124»

Comments

• Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Wait.. so was Annie dead in the 1973 world? I never thought of that
    I thought not everyone was - in A2A it was revealed Ray died in 1977. Also I thought Shaz's scene was so sad when she "died" :(
    Sam died in 2005, Alex in 2008.
    Sam went back to 1973 and Alex to 1981-3 (I think).
    So, Ray dieing in 1977 and going back to 1973 (and then flipping forward to 1981) was not a problem.

The 'World' they all lived in was, as Alex said rather annoyingly at times, "a construct" anyway.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait.. so was Annie dead in the 1973 world? I never thought of that
    I thought not everyone was - in A2A it was revealed Ray died in 1977. Also I thought Shaz's scene was so sad when she "died" :(
    Annie died in the early 1970's. She was killed by Sam's dad, which we saw in his childhood memories. All the police officers, except Sam and Alex, were already dead. It was purgatory/limbo until people were ready to move on.

Sam was close to death because he was in a coma. But he didn't actually die until 2007, when he jumped off the roof in the real world. Then him and Annie had a few years in Gene's world before they went off to heaven together.

Which is why Gene moved the others to 'London' so they wouldn't ask too many questions about where Sam and Annie had gone. Sam faked his own death and Annie supposedly stayed in 'Manchester'. But really they'd both gone off to heaven together. Sam obviously told Annie the truth when he figured all out so it was time for them to move on from Gene's world.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah I remember now, Sam's dad attacked Annie in the woods, and I guess may have killed her :o:(
    I found that scene so shocking as Sam really looked up to his dad, he was his hero but everything he thought was wrong :(
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah I remember now, Sam's dad attacked Annie in the woods, and I guess may have killed her :o:(
    I found that scene so shocking as Sam really looked up to his dad, he was his hero but everything he thought was wrong :(

I also presume that not everybody in that world is dead/dying as Sam's mum was still alive in 2010 wasn't she? Or have I got that wrong? So her 1973 persona wasn't actually her but Sam's memory of her. From what I gather only the key characters i.e Gene, Ray, Chris, Annie etc were ex officers who'd died. I presume everything is a made up fantasy wrapped around them which is why in the final episode when the devil character turns up the whole world unwraps around them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Sam did make it out of his coma. He then 'went back' to his present day (2005, 2006?). And that is the basis of A2A - Alex has read his notes on what happened while he was in the coma.
    Then, preferring 'life' in the 70s, Sam committed suicide by jumping off the roof and went back to the 70s at the very point he left it.
    In A2A series 3, Gene tells Alex that Sam knew what it all meant and eventually him and Annie 'moved on'.

Apologies I meant after he jumped. You see him and Annie drive off into the sunset so I presumed they left that limbo world to go off into the afterlife leaving Gene and his crew behind to help others cross over. They remain in that world unaged and 8 years later in their world but a year later in ours we pick up the story with Alex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I also presume that not everybody in that world is dead/dying as Sam's mum was still alive in 2010 wasn't she? Or have I got that wrong? So her 1973 persona wasn't actually her but Sam's memory of her. From what I gather only the key characters i.e Gene, Ray, Chris, Annie etc were ex officers who'd died. I presume everything is a made up fantasy wrapped around them which is why in the final episode when the devil character turns up the whole world unwraps around them.

Only police officers are real in Gene's world. And probably not even all of them. Every one else is created by Gene.
  • Options
    chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only police officers are real in Gene's world. And probably not even all of them. Every one else is created by Gene.

I thought that the last episode of the third series of Ashes to Ashes - where we finally find out who Gene is - was ambiguous, because I am not sure whether Gene knew what his role really was. I always suspected that he was a sort of courier for the souls of dead police officers, and I was pleased to find out that this was true. It seemed to me that after the others had left, Gene went back to the start again, back in his office, and a new "recruit" turned up. Either Gene knew what was happening or he suffered from amnesia and the new officer was just another person who had asked for a transfer to his team!

I can't be sure who was real and who wasn't in Gene's world, but i think it's open to interpretation, which is fine by me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chipsaunt wrote: »
    I thought that the last episode of the third series of Ashes to Ashes - where we finally find out who Gene is - was ambiguous, because I am not sure whether Gene knew what his role really was. I always suspected that he was a sort of courier for the souls of dead police officers, and I was pleased to find out that this was true. It seemed to me that after the others had left, Gene went back to the start again, back in his office, and a new "recruit" turned up. Either Gene knew what was happening or he suffered from amnesia and the new officer was just another person who had asked for a transfer to his team!

I can't be sure who was real and who wasn't in Gene's world, but i think it's open to interpretation, which is fine by me.

Gene didn't remember his real past, but he did know the world was his. That it was a police officer limbo. And he was the person who helped them get ready to pass on to heaven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chipsaunt wrote: »

My take on this was that Gene's persona that he adopted in that world came from his love of old 1950's John Wayne films and became the macho hero image as opposed to the naive little boy that he actually was as a real life young officer but he's lived in that world so long that I think he genuinely forget who he once was and why he was there and to him the world he created for himself became a reality for him. In other words he's been stuck there so long that he lost his way and reality and fantasy got blurred. That became his reality. Once Alex helped him realise who he actually was and why he was there, he was able to help Alex move on to where she needed to be but Gene then chose to stay there because it was the one place he could live out his macho persona.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think Gene wanted to live out his fantasy of being the "sherrif" (sp?) from Westerns.