Options

Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natwest T20 Blast Finals Day - Sky Sports

I think this is a full list, apologies if I missed anyone off

Presenter - Ian Ward

Commentators - David Lloyd, Michael Vaughan, Paul Allott, Nick Knight, Andrew Strauss, Nasser Hussain, Michael Atherton

Reporter - Isa Guha

David Lloyd did his traditional commentary on the Mascot Race while Michael Atherton did the presentation ceremony
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Sydney Darts Masters on Fox Sports

Hosted by Adam Peacock with commentary by Stuart Pyke and Rod Harrington. Mark Bosnich is the reporter with David Warner as a guest commentator. Delayed coverage available on Challenge in the UK.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick Winterton and Gillian Lindsay are on Rowing World Championships (in Amsterdam) duty for British Eurosport 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sunday 7 September

Hurling: Kilkenny v Tipperary on RTE One

Michael Lyster presents. With commentary by Ger Canning and Michael Duignan, and analysis by Cyril Farrell, Ger Loughnane and Tomas Mulcahy, and pitchside reports by Eddie Brennan and Liam Sheedy.

Athletics: Great North Run on the BBC

Presented by Jonathan Edwards, with commentary by Steve Cram, Andrew Cotter, Brendan Foster and Paula Radcliffe, and live updates from Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, Tina Daheley and Phil Jones out on the course.

Cycling: Tour of Britain on ITV

Presented by Ned Boulting and Kristian House, with commentary by Hugh Porter and Brian Smith.

Thursday 11 September

The Invictus Games on the BBC

Jonathan Edwards presents. With commentators including Steve Cram, Mike Costello, Tanni Grey-Thompson, Eddie Butler and Steve Brown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Darren Clarke will be part of Sky Sports' Ryder Cup team. In addition, says their website: 'Sky Sports’ line-up for its 10th exclusive showing of the event includes former winning European Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie and coach to US Ryder Cup stars Butch Harmon.

Plus, on the Sunday at Gleneagles, Jack Nicklaus, who played in five Ryder Cup teams and captained the US twice, winning in 1983, will join the Sky Sports team.

David Livingstone will present the coverage, while Ewen Murray, Bruce Critchley, Rob Lee and Mark Roe will provide commentary, and on-course reporting will be provided by Howard Clark - who played in six Ryder Cups – Richard Boxall and Tim Barter.

Highlights programming will be presented by Sarah Stirk, who will be joined each day in the studio by Andrew Coltart and Nick Dougherty to review the key moments in the previous day’s matches.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Friday 3 October

Battleground MMA PPV- Jim Ross and Chael Sonnen
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lets,hope,John,is,comm..:)
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth Charles takes over from Huw Llewellyn Davies as S4C's main commentator

http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_press_level2.shtml?id=2075
  • Options
    OMcOMc Posts: 3,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did wonder why he didn't do more Welsh-medium stuff. Does that mean Eddie Butler will do the English-language stuff (is there a game tonight)?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OMc wrote: »
    I did wonder why he didn't do more Welsh-medium stuff. Does that mean Eddie Butler will do the English-language stuff (is there a game tonight)?

Rick O'Shea said something eluding to this on BBC Radio Wales' Scrum V Radio show the other week - Charlo was among his studio guests for their Pro12 season preview, with Rick saying of him that "we have him on loan from S4C ahead of the [football] transfer window closing."

Charlo does actually do a fair bit of Welsh language stuff - he regularly commentated on games involving the Welsh regions in the old ERC competitions for BBC Radio Cymru as well as BBC Radio Wales, which I imagine he'll continue to do, and he also was Radio Cymru's lead commentator on Wales games in the 2011 Rugby World Cup and the 2013 British & Irish Lions tour when the BBC only held Welsh language UK radio rights (with talkSPORT and sister station Swansea Sound holding exclusive English language UK radio rights to both events). He's also done plenty of English language alternative audio commentaries on S4C live Pro12 games in recent seasons, with these being used on Scrum V Sunday's highlights edits of these games.

It'll be interesting to see if he continues to be the lead voice of BBC Two Wales' Pro12 matches - if not him, then perhaps Nick Webb or Gareth Rhys Owen will assume his position. But there's no reason why he can't commentate on both the televised Friday and Sunday games on-site, especially if both of a weekend's games are taking place in Wales. I guess we'll find out soon enough, BBC Two Wales are showing Ospreys v Treviso in their season opener in an hour's time. It'll also be interesting to see what happens during the Six Nations, if BBC Radio Wales lose Charlo as their lead commentator on Wales internationals if he's commentating on those games for S4C.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 5th September - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Live: Ospreys v Treviso

Ross Harries presenting from the Liberty Stadium alongside Carlo Del Fava and Martyn Williams, with Sean Holley in the analysis truck

Commentators: Gareth Charles, Jonathan Davies and Martyn Williams

Reporter: Phil Steele, with Carlo Del Fava providing pitchside punditry

I don't think there's a Welsh language alternative commentary option tonight, with BBC's Freeview Red Button schedulers having made the boneheaded decision to prioritise a loop of an Eastenders bonus scene on channel 200 over the live rugby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Friday 5 September (BT Sport 2)

Round 1 - Northampton Saints v Gloucester

Craig Doyle presenting live from Franklin's Gardens alongside Ben Kay, Matt Dawson & James Simpson-Daniel.

Commentators: Alastair Eykyn, Ben Kay & Matt Dawson

Reporter: Martin Bayfield
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Munster v Edinburgh - BBC Alba

Red button* English comms:
    Paul Mitchell and John Beattie.

*Should have been the first red button English language commentary on Alba tonight but a technical BBC issue means the English comms are only online this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 5th September - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Live: Ospreys v Treviso

Ross Harries presenting from the Liberty Stadium alongside Carlo Del Fava and Martyn Williams, with Sean Holley in the analysis truck

Commentators: Gareth Charles, Jonathan Davies and Martyn Williams

Reporter: Phil Steele, with Carlo Del Fava providing pitchside punditry

I don't think there's a Welsh language alternative commentary option tonight, with BBC's Freeview Red Button schedulers having made the boneheaded decision to prioritise a loop of an Eastenders bonus scene on channel 200 over the live rugby.

Scrum V Live employed quite a strange commentary set-up last night. While from what I heard of the first half, it was the three listed above on duty as commentators (with Martyn Williams joining and leaving the box a few minutes into and before the end of the half due to his punditry work), during the second half Carlo Del Fava had joined the three of them in the commentary box and you also had Sean Holley chipping in with comments from his analysis truck from time to time. So it sounded a bit crowded, but it makes sense to make more use of the excellent Holley given that otherwise he only does short analysis pieces pre-match, at half-time and if there is time at full-time.

There was also a new on-screen graphics package used for replays etc that debuted during coverage last night. The font used for words like TMO appeared to me to be the same one Sky Sports use on their rugby union coverage, so I suspect they might be uniform graphics to be used by all broadcasters of the league.
  • Options
    redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Clarke will be part of Sky Sports' Ryder Cup team. In addition, says their website: 'Sky Sports’ line-up for its 10th exclusive showing of the event includes former winning European Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie and coach to US Ryder Cup stars Butch Harmon.

Plus, on the Sunday at Gleneagles, Jack Nicklaus, who played in five Ryder Cup teams and captained the US twice, winning in 1983, will join the Sky Sports team.

David Livingstone will present the coverage, while Ewen Murray, Bruce Critchley, Rob Lee and Mark Roe will provide commentary, and on-course reporting will be provided by Howard Clark - who played in six Ryder Cups – Richard Boxall and Tim Barter.

Highlights programming will be presented by Sarah Stirk, who will be joined each day in the studio by Andrew Coltart and Nick Dougherty to review the key moments in the previous day’s matches.'

I can see Sky having more than one on course commentator, hopefully Wayne Riley is involved somewhere down the line
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uniformed replay graphics it appears certinaly The Diff. Sky using a sound effect today, others not. Each channel using their own channel/DOG graphics etc though.

Pro 12 double-header - Sky Sports 1
    Alex Payne with Scott Quinnell, Rory Lawson and Paddy Wallace at Scotstoun.

Scarlets v Ulster - Mark Robson and Will Greenwood
    Glasgow v Leinster - Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes

Love Scott Quinnell - utter punditry legend! "Been telling you about the tries in this league and finally after 12 years Sky are showing them!"

Later: Top 14 - Toulon v Bordeaux - Sky Sports 1
    James Gemmell with Nick Kennedy

Comms: Martin Gillingham and Hugo Southwell

So as I thought, Gillingham has crossed back to the Sky divide (with Southwell) to do Top 14 on Sky. I suspect he will not appear on BT now, and Sky will use him on their Heineken/Challenge cup rights games as per previous seasons. Gillingham although a freelancer i'd put #3 in the pecking order behind Harrison and Robson.

Technically Johnny Hammond probably is #3 but his games are usually English Championship and maybe the odd pro 12 match and 'best' couple of challenge cup/last pick Heineken group games. I'd rate Gillingham's Top 14, Italy/France Autumn tests and 3rd pick Heineken/ odd Challenge cup games slightly more attractive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me wrote: »
    Glasgow v Leinster - Miles Harrison and Stuart Barnes

Shane Horgan also in the box.

Graham Symmonds pitchside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Saturday 6 September (BT Sport 1)

Round 1 - Saracens v Wasps then London Irish v Harlequins

Craig Doyle presenting live from Twickenham alongside Austin Healey, Ben Kay, Lawrence Dallaglio and Matt Dawson

SAR v WAS: Nick Mullins, Lawrence Dallaglio & Austin Healey

LIR V HAR: Alastair Eykyn, Ben Kay & Matt Dawson

Reporters: Sarra Elgan & Martin Bayfield

*I was at Twickenham today so these are the details I picked up over RefLink, others may have been involved.*
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So as I thought, Gillingham has crossed back to the Sky divide (with Southwell) to do Top 14 on Sky. I suspect he will not appear on BT now, and Sky will use him on their Heineken/Challenge cup rights games as per previous seasons. Gillingham although a freelancer i'd put #3 in the pecking order behind Harrison and Robson.

Technically Johnny Hammond probably is #3 but his games are usually English Championship and maybe the odd pro 12 match and 'best' couple of challenge cup/last pick Heineken group games. I'd rate Gillingham's Top 14, Italy/France Autumn tests and 3rd pick Heineken/ odd Challenge cup games slightly more attractive.

Not 100% certain but I think Hammond did the Fri night Top 14 game.

Think it was Hammond and Morris.

I think Hammond has also done some Top 14 games in previous weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aviva Premiership Rugby - Sunday 7 September (BT Sport 1)

Round 1 - London Welsh v Exeter Chiefs

Craig Doyle in the studio alongside Lawrence Dallaglio and Charlie Hodgson.

Commentators: Nick Mullins, David Flatman & Austin Healey

Reporter: Sarra Elgan
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know we have this argument semi-regularly but I'll reiterate that Hammond is far and away number 3 in the pecking order for Sky. He's on a contract and gets a summer tour whereas Gillingham is a freelance and doesn't. By your criteria someone like Southwell would be higher than Dewi Morris....

I'd also say the championship fixtures done on-site as part of a full OB are "higher ranked" than a Top14 fixture done offtube. Regardless of the quality of the league.

Going off twitter Hammond and Morris were at Aston Gate yesterday for Bristol v Worcester. No idea on the presenting team.

After last season where they had limited Rugby Union, Sky now have bundles of the sport and will have minimum 2 or 3 matches for most weekends from now until may. I would argue that Rugby Union would be better served having its own "home of channel" now than say Tennis (which is solely on SS3). Marketing wise it could have helped promote their acquisition of the additional rights.

Does any know when the Aviva rights up for renewal? I'd say these now mean much more to BT than they do to Sky. I'd expect Skys play for the rights to be limited to making sure BT pay a fair price unless however will the English teams in the ECC remain as part of the package?
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is NOT a criticism at all but merely a suggestion

Baring in mind about 60% of this thread is Rugby Union commentary, wouldnt it make sense to have your own thread dedicated to it ? Like the football one ?

Please, as i say, don't take this as me having a go ( i don't deny i am not a huge Union fan ) but quite simply a suggestion to make it easier for you guys.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Baring in mind about 60% of this thread is Rugby Union commentary, wouldnt it make sense to have your own thread dedicated to it ? Like the football one ?

Please, as i say, don't take this as me having a go ( i don't deny i am not a huge Union fan ) but quite simply a suggestion to make it easier for you guys.

i,made,one..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think it would dilute the thread, would quiet this bit down a lot.