I used to chill it because it was cheap stuff and made it taste better. It wasn't to bring out more flavour :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oddly the last episode in the series is on tonight. It must have been bumped by something else at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly the last episode in the series is on tonight. It must have been bumped by something else at the time.
    Yeah,can't remember what but the series was bumped. Oddly, episode 9 was never shown on TV as far as I know, but is available on iPlayer...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah,can't remember what but the series was bumped. Oddly, episode 9 was never shown on TV as far as I know, but is available on iPlayer...
    You're right. I don't recall seeing that one either.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've given Tom kerridge a fair chance and the wine bloke and they both irritate me. i went off Tom when he was unpleasant to the chefs on the GBM? the happy act just annoys me now & calling everyone "chief" is also an irritant. if there's a new series don't think i'll be watching.