Options

Sky News new lineup

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
Forum Member
Apologies if there is already a thread open on this but I see this morning that Sky News are giving 'appointment to view' programming another go, this will certainly make me more inclined to watch. Not sure about Adam Bolton though, no doubt he will be even more airbrushed and smiley on his new show, which I don't think is really him at all! :D

http://news.sky.com/story/1327462/sky-news-tonight-show-takes-fresh-approach

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol they will need a new caption writer as yesterday on the white strap they had "Hosue" instead of "house" and Experets" on the breaking strap instead of Experts.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they've changed a few presenters around ? How is this ''appointment to view'' ? I'm interested in the news not Boulton and others huffing and puffing.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Martin Stanford ? He is about the best on Sky, very good indeed. Seems to be getting shunted around too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Martin Stanford ? He is about the best on Sky, very good indeed. Seems to be getting shunted around too

Can't bear Martin hope he gets shunted out the door, he is doing weekends now I think and probably some geek gadget show to make up for being moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes an excellent presenter, ought to be given a prime slot.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the lovely Anna Botting is still on at 9 they can reshuffle as much as they like.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Going back to double headed presentation after they said it was dated etc?

I still can't believe they let go of Chris Roberts. He was a fine newcaster. The only anchor they have left I rate as highly as Chris is Mark Longhurst but he's in a fairly low key slot these days on weekend evenings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »

I still can't believe they let go of Chris Roberts. He was a fine newcaster. The only anchor they have left I rate as highly as Chris is Mark Longhurst but he's in a fairly low key slot these days on weekend evenings.
    They haven't gone back to it Adam and Sarah did this show at 1pm everyday

Low key slot?? 9pm?
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Not liking this new Sky News Tonight thing. Sky have never been good at a sort of magazine news show ( I remember the awful Littlejohn shows from a few years ago).

Adam Boulton is not very good as a presenter.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Longhurst is an annoying prat, he's Sky's version of Niki Campbell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They haven't gone back to it Adam and Sarah did this show at 1pm everyday
    Did you even bother to read the article? Colin Brazier and Jayne Secker on weekday mornings followed by Dermot Murnaghan and Anna Jones in the afternoon is a clear change on either Brazier or Murnaghan presenting daytime on their own, is it not?
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who still watches Sky News? Had a quick look at the new show tonight, and it looks cheap and tacky. Music is horrid as usual aswell. Horrible backdrop to the newsroom aswell. Sky's lost it big time.

If they want to see how news is done, they should look at AJE or CNNi.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

God, not still this. Christ Roberts couldn't have been that good, as I've not seem him on anything else since...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you even bother to read the article? Colin Brazier and Jayne Secker on weekday mornings followed by Dermot Murnaghan and Anna Jones in the afternoon is a clear change on either Brazier or Murnaghan presenting daytime on their own, is it not?

No I didn't see the link so I apologise, and agree with you it will not work as when they tried it before it was too costly and they had presenters just stood looking at the one doing the talking.

It will not work unless you have the personalities, years ago Anna Botting and Bob Friend worked because Bob's personality bounced off Anna.

Anna Jones is too boring to make it interesting, what could have worked is a CNN New Day type situation with a main presenter introducing a major news item and a side presenter reading the headlines.

What Sky need to do is incorporate the Sunrise set up of having headlines rather than focusing on one or two stories.

Interesting Kay is staying on her own is this by choice and refused to share her slot (excuse the expression) or could they find no one willing to sit with her, I am sure Frank Partridge is still haunting the Sky News Centre. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth the best and worst on Sky News in no particular order:

Best:
    Eamonn Holmes
    Lorna Dunkley
    Paula Middlehurst
    Isobel Webster
    Anna Botting
    Sarah Jane Mee

Worst
    Stephen Dixon
    Martin Stanford
    Colin Brazier
    Dermot Murnaghan
    Anna Jones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    God, not still this. Christ Roberts couldn't have been that good, as I've not seem him on anything else since...
    AFAIK he still freelances occasionally for British Forces News and LBC Radio. Also runs his own media company, so not exactly doing badly for himself.

I do agree with you that this new Sky News Tonight programme is crap. Not sure Boulton has ever been that good a presenter anyway, his main talents are quite clearly reporting and interviewing. If he no longer wants to be political editor, surely a Newsnight style show on his own would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Who still watches Sky News? Had a quick look at the new show tonight, and it looks cheap and tacky. Music is horrid as usual aswell. Horrible backdrop to the newsroom aswell. Sky's lost it big time.

If they want to see how news is done, they should look at AJE or CNNi.

The BBC News channel frequently outguns Sky on stories now and they are much more reliable on breaking news, they check their facts before throwing it on the air.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Before you start having a go at others I think YOU need to read the link first yourself

Dermot Murnaghan OR Anna Jones not AND. Dermot is hosting 3 days and Anna 3, it isn't a double header
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before you start having a go at others I think YOU need to read the link first yourself

Dermot Murnaghan OR Anna Jones not AND. Dermot is hosting 3 days and Anna 3, it isn't a double header

Is Dermot still doing his Sunday morning show ? I suppose he needs the time off to do Eggheads in Glasgow.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So double headed from 9AM-12PM only. I'm dreadfully sorry. Still, it's very inconsistent so no wonder it's causing a bit of confusion. The only slot that needs to have a distinctly different format is breakfast, the rest they can package differently all they want but it won't do them any good. All IMO, of course.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Boulton was a so-so political reporter in his younger days but he's been poor for a long time now, and has never been much good as a presenter.

I'm astonished Sky didn't give the Political Editor job to Jon Craig when Boulton moved on. He has a solid politics background and is very good doing pieces to camera.

I saw Faisal Islam on Sky News doing a piece to camera outside Downing St the other day and he was all over the place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Adam Boulton was a so-so political reporter in his younger days but he's been poor for a long time now, and has never been much good as a presenter.

I'm astonished Sky didn't give the Political Editor job to Jon Craig when Boulton moved on. He has a solid politics background and is very good doing pieces to camera.

I saw Faisal Islam on Sky News doing a piece to camera outside Downing St the other day and he was all over the place.

Maybe Jon and Joey didn't want it and they are happy in the roles they have.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    For what it's worth the best and worst on Sky News in no particular order:

Best:
    Eamonn Holmes
    Lorna Dunkley
    Paula Middlehurst
    Isobel Webster
    Anna Botting
    Sarah Jane Mee

Worst
    Stephen Dixon
    Martin Stanford
    Colin Brazier
    Dermot Murnaghan
    Anna Jones

Where does Kay Burley fit in all this. Presumably she's that bad she has a category all off her own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does Kay Burley fit in all this. Presumably she's that bad she has a category all off her own.

I have a feeling she doesn't fit in to any known category:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the middle with the presenters I have not listed as she is watchable mostly in case she sticks her foot in her mouth while reporting.