Bid TV in trouble - can't pay suppliers, staff

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    For the entertainment value, yes. But better products and honest if that is possible!

Don't forget Outlet Channel with Lisa Brash starts on Sunday on Sky only
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike Mason's legal team are threatening legal action against Shopping Telly Forum for the comments made about him by contributors.

This is after his wife blocked people on Facebook from accessing his fan page that she hasn't vetted first and also privated the Twitter too.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the last times I saw Mike Mason on Bid TV back in April he was lying on a bed talking about some memory foam mattress and pillows. Just accidentally scanning across freeview this evening and stopped at the Ideal World channel when I heard his voice, and it was a bad case of deja-vu with Mason sitting and rocking away on a bare memory foam mattress giving it all his old Bid TV patois. Not a great thing for the Ideal World brand in my opinion, so strongly is he associated with that now discredited defunct Bid & Price Drop set up and all its shortcomings.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Don't forget Outlet Channel with Lisa Brash starts on Sunday on Sky only

I cannot afford Sky TV.
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Mike Mason's legal team are threatening legal action against Shopping Telly Forum for the comments made about him by contributors.

This is after his wife blocked people on Facebook from accessing his fan page that she hasn't vetted first and also privated the Twitter too.

He may need to be careful. There is such a thing as the Barbra Streisand effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18458567
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    One of the last times I saw Mike Mason on Bid TV back in April he was lying on a bed talking about some memory foam mattress and pillows. Just accidentally scanning across freeview this evening and stopped at the Ideal World channel when I heard his voice, and it was a bad case of deja-vu with Mason sitting and rocking away on a bare memory foam mattress giving it all his old Bid TV patois. Not a great thing for the Ideal World brand in my opinion, so strongly is he associated with that now discredited defunct Bid & Price Drop set up and all its shortcomings.

Bid and Price Drop weren't known for their quality. That's for sure. Have any of the other presenters popped up back on TV do you know? t
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Wikipedia he joined Gems TV in May 2014 and left in June 2014! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Simon_%28presenter%29
  • Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to today's Gem's TV listing's he's back tonight at 10pm.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is this Outlet TV channel then as I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere two or three weeks ago that Bid and Price Drop TV could return or the owners had agreed some sort of a deal unless it was old news, but I'm sure it said that it has paved the way for a return of the channels so is Outlet TV a re-launched Bid and Price Drop?.

If it is I feel it is a shame as we do not need these channels giving Shopping TV a bad name because at the end of the day in times of wider problems affecting high street names, it appears that even the big names you would've thought were safe are not always safe.

I would just not like QVC and Ideal World to go under which I consider/know to be far better and honest channels and businesses.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    I would just not like QVC and Ideal World to go under which I consider/know to be far better and honest channels and businesses.

It's for that reason alone that QVC and Ideal World are still trading (and doing very well so I'm led to believe)...
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's for that reason alone that QVC and Ideal World are still trading (and doing very well so I'm led to believe)...

I would think the reason QVC and Ideal World are still trading is because QVC are in many countries and can do worldwide deals with product companies and Ideal World has been around for 14 years as a TV channel and before that was a mail order company since the 80s. If you take bid tv for example because their products were auctions and price drops most companies don't want their products sold cheaply, on ebay, in discount stores and pound shops because it brings down the value of their products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to today's Gem's TV listing's he's back tonight at 10pm.

Good news Lesley and I will tune in, however the listing might not have been updated. Not pictured as a host on the Gemporia website.
  • Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My listing was updated this afternoon and he's not on now it's Mark Gould instead.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideal world morphing into bidtv now they have paul becque, mike mason and now Charlie Charleston (so called diy expert). And now ideal world doing the same products everyday.
    Ideal world better be careful, otherwise they will flop like bidtv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My listing was updated this afternoon and he's not on now it's Mark Gould instead.

There was a woman on at 10 PM Lesley.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Ideal world morphing into bidtv now they have paul becque, mike mason and now Charlie Charleston (so called diy expert). And now ideal world doing the same products everyday.
    Ideal world better be careful, otherwise they will flop like bidtv.
    Why would another company like Ideal World want to have on screen presentations made by over familiar faces they have taken on from a now discredited shopping channel? Seeing one of them purely by accident the other night I simply equated Ideal World with having gone downmarket into the Bid & Price Drop ethic. Unfair it may be, but perception is everything.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only that but last weekend I saw advertised on Ideal World that they were now live from 7am until midnight and they also have a brand new show at I think it is 9am every weekday morning which is an auction show, when I saw this I thought WTF.

But aren't Ideal World owned by the former owners of Bid and Price Drop?, forgive me if I am wrong but whatever we do not want Ideal World to go the same way as Bid and Price Drop as you say.

Having said that if they did then QVC I would say would go on forever as their main competition would have gone, I would just also add that I do find it very fishy indeed that they now have three former Bid/Price Drop presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the person who asked about Outlet Channel this is the disaster in a few sentences:

The Channel's head promised much but when it came to actually doing it was a different thing.

As he owned a number of high street stores in the North West he assumed starting a tv channel would be simple, he promised to listen to viewers and comments made on Shopping Telly Forum and take comments on board.

The channel started with promise it too on board Lisa Brash and had a clean presentable
    look but things soon went downhill after the first broadcast (which were pre-recorded), the second night the wrong recording was shown and again the third broadcast was the wrong tape.

Initial comments were made including the small claustrophobic set and the recording amongst others as comments were made the MD got increasingly frustrated with suggestions being made and walked away from Shopping Telly Forum, after just one recording Lisa Brash walked away stating she wanted live tv, then they started just showing the same recording of gardening products before closing down their website stating a rethink and they would be back shortly, they then shut down their Facebook.

As far as I know they channel no longer trades, it was a case of a company who thought they could do everything their own way and not listen to the people who were watching.

One comment he made included was the it was the product people wanted to see not the set or presenter to which I replied if Sky News was just a person sat in front of a fake wall would it be the same as it is with a huge newsroom set.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Sally Jacks?

As a side note, the owner of that Shopping Telly forum is a complete moron.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    What about Sally Jacks?

As a side note, the owner of that Shopping Telly forum is a complete moron.

She does a selling show on Youtube on Wednesday's I believe and I think she has another project as well look on her website.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I cannot afford Sky TV.

He may need to be careful. There is such a thing as the Barbra Streisand effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18458567

Bid and Price Drop weren't known for their quality. That's for sure. Have any of the other presenters popped up back on TV do you know? t
    yes i saw peter simon on gems tv the other evening
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes i saw peter simon on gems tv the other evening

He left GEMS TV in June I believe, unless you know different. :confused:
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Simon joins ideal world Wed night as a guest presenter from 8pm and 10pm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Thanks for that update Sb. :)
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those missing Marina Berry, she's on The Jewellery Channel right now..
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »

http://www.theretailbulletin.com/news/tv_shopping_presenter_peter_simon_joins_ideal_world_tv_03-09-14/
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what IW is trying to achieve. Having ported over presenters and "experts" from Bid they have started also bringing in various products from Bid. Heck they even had a warehouse clearance the other day! Why are they morphing in to a clone of the failed Bid? Their pick of the day are and endless loop of the same products day after day.